Meynell Road School - 1958 - 64

Yes Albert did go to Meynell, I was friends with his sister Margaret. I think there was three sisters and Albert and George. They lived on Doe Royd Crescent.

Did anyone see the photo of the Meynell Road teachers in last saturdays Star , retro section.

Taken around 1955 some of the teachers I recognised were Fairhurst, Fleming, Bunting ,Brammall & Hemmings.Lot of women teachers I didn't know.

any chance of a copy of the photo - thats my era. I have tried looking on the Star site but couldn't find it

Hi I went to meynell road school Teresa Mullen my best friend was Pearl Thompson I remember Mr Ford he never called me by my first name it was always Mullins

Photos would be good if anyone has some to post? Hi Teresa. Not seen you around Southey for a while have you moved?

yes I moved to Hillsborough about twelve years ago last time I was up Southey was about six months ago Southey Club having a drink with brother terry

The last time I spoke to Pearl she was still living at Grenoside she married had two children my daughter was a bridesmaid for her still the same witty Pearl

I left in 1964 - went to Granville College - I remember Mrs Cryer PE and Mr Plant. Also Mr Bunting (I was in his class in one of the prefabs) Mr Fairhearst who was scary. Some of the pupils I remember are - Keith Willougby, Robert Farrish, Freddie Porter, Geoffrey Wigfall, Jacqueline Smout, Lynda Houston, Linda Burrows, Linda Rodgers - I could go on but don't want to bore you.
hi diane finney was in the same class?

---------- Post added 15-11-2016 at 12:51 ----------

hi diane finney was in the same class ?

I remember all of those teachers...Mr fair Hurst...did he have a hole in his cupboard where he smashed his fist through in anger?....he terrified me...caned me once because I was scared and hid in the loos.....

I was in Mr Fairhurst's class and he once caned the whole class because no one came forward admitting to having thrown used milk straws in a basket. I'll explain: In those days (very early sixties) all pupils were provided with a free bottle of milk. Classrooms were provided with a bucket and a basket for the purpose of disposing of the bottle foil tops and straws.

The class rule as far as I can remember, was that after you had finished your milk you had to put the bottle tops in the basket and the used straws (usually still dripping with milk) into the bucket. Milk in baskets would leave a nasty smell.

At the end of one particular day, the basket had used straws in it with milk residue and Fairhurst asked for the culprit(s) to come forward. No one came forward and he kept us in the classroom for ages saying that we would have to remain there until the guilty person came forward.

No one did, so he caned us all.

Imagine schools exercising that sort of discipline today!

Does anyone recall this? Did it happen to anyone else?