Breastfeeding megathread

This week! Starting yesterday!

Have fun with your babies ladies..

http://www.breastfeeding.nhs.uk/

But I still haven't figured out what the nhs is doing, event wise, to make people more aware (nor anyone else in Sheffield for that matter). No one I've spoken to is even aware that it's breast feeding awareness week :huh:

On a brighter note, as a result of my enquiries I am starting training tomorrow to become a breast feeding peer support person :)

Hi all, theres a breast feeding picnic in the town centre on Friday (18th May) as part of National Breastfeeding week. Its from 11am-2pm in the peace gardens (fine weather) or winter gardens (rain!).

Its been organised by Sure Start peer supporters (i think) and its a case of bring your own food and something to sit on. Not just for breast feeding mums- pregnant women, family, friends, any other mums, former breastfeeders etc. anyone who wants to show support.

I went last year and it was lovely- really enjoyed it. My partner dropped in on his lunch break too, as did another dad and they were both made very welcome.

I'm still feeding my 17month old but probably won't make it as I'm working (boo!) but I would recommend it others.

Hope some of you can go- I think its great for others to see mums out and about breastfeeding, I make a habit of getting them out whenever neccesary and have never had negative comments- only support!

Further to the above- if you need more info contact Tracey on 07913380594- this is contact details on a flyer I have about the event.

it sounds lovely. Not sure I'll dare go on my own with the baby though...

i didnt BF with my first but thought id give it a go when this one comes, but i have no idea how to do it, what to do, how many feeds a day, how often, how long-what stuff to buy including my tops to be discreet

so any help will be greatly received

i didnt do it with my 1st as the idea completely grosses me out, but then i dont think i can knock it til ive tried it so help help please!

Natalie, If you are interested the NCT will help you, I've got a friend thats a breast feeding counselor, I can ask her , If you like.

yes please any info wil be great, sort of asked a friend and she spoke of pumps and cups and expressing?? sounds scary! but yes, any info woul dbe really helpful-im not going ot force myself, hopefully just go with the flow and see if baby is ok with it and that im comfortable too-once i know how!

Hi there

Brilliant news that you are considering BF this time:D As you are local to Hillsborough there is a dropin at Hillsborough Junior Library on a Monday 10.30 to 12.30 every week. You dont have to have had your baby yet and can go and have a chat with people about what its like etc. Its really good that you are getting the info before you start:D If you have got any questions please feel free to ask - I can try and help.

As for how long it takes etc it really depends on the baby. It can feel in the early days that feeding is all you seem to be doing but that soon passes. After a few weeks my little boy was taking all his feed in 10-15 mins. I cant really say how often as we always did demand feeding:-o As I am terminally lazy breastfeeding for me was brilliant as there was no sterilising or having to warm up bottles:D I also really loved the warm snuggly breastfeeding cuddles where the baby looked so blissful and fell asleep:love: You can express some milk and let someone else feed the baby if you like (you can use a pump or hand express although this can take some time). As for tops I didnt really have anything different to what I normally wear - t-shirts or long sleeve t-shirts mostly. If you are worried about anyone seeing anything you could always drape a muslin or shawl over your shoulder.

I'm curious too! Everyone I speak to says it is excruciating, but I've read that this is more to do with getting the latching on right. Is it bad, and does it get better?

I'm curious too! Everyone I speak to says it is excruciating, but I've read that this is more to do with getting the latching on right. Is it bad, and does it get better?

I found it a little uncomfortable at the start - probably due to a bad latch or 2 - but this passed after a week or so. All I would say is make sure that you are happy that your breastfeeding is going well before you leave the hospital (or before your Midwives are allowed to leave at a homebirth Zweena - they will help with this and probably spend a lot longer with you that the hospital ones can) and make sure that the community midwives help if you have any problems in the early days. Also any of the phone helplines - NCT, ABM (Association of Breastfeeding Mothers), BFN (Breastfeeding Network) and the Infant feeding advisers at the hospital are invaluble (many will visit you at home if you cant be sorted out over the phone). Another excellent form of support is any of the breastfeeding dropins/ cafes around the city (if you are lucky to be in a Sure Start area you will get excellent acess to these). Make sure you have lots of support at home in the first few weeks so you can concentrate on making sure the BFing works well without having to worry about much else and get lots of rest when you can;) Breastfeeding is great!

Let me reassure you it does not always have to be painful. I breastfed my son and daughter, they both took to it very easily and had no problems at all with latching on. I never experienced any pain. It is so much easier than messing about with bottles and formula milk. If it works for you it is absolutely delightful. Good luck, I really hope you can give yourself and your baby this wonderful experience.