Breastfeeding megathread

Don't know if your in the area but my BIBS group (Breast is best) is having a pamper morning in Penistone. Its on Monday 14th May at St. Johns Community Centre, Seminar Room, Penistone. 10-2

Come along and meet other breast feeding mums, find out how to train to be a breastfeeding peer supporter (like me!).

Find out about our drop in group (Thursdays 1-3, same venue) and other suport available.

Enjoy refreshments and a FREE pamper session - hand massage, facials, foot massage etc.

Contact me via PM if you need more info or directions.

All the best

Thanks and well done, it's good to know there is something going on but I was hoping for a local event. Apparently there's a mass breast feed (I'm sure I've described that wrong!) in Ikea on Monday too

I'm surprised not more is being done to raise awareness. As a new mum I have really struggled to get it right and after just 3 months I still feel I have things to learn!

Don't know if your in the area but my BIBS group (Breast is best) is having a pamper morning in Penistone. Its on Monday 14th May at St. Johns Community Centre, Seminar Room, Penistone. 10-2

Come along and meet other breast feeding mums, find out how to train to be a breastfeeding peer supporter (like me!).

Find out about our drop in group (Thursdays 1-3, same venue) and other suport available.

Enjoy refreshments and a FREE pamper session - hand massage, facials, foot massage etc.

Contact me via PM if you need more info or directions.

All the best

would it be useful to come along if my baby' still a bump???? He's due in 7 weeks

would it be useful to come along if my baby' still a bump

That's a great idea jen, you can learn a lot by chatting with other BF'ing mums! :)

I'm surprised not more is being done to raise awareness. As a new mum I have really struggled to get it right and after just 3 months I still feel I have things to learn!
I entirely agree with how not enough is done to support breastfeeding in Sheffield. It's really sad. I know there are a few 'drop-in' type groups but I imagine most brand new mums who are struggling find it quite hard to get to these groups and there was really minimal support in hospital after my birth. I overheard the staff telling new mums who asked for help to watch the bf video as the staff were just too busy to offer hands on support. I've written to the Green Party to see if there was anything on offer next week and although I got a response, it seemed they were unaware of anything - and were not organizing anything themselves. It's a very sad state of affairs.

true. If it hadn't been for my Mom's support and one of my friends who struggled herself, I couldn't have gone through it all on my own. I felt low at times. Although I'm much better now :)

Still I don't think it's something we should feel ashamed of doing. And I am proud to do it but still daren't do it in public while shopping for instance. I guess I need to have more confidence about it.

Just to say that you don't have to already be breastfeeding to come along. If you are pregnant, or even just thinking about having a little one then do come along. Its just an informal thing to generate some links between mums and prospective mums and to answer any questions. Oh and bring partners too if they have questions - you do need your other half support in this....

Hope to see you there ....

I will be the tall Scottish redhead with the 9 month old girl.

true. If it hadn't been for my Mom's support and one of my friends who struggled herself, I couldn't have gone through it all on my own. I felt low at times. Although I'm much better now :)

Still I don't think it's something we should feel ashamed of doing. And I am proud to do it but still daren't do it in public while shopping for instance. I guess I need to have more confidence about it.

Congrats on your new baby and well done for sticking with breast feeding. It can initially take a bit of extra confidence to feed in public. I tend to think that if people have a problem with it, it's their problem not mine. As I like to point out: it's what they were designed for :hihi: I have only ever had positive comments (people coming up to me to say: good for you). If you'd feel more comfy in a crowd, if you're ever in the Hunters Bar or Broomhill area do pm me if you fancy meeting for coffee. You will generally find me and a small gang of mums and babies breastfeeding in Cafe Uno, the Buddhist Centre Cafe, Endcliffe Park cafe, etc etc. Basically anywhere we can find a comfy seat and a decent coffee, hopefully showing the world (or at least our little bit of it) how normal breast feeding is :)

I heard something on the tv this morning about proposing to bring in a law giving Mums the right to breastfeed in public! As a mum/parent arent we supposed to make decisions we feel right for our own children?

My two are teenagers now, but I bf them both till they were about 1. I did bf in public if the need arose, but certainly didnt flash and flesh.

I really dont see why folk have a problem with it. Its better to see a baby being fed than have it screaming the place down with hunger.

I agree. It's crazy that a woman can be asked to leave a premises or even threatened with prosecution for indecency for simply feeding their child. I don't breastfeed topless! With loose clothing and my baby's head over my breast, my modesty is secure :) It is possible to breastfeed discreetly without the need to hide away in the -few- breastfeeding rooms that exist. As you point out, unless I returned home to feed every two or three hours, without the ability to feed whilst I'm out and about, my baby would be screaming the place down, starving.

The petition is here if anyone feels they'd like to sign it:

http://www.breastfeedingmanifesto.org.uk/

Congrats on your new baby and well done for sticking with breast feeding. It can initially take a bit of extra confidence to feed in public. I tend to think that if people have a problem with it, it's their problem not mine. As I like to point out: it's what they were designed for :hihi: I have only ever had positive comments (people coming up to me to say: good for you). If you'd feel more comfy in a crowd, if you're ever in the Hunters Bar or Broomhill area do pm me if you fancy meeting for coffee. You will generally find me and a small gang of mums and babies breastfeeding in Cafe Uno, the Buddhist Centre Cafe, Endcliffe Park cafe, etc etc. Basically anywhere we can find a comfy seat and a decent coffee, hopefully showing the world (or at least our little bit of it) how normal breast feeding is :)

thanks for the invite! If I ever go round your side of town, I'll definitely PM you.

I've signed the petition and so have 2 of my friends.