Meynell Road School - 1958 - 64

Hi Doreen Mac. Unfortunately I was told this last year that Miss Wardlow had died (breast cancer) apparently she never married but was much loved by the staff and pupils at the school that she went to, somewhere down south I believe

Anyone remember Mr Dyson and Mr Ford they would have been around 1960 ish. More names that have come to mind, Susan Armitage and Sheila Bemrose who lived on Southey Green Road. Also Linda Doncaster who had a brother Tony, along with Linda Hous Jacqueline Smout who all lived Wordsworth Crescent.

I remember these but they were a year older, Michael Bemrose was in same class as me, I also new Yvonne Wood & Linda Oxley, but I know Yvonne died in here 20/30s. Very sad. Anyway if anyone remembers me (Doreen Mackenzie) lived on Palgrave Road, leave message on this site and I will reply with my contact number. Greetings to you all.

---------- Post added 26-02-2018 at 20:18 ----------

My name is Harry Gillott i was at Meynell from 1960 till leaving at 15.Have never kept in touch with anyone apart from Mick Hawley who i see occasionaly. I always wondered what happened to my swimming friend John Jubb and my very first girl friend Valerie Smith. I would be happy to hear from anyone that new me. Email Harleyd8@live.co.uk.

Harry

Can you possibly get me a contact number for Valerie or Barbara Smith? I was a close friend to Valerie at school, I have been trying to contact old school friends.

---------- Post added 28-02-2018 at 12:29 ----------

Is there anybody out there. Don't be shy. Won't bite you too hard!!!

Edited by Doreen Mac

I was there until it’s closure in 64 then on to Chaucer for final year. Barbara Smith was in my class. Chris Nadin

Hi Chris, if you ever see either Barbara or Val, try to get a telephone no for me.Much appreciated.

I was there about the same time, with Margaret Quixall and a girl called Felicity Dawn Revill. Some other names are Kathryn Jackson, Pamela Green, Susan Warren. Patricia Woodhead, Lyn Land and I do remember Yvonne Wood(was sorry to hear she died young).

Some of the boys, Keith Willoughby(who I think died young) Freddie Porter, Robert Farrish, Ian Rogers, Jeffrey Wigfall. Anyone of them out there?

I remember some of these,Lynn Land Lived in house next to school, Keith just up road from me, (didn't know he died young), they were in year above me. Linda Oxley lived next door to me, anyone see her about?

Well I say he died young he seemed to disappear so perhaps my assumption is incorrect. I do remember Linda Oxley, and yes Lyn's house was next to the school. I also remember Ann Law. The Doncaster twins Linda and Tony.

Lynn Land lived 2 doors up from me on Meynell Rd indeed we went out together for a little while. So many names that I can recall but can`t seem to put a face to- 68 tomorrow and the brain is dissolving. I really hardly see anyone even though I still live quite local. From birth until now I have lived Palgrave rd, Wilcox Close, Meynell Rd and wolfe rd. before getting married and living in Southey Green. I have a pic of Lynn sat around a table in our house at a family meal somewhere

If you lived near Lynn you may also remember Margaret Mitchell, a couple of doors away, or Dennis Bullas across road?. My other classmates at school were Elaine Worne, Denise Peacock, David Hetherington, Billy Kenny, Steven Butler just to name a few. Has there been any reunions?

Margaret Mitchell lived next door to us. Most of the names I remember. Billy Kenny was in group that practiced at Meynell youth club at the same time as I did with another group. All these other folk would have been in the year above me.

Fiery Fred Fleming as he was known. Was a madman and should never have been allowed near children. Had it been now he would be in prison or held at her majesty's pleasure in a secure mental unit

---------- Post added 12-05-2017 at 00:04 ----------

Hi Susan I remember you and you where very quiet ?

Just found this site. I remember FLEMING and he reduced a kid to calling him a b.....d in class. Went very quite and then sent him to Mr Hemmings room.

Doe's anyone remember Mrs Cox the secretary?

Hi Doreen Mac. I knew Yvonne Wood very well as i lived next door to her for over 20 years.She passed away in August 1988 aged just 40.She had a daughter only a few months old when she died.The last time i saw Yvonne was at a football match at Highbury in the early eighties as she was a staunch wednaysdayite. She lived in London at the time of her death but the funeral was in Sheffield.