Kennings, Leadmill Rd

Did anyone work at Kennings in the mid 60's? I used to clock in but didn't work:hihi:

A friend of mine worked there as a salesman. Eric Treweek. Sadly he died after years of suffering with Alzheimer's, about 3 or 4 years ago.

Did anyone know Gary the sparky who worked there in late 70s.

I worked at Leadmill Road from 1967 to 1977.

Started as an apprentice mechanic and ended up in the warranty dept

On 09/11/2017 at 08:40, DerbyTup said:

A friend of mine worked there as a salesman. Eric Treweek. Sadly he died after years of suffering with Alzheimer's, about 3 or 4 years ago.

I remember Eric Trewick when I was there, he was a nice man, always a friendly word.

Edited by 1967-77

My ex brother in law worked as a salesman at Autoways during those years. His name was Peter Jones and he played trumpet in a band as well. So pleased he became an ex brother in law. 

On 29/04/2021 at 10:11, 1967-77 said:

I worked at Leadmill Road from 1967 to 1977.

Started as an apprentice mechanic and ended up in the warranty dept

I remember Eric Trewick when I was there, he was a nice man, always a friendly word.

Hello I'm Caroline and I started at Leadmill Road in 1973 in the typing pool. Loved it. Eric Treweek was a lovely man! Other salesmen that I remember were Rodney Smith, Ken Watson, David Mallender (I think). Mr Baum was the General Manager. What is your name, probably can remember you? 🙄 

On 07/11/2017 at 12:15, HandsworthB said:

Started there in 79 and served an apprenticeship, I think 'we' 4 in total were the last apprentices taken on at Leadmill rd.

Hello just seen your comment. I'm Caroline and I started in the typing pool in 1973 then became secretary to the service manager, so I must know you! I used to sort out the training courses for the apprenticeships and I think you're right about being the last apprentices that were taken on. We moved to Tenter Street in 1982. Did you work there? What is your name and what were the other apprentices' names that you remember. ☺ 

My first serious girlfriends father worked at Kenning around 1960/62 - Percy Whiteley lived on Ben Lane, Wisweood. probably aged around 60 at that time

Worked in the service dept. but would be doing paperwork in office and checking in the actual works side

Best Wishes to Sheffield Forum - Victor - Malaysia

On 22/10/2022 at 22:59, MarkPearce said:

Hi Caroline.

You were Mackie`s secratary if im not mistaken.

Hello Mark, 

I remember you so well, always liked a laugh.  I was Mackie's secretary and it brought a smile to my face when you said it because I'd forgotten we used to call him Mackie! 😊. I do remember you went to Tenter Street but don't know where you went from there! Hope you're well. Caroline 👍

On 07/11/2017 at 12:15, HandsworthB said:

Started there in 79 and served an apprenticeship, I think 'we' 4 in total were the last apprentices taken on at Leadmill rd.

Hello Brendan lovely to hear from you.

I must confess I don't remember you, Steve Daly or Kevin May. 

Some of the other apprentices at that time were Garry Green, Paul Whiteley, Simon Walker, Mark Pearce, Mark Williamson.

Do you remember the receptionists at Leadmill Road, Alan Staniforth, Vanessa Holmes?. There was Duncan Jones, Ian Blackburn, Stuart Mackay (Gordon Mackay's nephew), Bill Margerison, Steve Burnan who worked in the Service Dept.

I started at Kennings in 1973 in the typing pool and then went onto being the Service Manager's secretary who at that time was Stuart Attwood (he was a lovely guy). When he left, Gordon Mackay became Service Manager and so I worked for him until I left Kennings in 1989. We all moved to Tenter Street in 1982.

At Tenter Street I worked with Arnold Baker (who eventually had a garage on Carlisle Street and when he retired Nigel Barks took over (he's still there I believe). John Grindle left and set up on his own (somewhere in Wortley). Gordon Lindley was at Tenter Street and I worked alongside him for quite a bit of the time (he was another lovely guy). He went to work at Kennings in Chesterfield as Service Manager but he didn't like it. I can't remember what happened to him after that. I did see him a few years ago at a funeral (Renee Armitage), don't know if you remember her! I remember Robert Grantham. Derek Stagg was supposed to be emigrating but don't know if he ever did. Roger Rose did emigrate to somewhere in America (don't know where).

The names I remember who were involved with the valeting at Leadmill were Geoffrey Bell, a black lady (oops you can't say that now) who was always bubbly and smiling and everybody loved her was known as Lou. I remember Jack Reaney was the bodyshop manager and he came to work at Tenter Street.

The car hire you worked at on West Street is now The Cavendish.

All our yesterdays, can't believe how many years have passed! I've not seen anyone for many years.  I've retired now.

Caroline 

Hi Caroline,

I can't remember many people leaving while at Leadmill Rd, the move and split to Tenter St and West St, might have been a trigger for a lot more to quit.

I remember most of those names, Happy days, even if it didn't feel like it at the time!