Meynell Road School - 1958 - 64

Yep,don't know how I forgot 'Norman Michael'Garbutt,he was our teacher for a while.He sounded like a Geordie & was a westling fanatic,in fact he used to take some of us to places like Rotherham baths to watch it.Then,I remember Fairhirst being our form teacher one year.Yep,remember Wardlow too.Don't know if we were in same year but here are a few of my class mates,Frank Ellis-Pete Clark-Dennis Hughes-Mick Deakin-Mick Young-Pearl Thompson-Teresa Mullen-Jaqui Davies-Reg Wilson & loads more I can't think of.

Mick Garbutt was a geordie, it was the metalwork teacher that had Black Mamba, cant remember his name. Remember miss Wardlow WOW had a crush on her. Remember all these names. Chris nadin

[email protected]

My name is Harry Gillott i was at Meynell from 1960 till leaving at 15.Have never kept in touch with anyone apart from Mick Hawley who i see occasionaly. I always wondered what happened to my swimming friend John Jubb and my very first girl friend Valerie Smith. I would be happy to hear from anyone that new me. Email [email protected].

Harry

The name rings a bell! Regards Chris Nadin (Noddy) ps knew the Hawleys

Your name rings a bell Harry although you're probably a couple of years older than me.Val married Ted Brown,her youger sister Barbara was in my class.I had 3 cousins who went there,Mick Brown,who was in my year and his 2 older brothers Derek & Joe who might have been in your year.

Hi again Ted, and anyone from Meynell that may have any photographs of the period 1961/64 form pics or cross country team pics. All mine have been lost in the mist of time. Many thanks Chris Nadin

Edited by birichen
Spelling

I have put several photos on Friends-reunited - have a look and see if any are relevant

I started at Meynell Road School in the 50s. My first teacher was Miss Jewell who was verey nice and, the headmistress was Mrs Segeant with whom we had reading tests.

Does anyone remember going to the after school play groups? Or getting covered in mud where the stream ran and the rushes grew.

I stayed there until they closed down the secondary school which was housed in prefabricated buildings.

I can't remember may of the other teachers names did any one go there at the same time? and if so can you remember any names?

Mick Garbutt was a geordie, it was the metalwork teacher that had Black Mamba, cant remember his name. Remember miss Wardlow WOW had a crush on her. Remember all these names. Chris nadin

[email protected]

Well so did all the red blooded lads . :love:

Hello Steveb I remember watching 1966 world cup at your house. In fact I was always there as your sister S. was my best friend all those years ago. Hope you have all prospered.

---------- Post added 02-02-2015 at 19:04 ----------

G'day everyone I went to Meynell Road starting in 2nd year of juniors about 1962 and left to go to Southy Green High in 1965. My name is Steve Beatson . I remember Mrs Sargent headmistress , Mr Ford anyone play in his orchestra ? Mrs Beaumont , Mr Plant. Houses were Lion ,Unicorn can't remember the other two

Watched world cup 1966 at your house .. your sister S and I were best friends and yes I was in Mr Ford's orchestra .. played the cello and first tune I had to play was the theme music to the TV programme 'Top of the Form' which we seemed to play a heckl of a lot! Mr Ford had a tin of sweets he shared with those that joined the orchestra. Was one of the Longmore boys in your class .. K. was the eldest of the boys but there was also B and T.. twins. J. the eldest girl and T. was same age as myself and your sister ..who incidentally used to make me laugh out loud as she showed sisterly annoyance at the antics of you and your brother M. Hope life has been kind to you all.

---------- Post added 02-02-2015 at 19:14 ----------

Hello Steveb I remember watching 1966 world cup at your house. In fact I was always there as your sister S. was my best friend all those years ago. Hope you have all prospered.

---------- Post added 02-02-2015 at 19:04 ----------

Watched world cup 1966 at your house .. your sister S and I were best friends and yes I was in Mr Ford's orchestra .. played the cello and first tune I had to play was the theme music to the TV programme 'Top of the Form' which we seemed to play a heck of a lot! Mr Ford had a tin of sweets he shared with those that joined the orchestra. Was one of the Longmore boys in your class .. K. was the eldest of the boys but there was also B and T.. twins. J. the eldest girl and T. was same age as myself and your sister ..who incidentally used to make me laugh out loud as she showed sisterly annoyance at the antics of you and your brother M. Hope life has been kind to you all.

Remember how to spell my name Beaumont = Boiled Eggs Are Useful Mostly On Nice Toast. This was repeated every class.

Edited by ragdoll

Yes l remember David Jenkins he was in the same class has me left in 1963

---------- Post added 14-07-2015 at 16:16 ----------

I left in 1964 - went to Granville College - I remember Mrs Cryer PE and Mr Plant. Also Mr Bunting (I was in his class in one of the prefabs) Mr Fairhearst who was scary. Some of the pupils I remember are - Keith Willougby, Robert Farrish, Freddie Porter, Geoffrey Wigfall, Jacqueline Smout, Lynda Houston, Linda Burrows, Linda Rodgers - I could go on but don't want to bore you.

l remember a lot of the names you mention l used to be best friends with Linda Burrows but now lost touch with her

---------- Post added 14-07-2015 at 16:18 ----------

I remember all those names very well. My name was then Raymond Ridgeway and I was there till 63 I think. So who are all you guys and gals. My e-mail is

[email protected] Would love to hear from anyone who knew me

Hi Raymond l remember you my name Diane Finney

I remember you Diane and I think you are once of the photos I have put on Friends Reunited. We are dancing in the quadrangle and on the main picture I think its you between Ann Law and Carol Coldwell.

Linda Burrows lived near my grandma on Doe Royd Cresecent

Yes it was me l remember my mother having that photo , but don't know where it went ,is Linda Burrows still living on Doe royd