Memories of the early seventies

I loved going to the Top Rank on Tuesdays with all my old mates.Shaun Shackleton & his brother Craig,Andy(Butch )Bullen & a load more & Taggys the world best ice cream.Heeley I miss those great days.

I remember the crombies, do you remember also sewing the coloured bias binding round the edges, and black was the most fashionable for boys and girls, even the Doc Martins, although I didnt have any one those.

I had a feathercut hairstyle and must admit to attacking my hair with the pinking shears to get a spiky cut.

I had a diamond skirt bought from "Etams" are they still there, they came in different colours.

Someone has mentioned the "hole in the road" is that not there anymore, I thought that was a landmark in the city centre, with the fishtank, shame if it has gone, we used to go to Walsh's and C&A, from underneath, also Dorothy Perkins,

I used to go with my Dad to shop at Fine Fine, he had a motorbike and sidecar, and shame of it, I used to hide on the floor of the sidecar if I saw anyone,

of course, taggy's was the world's best ice-cream! It was the only ice-cream that my late mother would accept!

it was firm, yellow and creamy, not pale, whipped and sloppy! Bradwells' or Thorntons is about the nearest in taste and texture these days...

someone mentioned the Sheaf Market...

me and my then best friend, used to go to the Granelli's balcony bar, upstairs, and spend an entire afternoon sipping one class of cola.

PT

Originally posted by nsiebert

I used to go with my Dad to shop at Fine Fine, he had a motorbike and sidecar, and shame of it, I used to hide on the floor of the sidecar if I saw anyone,

We also had a motor bike and side car and remember that distinctive smell when you got in it.

I personally loved it and we had ours for years.

Two seats, 1 front 1 rear.

I have seen one or two about these days as they became almost extinct did'nt they.

Oh the 70s,, Genevieve,, faces,, Crazy Dazie,, the working mans club still going strong, the salvation army carol singing on your street at Christmas complete with brass band, and running rings round the night watchman at the brick yard on Rutland Road poor old bloke.

Tank tops and yellow cardigan with a star on either side.

i worked at hulleys in 70s ice cream place at high greave nr ecclesfield.

people told me years ago there use to be queues miles long

waiting for icecream there.

Hello to Tara and Nsiebert [Nadine]. Fine Fare had a branch at Firth Park, which in the sixties to early seventies was next dor to Woolworths, if I recall. I had the distinction of being sacked from the Firth Park branch as a shelf-stacking 6th former. I moved out of the way accidentally on purpose when another lad threw down a crate of coffee jars from the van as we were unloading. Unfortunately, the managers were standing directly behind me as I did so. They promptly, "terminated" my "contract", as they so elegantly put it.

Anyone remember the old "Rag and Tag" Market? I'm 43 now, but I have vague memories of the place. Wasn't it where the Sheaf Market is now?

remember WESTERN JEAN COMPANY at the top of Fargate around 1980-83 big yellow store front, roughty where DIXONS is now I think.....and just across the road nr bradlets Records was the JEAN GENIE store, next to Radio Rentals showroom, selling exactly the same stuff as Western Jean Company. Bought some fine pairs of Levis from there........

Wasn't there a WIMPY BAR on FARGATE where Burger King was/is? There was also a Wimpy somewhere nr the Top of the Moor I seem to recall......

Are the markets still there.

I had a Saturday job while I was at school, in the indoor market, the one that they moved from the outside.

I sold mens clothing and used to get old men come over to me, being only young and in those days mens trousers used to come in different leg measurements, and they used to want me to measure them up for trousers, I was not amused.

I have fond memories of those days.

Originally posted by nsiebert

Are the markets still there.

I had a Saturday job while I was at school, in the indoor market, the one that they moved from the outside.

I sold mens clothing and used to get old men come over to me, being only young and in those days mens trousers used to come in different leg measurements, and they used to want me to measure them up for trousers, I was not amused.

I have fond memories of those days.

indoor market is now a car park

Goldenfleece- nice to see you on this thread. I recall our mutual loathing of the Underclass on "Sheffield Chavs" thread. Re the Wimpy Bar you mention, yes there was one at the top of the Moor. It was there in the mid-eighties I recall, as I used to pop in there with my then girlfriend at lunchtimes. It was just down from Pinstone Street [i think], at the top of the Moor.

Back to the seventies, more memories; Sutherland Road swimming baths [with the infamous Mr Scott, the attendant with the penchant for pushing kids in to the "deep end"], Bradleys Records, going to the Golden Dragon and Zing Va Chinese Restaurants and thinking they were exotic [ha ha], buses going down the Moor, the dj regularly playing "Rose Garden" at Bramall Lane, Shoreham Barmy Army, Hillsborough [ugh...] Park Show, Rivelin Valley in the summer sunshine, Millhouses "lido", the opening of The Crucible [my Nan insisted on calling it "The Cubicle"], Playing football on Concord Park, and sledging down the park Golf course in the snow, "egging" in Woolley Woods and the countryside up to Thorpe Hesley [hunting for birds' eggs- obviously not to be recommended], fighting with Shiregreeners on Wincobank Hill, Playing on Maycock's Field, Wincobank-do you remember this field Tara, Nadine and Cycleracer? Just below Hinde House up to around 73, when it was built over. You could gain entry from Fife Street.

I can remember the buses going up the Moor, they were the ones with the door at the back and the little platform, why do I remember them? I threw up on one that's why right in mum's shopping bag and she wouldn't let me go into Redgates that at that time was on the Moor.

Also the co-op at the bottom of Cemetary road which supplied us all with those dreadfull school uniforms, that was a shopping trip I hated.

Also in the early 60's every christmas there was a santa's grotto probably were the Manpower Services Building now stands at the bottom of the Moor, it used to have fountains lit up with coloured lights.

Also before Millhouses had it's lido rebuilt into two pools it used to be one big rectangular one with what seemed like HUGE diving platforms, I know I got pushed in the deep end which had me terrified of water for about the next twelve years.

Carter Knowle Junior school and taking every newspaper I could lay my hands on so they could sell the paper and get the money to build a swimming pool, strange as at that point I still didn't like getting my head wet, though I did learn to swim in that pool but then it was only about four feet deep.

Do we all have rose tinted spectacles or was life somehow better back then?

dempsey's clothes shop on the park hill flats (now housing office) if you were a pikey and your dad was on the dole you'd get vouchers for shoes and clothes for school.......i got my first star jumper from their:D