The 1pm Siren in city centre

I'm surprised no one has sued them for damage to their hearing.

What is the point of the siren? Is it something from the olden days that is continued due to tradition?

It's so that the workers in town know it's time for a club biscuit.

could be one of many shop alarms its a designated time for testing alarms

Seriously? whilst i appreciate that a number of you are extracting the urine i am struggling to get my head around some of these comments.

i'll type this slowly for the hard of comprehension.

it's a time signal to let everyone know it's exactly 1 o' clock. you cannot trust the town hall clock because as someone pointed out it's mechanical & therefore prone to error.

this 1 0'clock signal has been sounded in sheffield for years. i can remember hearing it in the late 50's. it's a part of sheffield tradition & brought a smile to my face when i heard it a couple of weeks back for the first time in ages, well i smiled after i'd finished jumping!

Seriously? whilst i appreciate that a number of you are extracting the urine i am struggling to get my head around some of these comments.

i'll type this slowly for the hard of comprehension.

it's a time signal to let everyone know it's exactly 1 o' clock. you cannot trust the town hall clock because as someone pointed out it's mechanical & therefore prone to error.

this 1 0'clock signal has been sounded in sheffield for years. i can remember hearing it in the late 50's. it's a part of sheffield tradition & brought a smile to my face when i heard it a couple of weeks back for the first time in ages, well i smiled after i'd finished jumping!

Town Hall clock may be prone to error but how many people are reliant on it for telling the time when most people have a watch or mobile phone on them?

I just wish they could turn it down a bit, ruins the sound of bells pealing.

if you think the siren is intrusive i must warn you against spending the afternoon in edinburgh. my wife & i were actually in the castle & had just walked out of the museum at about two seconds to 1 o'clock when we were reminded that the scottish capitol has it's own distinctive way of letting you know that 1 o'clock has arrived.

I wonder how reliable this siren will be on March the 14th when the time signal from Anthorn is down for scheduled maintenance.

Is there an official 'time signal' keeper, ie someone whose job it is to maintain it, and make any adjustments which are sometimes necessary.

What exactly is the siren (physically not what does it do - I think that's well established now)

I'm suprised someone hasn't sued them for damage to their hearing. I dread to think what the decibal level is.

It's really not that loud. It's actually easily missed unless you're very close.

I wonder how reliable this siren will be on March the 14th when the time signal from Anthorn is down for scheduled maintenance.

It wouldn't matter, you are lucky to pick up the signal now from Anthorn as is, better to use the German one (GrrRR) (That is a grrrr as I would prefer to use the British one) the hooter signal seems to be regulated to 'Brownish' time which can be plus or minus 36 seconds of Greenwich Mean Time, depending on how fast the person tasked at HL Brown to sound the hooter can run to the button on hearing the Town Hall clock, or press it earlier because they need to get away for lunch!

And yes I have timed it!

:hihi: