Breastfeeding megathread

The medela electric one is great. I paid full wack for mine from mothercare but sold it on ebay for 1/2 the price a few months later (I moved her onto formula) everything can be sterilised so if you don't mind then you'll save a bomb)

medela pumps are the best and get an electric one!

best time to pump is middle of the night to be honest! I used to routinely get loads while baby was night feeding. cold water sterliser at the side of the bed with pump stuff in, build pump straight into a bag and then freeze it.

the bottom drawer of my freezer was full!

I've got a medela swing and I think it's great. I've only used an electric pump, but friends who have manual ones don't seem to use them very often.

In terms of bottles, I've tried a few different ones, but my lo gets on best with tommee tippee closer to nature ones.

hiya,

really nice to hear you are organised however ! imo i would wait a little until baby is here and breast feeding is established .this will give you time to try out hand expression and also if the pump is broken etc if bought closer to time baby is born you could still take it back probably.also some people try cup feeding with a baby that age (not every one likes it though!)i would get organised by cooking and freezing meals instead!:)

I am breastfeeding my 14 week old son on demand. At what point should I stop feeding him on demand? I only ask because when I saw the Health Visitor yesterday she asked 'are you STILL feeding on demand?' like I should be restricting his feeds. I thought, perhaps naiively, that breastfeeding should be continued on demand until weening. Should I start making him have his feeds at certain times, continue with feeding on demand or what?!?!?

I am breastfeeding my 14 week old son on demand. At what point should I stop feeding him on demand? I only ask because when I saw the Health Visitor yesterday she asked 'are you STILL feeding on demand?' like I should be restricting his feeds. I thought, perhaps naiively, that breastfeeding should be continued on demand until weening. Should I start making him have his feeds at certain times, continue with feeding on demand or what?!?!?

Your health visitor is an ass. If you are going to carry on breastfeeding then I would carry on breastfeeding on demand. You will feel shattered sometimes so make sure you are eating and drinking plenty. Your baby will settle in too his own pattern. Babies cant read the health visitors book so he dosent know what she expects. Silly woman. Sorry anyway enjoy your little bundle and relax and enjoy the time feeding him. It passes too quickly as it is.

I fed my son on demand and eventually he worked himself into a pattern. After that I did to some extent regulate his feeds in that I did start to plan my day round them e.g. if I was leaving him with someone I'd do it when I knew he wouldn't normally feed. After he had found his own pattern I would say that I encouraged him to stick to it. If you are happy with the way things are going now I wouldn't change anything.

What I did was jot down when Addy ate, slept, fed, etc and worked it out from there. We refused to use books and worked out a routine based on him. After a week of noting these things I noticed a pattern of 3 hourly feeds. And on demand at any other time. HVs are often contradictory (one said I was foolish to do baby weaning and the other raved about how good it was!)

As above! My daughter was fed on demand till she was about 18 months, but she'd got herself into a routine by then anyway. She then just went onto morning and night feeds till she was 2. If you're happy, stick with it! He'll get himself into a routine when he's ready. Blooming HV's, mine almost had a heart attack when she found out she was still having bm at 6 months!