Meynell Road School - 1958 - 64

Yep.Iwas there in that era.Left in 64' & moved up to Chaucer for final year,and yes,I thought same as you Chris,what a waste of time that last year was.Think I was in same year as you Chris,also knew Dave & Gary Southwell,think one was year above me & other one year below.

Would you believe it, I went to a keep fit class last Friday and who do I bump into but Trevor Hoskins, I hadn't seen him for years, it was sods law that I only mentioned him and others in my last thread, he told me that sadly Alan Gillot a former friend had died only recently it was nice to go back to our teenage years and remember what strokes we used to pull, the only bad thing is I can't remember what I did yesterday !!!!!!!!!

• 1 month later...

My Dad, Colin Fullard, taught there for years - when it was also a senior school. He went on to make it to 92 years old, probably helped by retiring early!

I used to go to the school's summer camp with him - Kessingland? - and remember scoring about 500 runs (?!) playing cricket on a sunny beach down there, probably in the mid-1950s.

All the school's kids treated me like one of their own - I was never made to feel like 'Teacher's Kid'.

If any of you are out there, thanks for some great times - apart from an outbreak of flu one year - think Elvis's Heartbreak Hotel was playing in the next hut (1956).

My Dad, Colin Fullard, taught there for years - when it was also a senior school. He went on to make it to 92 years old, probably helped by retiring early!

I used to go to the school's summer camp with him - Kessingland? - and remember scoring about 500 runs (?!) playing cricket on a sunny beach down there, probably in the mid-1950s.

All the school's kids treated me like one of their own - I was never made to feel like 'Teacher's Kid'.

If any of you are out there, thanks for some great times - apart from an outbreak of flu one year - think Elvis's Heartbreak Hotel was playing in the next hut (1956).

Sorry,don't recall the name.I was there until 63/64 and the teachers I can remember are,Hemmings(head)Plant(deputy head) Fairhirst-Flemming-Halliday-Williams-Knowels-Knight-Plendleith-Russell.Probably a few more that I've forgot.

Hi Redted, I was at Meynell until May 1963 when I left to go to Hartley Brook and I remember the teachers you name. Do you remember Garbutt, the Sports teacher and the very pretty Miss Wardlow? I was in Fairhurst's class and Fleming had an awesome reputation with the cane (his stick - did he call it "the black mamba" or something?)

Smary - you lived on Browning Road, did you know George Weldon and the Brearley twins, Christine and Ann ? I lived on Bullen Road and went to Foxhill Junior School before going to Meynell.

Hi Redted, I was at Meynell until May 1963 when I left to go to Hartley Brook and I remember the teachers you name. Do you remember Garbutt, the Sports teacher and the very pretty Miss Wardlow? I was in Fairhurst's class and Fleming had an awesome reputation with the cane (his stick - did he call it "the black mamba" or something?)

Smary - you lived on Browning Road, did you know George Weldon and the Brearley twins, Christine and Ann ? I lived on Bullen Road and went to Foxhill Junior School before going to Meynell.

Yep,don't know how I forgot 'Norman Michael'Garbutt,he was our teacher for a while.He sounded like a Geordie & was a westling fanatic,in fact he used to take some of us to places like Rotherham baths to watch it.Then,I remember Fairhirst being our form teacher one year.Yep,remember Wardlow too.Don't know if we were in same year but here are a few of my class mates,Frank Ellis-Pete Clark-Dennis Hughes-Mick Deakin-Mick Young-Pearl Thompson-Teresa Mullen-Jaqui Davies-Reg Wilson & loads more I can't think of.

Redted, thanks for reminding me about Garbutt's love for wrestling,(Jackie Pallo and all that). I think he was from Sunderland and as it happens I have an old photo with him and the Junior football team of which I was a member.

Other players on the photo include Dave Hetherington, Gordon Bradshaw, Glenn Bramhall, Billy Kenny, John ? Reynolds, Roger Brammer and Dennis Hill (Chile), to name a few.

My classmates were Dave Hetherington and Gordon and Glenn mentioned above. I also remember a couple you mention, Hughes and Mick Deakin. Do you remember Charlie Conway, was he in your class? - I bought my first bike from him for 30 bob !