Sheffield United Relegation / Appeal Megathread

Owls fans: Do you support United in their quest for reinstatement?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Owls fans: Do you support United in their quest for reinstatement?

• Yes
    • No

Until someone suggests a realistic replacement for Warnock who is available and would be likely to do a better job with the money available, I still think it would be foolish to sack Warnock now. Derby have had luck in finding a few good players on the cheap this year, but remember they are £40 million in debt and were facing relegation last season.

and a manager under that pressure was able to get players on frees (like peschisolido :rant: ) whilst having to sell players and cut the wage bill.

Looks at the managers in this league and lower and tell me we couldn't attract them before they moved to their clubs.:

Burley

Mcarthy

Royle

Adams

Mcgee

Megson

Peter Taylor

Sturrock

etc etc

Look at Leeds as well,they have a few decent players either on loan or free,Peshisolido should never have allowed to leave,even Warnock said that he would have him back tomorrow so that say's it all about his judgement,nearly all the top teams pushing for promotion have got decent free or loan players,what do we get journeymen,except Webber he is a genuine prospect.We are paying wages to players who cannot get in the team,that is money down the drain.Ward,T Johnston,the chinese player & a few others,without them surely Utd could afford the wages of at least 2 decent players,Centre Half & a midfielder who can pass the ball.Anyone who is employed no matter what job if that person is not doing the job they are paid to do, well they pick up there P45.If Warnock got a tactical coach in to help & some good players I would have no objection to him carrying on,after all he has done well,but since Blackwell left we seem poor in our tactics.UP THE BLADES

I love this about us Blades.

Whenever we win 2 or 3 games, we're the best team in the world and Warnock should get the england job.

If we draw, or, god forbid, lose, we're absolutely terrible and all the coaching staff should be sacked.

With the expection levels of some Blades fans, even if we got a new manager in next season, how long before we sack him if he doesn't get us in the top two? Personally, I think we should put in a bid for the Everton manager as he is sure to be sacked soon as they only made it to number 4 in the Premiership!

Actually, sack Warnock and bring in Mourinho if he doesn't win the champions league.

Originally posted by Patchy

With the expection levels of some Blades fans, even if we got a new manager in next season, how long before we sack him if he doesn't get us in the top two? Personally, I think we should put in a bid for the Everton manager as he is sure to be sacked soon as they only made it to number 4 in the Premiership!

Why shouldn't we have expectations of our team,every club dreams of being in the top league & I for one think Utd should be playing in the top league,look at Sunderland MCcarthy has spent little on his players & his team are now in the Premiere League.Like Man City & the Owls they were in the top league & I bet there fans care which league they would rather play in.Man City made it back.Ok they spent a lot of money but they are glad they are in the Premiership rather than the Championship or League 1.UP THE BLADES

SUNDERLAND HAVE SPENT MORE THAN UNITED, and they can afford to pay bigger salaries for players. Players on free transfers can command a higher signing-on fee and higher wages, which doesn't always make them a cheap option in the long run. Also, all the teams you mention have higher gate receipts than United, and can rely on that in case things start to go wrong.

The truth is if we gambled and it didn't pay off, you'd all be on here slating the board for being irresponsible with what little funds we have.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see United in the premiership, but I don't think throwing money around is the right way to go about it.

I too would love to see the Blades get promoted to the Premiership, but I'm not convinced the way to do it is to sack a manager who has steadied the boat and made us contenders for the last few seasons. Unless there is someone very good to replace him with then I still think it would start us down the road Forest and Wednesday have gone down... ie sack the manager every few months. People will be moaning even more when we are at the bottom of the Championship instead of near the top.

67.50% say sack Warnock,like I said all the players he has brought in & do not play could be offloaded & surely pay for at least 2 quality players we need,in midfield & defence.He has been a good manager for Utd but there comes a time when things go stale & it has,we have not played well since Brown left,we never replaced him & we needed too.Ok Sunderland like I said have bigger gates,but the players that McCarthy has brought in are not Premiership players ,he has said that the players that got them there will get there chance,but he will add to the squad to keep them there.I also see Hayles scored again for Millwall.Warnock has also said that Sharp is going nowhere ok but will the kid get a game,if he is good enough play him.The problem with Utd is confidence the team have none & neither do a lot off the supporters,there comes a time when we have to be confident & get the players to get us into the top league.If Warnock is going to be kept on I say give the guy some decent money to get the players we need to get there.UP THE BLADES

It's a valid point regarding the number of strikers the club has, and has had, who fail to score regularly. At the moment it seems like we're capable of turning good strikers into bad ones.

But that's being a little harsh. Fact is, as you rightly point out Tosh, that the service that good strikers rely on is not to be seen at Bramall Lane. And it probably hasn't been since Brown moved on (and he looks a good player for Spurs, incidentally. He also looks fitter than he did at the Lane).

Thus, I agree wholeheartedly that the core problem at the Lane isn't actually the players themselves but the coaching. Players we've let go out on loan (Sharp and Beckett) have delivered the goods for their clubs (albeit, in these cases, in lower divisions). Players we've sold, however, as usual rub our noses in it: Peschi at Derby - always reliable without being a 20+ a season man - and Hayles at Millwall. Although I wasn't, and still am not a fan of Akinbiyi, it's noticeable that even he's getting on the score sheet regularly.

Finally, that 'performance' against Derby, on TV, was all the proof I needed to believe that Warnock has simply ran out of ideas. When players can't even pass, then one feels the club isn't quite 'together' as others would have you believe.

I agree with most of what you say Tosh, but I think if we had had the same poll say 3 years ago, at least 67.5 % would probably have voted to sack him. Blades fans have been calling for Warnock's head almost since he came here everytime we lose or draw. Although I'm still not sure if most fans do want to sack him or if its a case of the ones who want to sack him making more noise than the ones who are happy to keep him until someone better comes along.

I would like to see him try the younger players like Forte and Sharp, but if he tries them and we lose one game because of it then fans will be saying he made a tactical error in playing them when they weren't ready. He can't win whatever he does.