Sign in to follow this  

Cable to wirless router

right to start with i am very thick , so please be as plain talking as you can ,

i am on telewest (or whatever its called this week)

my connection to the net is as follows cable from outside>cable modem>pc.

the modem to pc cable is ethernet to a usb port on my pc

so far so good

now i have got a new laptop with wifi, so i went and got a wireless 11g adsl router,

now how do i connect the router into the system, it has a adsl input and 4 rj 45 outputs

or have i got the wrong type of router, if so can sombody put a link up to the correct type of router?

any of this making any sence still?

You bought the wrong router. You dont want one with the ADSL input, it needs an ethernet (rj45) input. Then you connect an rj45 cable from the modem to the WAN port of the router, and connect the main PC to one of the other 4 rj45 connectors, and wireless with the laptop.

this will do the job.

There is some basic information on setting up a home network (wired or wireless), and the equipment you'll need at http://www.networksforhome.com/.

I agree: it looks like you've purchased an ADSL router. I use this with Virgin Media cable and find it to be excellent. It was dead easy to set up as well; you don't even need to use the included CD:

• Turn the PC off and disconnect the cable modem from the mains.

• Unplug the RJ45 cable from the back of the modem and plug in the RJ45 cable provided with the router.

• Using the cable provided with the router that you've just plugged into the modem, plug it into the router using the Internet port. (The one furthest away from the cluster of four ports.)

• Plug the cable leading from your PC into the first of the four available ports.

• Now plug the cable modem in and wait a few seconds for the lights to settle.

• Plug the router in and wait for the lights to settle.

• Fire the PC up and open your browser and enter the address for the router config page. (With Linksys this is http://192.168.1.1)

• Change the SSID to a name of your choice.

• Set the security for your router; I recommend WPA and NOT WEP unless you REALLY have to. Choose a difficult to guess passphrase. I used this site to generate a random long passphrase. Make sure you save it to a Notepad file on each of the devices you need to connect wirelessly though because you'll never remember it!

That's it: job done!

Hope this helps.

:)

thanks for your comments, i have taken slh73's advice and it comes tommorrow,if i never come online again i am having problems

thanks for your comments, i have taken slh73's advice and it comes tommorrow,if i never come online again i am having problems

There shouldn't be any problems really- they're dead easy to set up. Just follow the quickstart guide instructions which should match what I wrote above and you're away. Just remember to secure your network.

Best of luck with it (not that you need luck!) and let us know how you get on.

pluged all the wires in , rebooted the system, all works , not sure how to make it safe tho, so others cannot use it. but powered the laptop up , and it was working there too

thanks all

pluged all the wires in , rebooted the system, all works , not sure how to make it safe tho, so others cannot use it. but powered the laptop up , and it was working there too

thanks all

Is there a quickstart guide with it? If not, follow my steps above. If it's a Linksys then you should be able to access the config page with this.... http://192.168.1.1/ .... address in Internet Explorer. Change the SSID (the name of your network) to something of your choosing then find the security tab, select WPA and enter a passphrase. It's essential you secure your network for it to be safe.

On the password screen that appears when you visit the router config screen, leave the username blank and enter 'admin' as the password. I recommend you change this when you set things up in the config pages.

i think its set up as per your post , anyway it let me back on the net , so thats good , well good for me .;-]

i think its set up as per your post , anyway it let me back on the net , so thats good , well good for me .;-]

Excellent stuff! Your network's secure now; just remember your passphrase, or, if it's a random garble of letters, numbers and characters like mine, keep it safe in a Notepad file in case you need it at a later date!