The 1pm Siren in city centre

I hear this every time i am at work,

anyone know where it comes from?

Sounds like the one my Mum said used

to sound for the Mens lunchtime hour

It's above the jewellers (HL Brown??) that's at the junction of Leopold Street and Fargate, opposite Orchard Square.

It used to be on the other side of the road on the end of the buildings they demolished to build Orchard Square. I wonder who's it is and who is responsible for maintaining it?

I always thought it was in Fountain Precinct. I knew someone who used to work there and he said when the firedoor is opened (for people wanting a cheeky fag, or who can't be bothered to exit the long route from the offices via reception) it sets the alarm off. Not sure if it's same one?

No, it's not a fire door, it's a set-timed siren but I forget exactly why it started. Was it like a school bell for the citizens of Sheffield? I thought it was from the Wilson Peck building on the corner.

Edit - I found this from a noted website of good repute...

I was once told it is something to do with the council workers lunch time (?) 1pm - 2pm

Its the one o'clock time signal. This is used to allow people and businesses to set their clocks and watches. It has always been situated at this site as long as I can remember. Before HL Brown it was Wilson Pecks music store.

My friend worked at H L Browns and thats where it comes from.

When Alistair said it was on the other side of the road he was right . The building he is talking about used to be H L Browns before they moved into the current building, which used to be Wilson & Peck a music store.

My friend worked at H L Browns and thats where it comes from.

When Alastair said it was on the other side of the road he was right . The building he is talking about used to be H L Browns before they moved into the current building, which used to be Wilson & Peck a music store.

Thanks for that :thumbsup:

I had forgotten that H L Browns occupied the building over the road before it was demolished, but that explains the move of the siren perfectly.

The only thing I don't understand is why H L Brown need to remind us it's one o'clock every day. Maybe there's a subliminal message in the siren's wail just below the threshold of conciousness that makes people want to go and buy gold?

There's actually a sign next to the siren saying 'One O'clock time signal' or summat like that - perhaps to stop people ringing the Reg Holice and saying 'alarm at jewellers'.

Thanks for that :thumbsup:

Maybe there's a subliminal message in the siren's wail just below the threshold of conciousness that makes people want to go and buy gold?

Probably a message to go and buy a new watch!

Many of the sirens used during WWII were due to be taken out but then with the start of the cold war they were actually put back in to operation during the 60's and early 70's and were run by the police

Also for a long time quite a few of the part time fire stations (many closed down now) used them to call in the part-time firemen.

I haven't heard the siren you discuss here but is it a proper siren or some shop alarm related thing