Meynell Road School - 1958 - 64

I agree with the house names I was in Drake. But can't remember any of the paintings mentioned.

The paintings were outside Mr Hemmings room. They were about 12inches by 10 inches.

If they were turned round the old house names and colours could be seen.

Only saw then a couple of times, but I think Churchill was Blue and Chang h'i Chek was red.

It seems so long ago, but fond memories remain.

I left in April 59.

I was there about the same time, with Margaret Quixall and a girl called Felicity Dawn Revill. Some other names are Kathryn Jackson, Pamela Green, Susan Warren. Patricia Woodhead, Lyn Land and I do remember Yvonne Wood(was sorry to hear she died young).

Some of the boys, Keith Willoughby(who I think died young) Freddie Porter, Robert Farrish, Ian Rogers, Jeffrey Wigfall. Anyone of them out there?

hello smary, Ian Rodgers here, good to know you remember so many from Meynell. I was great friends with Keith Willoughby and Geoff Wigfull, Fred Porter was stick thin but very good footballer. Really sorry to hear about Keith he was a good friend.

Hi Ian, I remember you - we used to hang around with Robert Farrish - do you remember me - Susan Hibbert? I live hundreds of miles away but heard about Keith from someone but not sure if its true.

I lived on Browning Drive with Geoff Wigfull and Leslie Wressle

What ever happened to Mick Garbutt? He definately was wrestling mad. It was said that he and several other teachers went to Canada to teach when Meynell closed down. Does anyone know if thats true? As for the kids that went to Meynell I too remember Ted Fowler, Dennis Hill, John Young, Mick Young, Pete Clark. Seems that if you could play cricket or footy well, you where in with the teachers, I couldn`t but I was a good runner, had to be or I got beat up.I remember Mr Halliday, he gave an entire class of boys the slipper, we were all in fits of laughter by the time he had finished. Fiery Fred Fleming, Meynells very own mad man, he wouldn`t be allowed anywhere near a school in this day and age, let alone in the community! I remember when he reduced Cathy Petch to a shivering wreck, she was off school for weeks after that and no-one said a word. I hated the malicious b----r, he only took to a kid if he thought they clever academically, us other thickies were just scum in his eyes. I cant remember the name of the old guy who took us for metalwork, Knowles I think, he had a cane that he called his Black Mamba. It was wrapped in black tape and it stung. One day some bright spark hid it up the furnace chimney, he never found it! Is there anyone out there that remembers any of the 1963/4 cross country team? A photo would be great.
regarding Pop Knowles vanishing cane?It was Johnny Kay who hid it,He had us lined up to cane us for something and got called out for something and told us to wait there and when he nipped out John stuck his cane up the furnace like you said.He went mad.Lol

does anyone remember Kay & Tina Forrest they lived at 22 Meynell Road

Yes JoanieJ, I knew Kay very well. Was you an old friend? Can you private message?

---------- Post added 21-09-2018 at 18:40 ----------

Started at Meynell Rd Infants School in 1960 and went all through Juniors. Does anyone remember the Longmores who lived on Palgrave?

My brother married Anne longmore who I think is probably the Longmore children’s aunt

Thanks for reply Birichen. Wouldn't know Anne but assuming she would be paternal Aunt? They lived at number 22

I went to meynell (my name then Maureen Ward) in 63 Mr Hallidays class then went to Chaucer does anyone remember the boys who use to take off step toe and son 

I was at meynell 55 to 58. Teachers I remember are Fleming Johnson Kelly Salt Hemmings Yospur ( He died when I was in the second year ) Plant. Fleming married one of the teachers don't know who. I was in Nelson (Blue ) and ran in the cross country team. Came from Foxhill School and lived on Bullen Road. Had friends called Billy Dawes , Philip Child's and his sister Christine , Sydney Grub . If I remember correctly one of the lads at school was killed whilst climbing on pipes near some sewer  works. Remember going to Rutland Road Baths and Hillsborough! but still coUld not swim. After school went to the Youth Cub ran by Mr &Mrs Jones who lived on Foxhill Road . My memory is not very good for names. One thing that stands out is being caned by Fleming , this guy should never have been allowed anywhere where there were children.

Oops Forgot to say I am Tony Brocklehurst.

I too was on the receiving end of Flemmings cane. Not a pleasant experience. His words to me and the other lad Walter, were "you will not be writing this morning". And we could not. My hads were swollen and I could not pick up a pen. Walter swore at him calling him a , a b......,  Fleming went puce and sent him to Mr Hemmings office for his own protection.  I remember it all too well.