Opened Mail in S8 Area

I'm in S8, and in the last few months I've had two boxes from Amazon that had obviously been opened. Both contained books, but I suspect if they'd had anything of a higher value in them, they would have been "lost in the post".

I was having loads of my post missing or tampered with in S2. I have recently reported it to Royal Mail who are 'investigating it'. Since that I have had non tampered with.

try complaining to the royal mail and recieve the obligatory book of first class stamps:hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

Many thanks for all the replies and similar stories, I have forwarded this thread onto the Royal Mail now who will likely fob me off with six first class stamps.

You should complain to the royal mail office where your postman is from then if that get you know where then you should complain to the police because then royal mail will have to look into it then because at the end of the day its theft.

Those of you having stuff go missing maybe ought to report this to the police if your complaints aren't being taken seriously by the Post Office Staff.

We live in S8 on the Highfields side, and we have had some post we were expecting go missing, one of them was a direct debit mandate for our new mortgage. I've also caught our postman putting cards through our door for record items that I've stayed at home to sign for without even knocking to see if we were there. I have previously complained about a different postman through the post offices website and I recieved a £10 good will jesture but nothing happened about the offending postie.

RECORDED DELIVERY COMPLAINTS

Here's a tip:

I use Recorded Delivery alot and monitor their receipt on the Royal Mail website.

Royal Mail Track & Trace

If the item isn't recorded as delivered within a reasonable time, I ring them up on the Track & Trace Helpline: (08459) 272100, and state my concerns. They do say they have to allow 15 working days for delivery before you can put in a claim, but even if the item's been received at it's destination and they still have it down as not yet having been delivered, you can claim back the cost of the Recorded Delivery (currently 70p).

I've done this a few times, and this also forces them to take investigative steps to ascertain WHY the postie isn't obtaining a signature.

Persist with it, because you've paid for a service you've not received.

Tampering with the Royal Mail is a breach of the Post office act - a criminal offence carrying the possibility of custodial sentencing -

One specific act for which the evidence directs to a specific event and a specific motive has been flagged for the attentions of Superintendent Adrian Teague of S Y Police professional standards.

As he may well be in the process of investigating the post office internal investigations team formerly lead by possible ex police officer Alan Hoole he may be of the mind that Post Office investigations are unfit for purpose and have a quite different agenda to what their title would suggest - i.e a protectorate for post office corruption / deception/deviance.

If the lack of response from Royal Mail is a legacy of Hooles stewardship of the internal investigations in the Yoprkshire Region then Superintendent Teague may wish to show an interest in this thread and or the victims may wish to contact Mr Teague via his Chief Constable.

In the alternative the victims should demand a response from POSIS (Post office security and investigations service) if only to give an opportunity to prove that they are fit for purpose.

When this happens it is usually one person somewhere along the line that is doing it. It seems worse on here because several people from the same area are complaining, yet it's odds on it's only one person doing it.

I have had people complain about missing birthday cards on my delivery and the ones around it, and reported it to my managers. It was investigated and the person was prosecuted.

I can assure you that mail tampering/theft is taken very seriously by Royal Mail, whether you think so or not. The person doing it is always caught, but obviously depending on the lntelligence of that person and how they are doing it it can take time.

I really hate hearing things like this, it gives all us Posties a bad name, however please bear in mind that there are around 100,000 postmen and women and the vast majority are honest, but the law of averages says out of that many employees some will be dishonest - just like there are dishonest shop staff, builders, window cleaners, salesmen etc.

Personally I think any employee caught stealing should be jailed automatically, that would be a proper deterrent, but seeing as they dont even jail muggers these days I doubt it will happen.

The worse thing about them stealing from birthday cards is that 99% of the time it is childrens money thats being taken. It is said again and again though DO NOT send money through the post unless it's special delivery.

Machines do open mail - usually they rip the corners where the flap can be slightly open, but if the larger part of the flap is open it can rip right across. It does more with cards because of the shape of the envelope flaps, and the fact they have a tendency to come open due to the thicker paper often used that the flap doesnt stick to properly. This mail should always be delivered in a bag with an apology and a number to ring. It's the same with parcels, lots are wrapped so inadequately they are falling to pieces by the time they get to us.

Whoever moaned about foreign mail going missing, once it's out of the country it has nothing to do with Royal Mail, it's that countries postal service, maybe the fact they all went missing shows we don't have it so bad after all?

And lastly,don't expect the service to get any better - Royal Mail are pushing for more and more cuts and savings and will keep cutting costs.

Our postie's a lovely bloke, always friendly and polite.

The problem we had was that bags waiting for posties to collect and deliver were being rifled through by unsavoury members of the public after they'd been left at the drop off point. I believe that's been resolved now, but I feel so sorry for posties.

People don't realise that the postie they see in the street actually started work in the early hours of the morning, sorting the mail before it's sent out for delivery. They then have to do their rounds, hitting some locations at specific times due to the buildings they're delivering to having timed access.

They're out in all weathers, lugging those damned heavy bags around (which MUST come under SOME kind of Health & Safety regulation), without complaining, being abused when they don't have someone's letter, being attacked by people's pet dogs.....you wouldn't catch ME coping with a job like that.......posties.....unsung heroes as far as I'm concerned.

I had a birthday card arrive two days late last week... obligatory strip of sellotape sealing the envelope back to again.

Thing is, my Uncle who posted it is a postie and wisely sent a cheque.

He told the story of a lady who worked in the sorting room who got caught opening post a few weeks/months before she was due to take her retirement. Quite rightly, her Royal Mail pension was revoked.