Sweet factory on shrewsbury hill

Battys sweet factory was down Bridge st,love st I think.

I didn't know that place was the sweet factory people are always talking about :o. I took some pix of it when it was empty as part of my portfolio when I was doing a photography course, but I always knew it as the Chapel.

I too have always thought what a lovely little house it'd make. Shame it seems it's zoned for office use only.

I didn't know that place was the sweet factory people are always talking about :o. I took some pix of it when it was empty as part of my portfolio when I was doing a photography course, but I always knew it as the Chapel.

I too have always thought what a lovely little house it'd make. Shame it seems it's zoned for office use only.

I'd soooo love to live in that property... as I said earlier in the thread, I have such fond memories of buying boiled-sweet fishies from there on my way to my grandma's place, on Park Hill.

Re: The sweet factory at 19 Shrewsbury Road, Sheffield.

This was owned by Samuel H. Walker, my wife's grandfather. When S.H. Walker passed away, it was passed to his son and daughter, Harold Walker and Gladys Kay (nee Walker). The factory was worked by Harold Walker and Gladys' husband George Frederick Kay. Gladys sold the sweets on a stall, in the old Norfolk Market Hall. The factory was closed in the early 1980s, by compulsary purchase order, by Sheffield Council.

I do remember it being open until around 1979/80, which was when we moved house, and, about the same time, my Gran moved house, which meant we no longer took the route that passed the factory.

The other week I bought myself a "quarter" of the boiled sweet fishies, from the sweet stall in the Castle Market, and ate a couple of them. Ah, what memories it brought back! :D

It's up for sale if you want to buy it

I'd soooo love to live in that property... as I said earlier in the thread, I have such fond memories of buying boiled-sweet fishies from there on my way to my grandma's place, on Park Hill.

Oh I can just see you coming down the hill in your chair, run for your lives. :hihi:

Oh I can just see you coming down the hill in your chair, run for your lives. :hihi:

especially that steep, cobbled bit, right beside the property:-

http://picasaweb.google.com/neotericwalks/SWeetFactory#5074530132566338418

:hihi::help::hihi::P

and if I get the boards placed correctly, I could do an "Evel Kneivel" leap, over the wall, straight onto the train station)

especially that steep, cobbled bit, right beside the property:-

http://picasaweb.google.com/neotericwalks/SWeetFactory#5074530132566338418

:hihi::help::hihi::P

and if I get the boards placed correctly, I could do an "Evel Kneivel" leap, over the wall, straight onto the train station)

Jenson Button, eat your heart out, or more like Eddie the Eagle if you hit a bump. :D