Memories of the early seventies

Hi

I remember going to the Top Rank on Tuesday nights for the disco, no booze, for under 18's, the No4 bus would have heaps on from Hinde House going into town.

Used to get fish and chips near pond street and get on the bus back home about 11pm, last bus was 11.15pm, so was always a bus to fall back on if we were late.

Used to go to school the next day,

Do you remember Harrington jackets, Ben Sherman Shirts and walking around like idiots with bowler hats and brolleys when the skinhead days were in.

Do you remember the Bay City Rollers and Rod Stewart with the tartan and sewing to the Levi's, I remember my Dad was not amused when I spent five pounds (that was a lot then) on a pair of Levi's and scrubbed then till they were pale and sewed on the tartan.

I crave for some sherbert lemons, Thornton toffee, Tizer, when friends go back to England they fetch all these goodies back, although havent had any sherbert lemons, do they still make them.

used to buy my levi 2 tones from sexy rexy,went to city hall 2 c t rex,still got concert ticket stub.wimpys not mcdonalds,whetstone pub bottom of the moor and of course redgates toy shop,used 2 b 2pence from pond street to hillsborough to watch the owls stand in rain no cover on cop under scoreboard,

Neils

Yes, I remember Sexy Rexy, redgates and Wimpy.

Used to have a hamburger and I loved the Horlicks in those white mugs that said Horlicks on the side, the Horlicks had thick froth.

rag n tag market,hole in the road,that map in pondstreet that lit up when you pressed the buttons,sheaf valley baths opened by rolf harris,top rank on a saturday mornings,chips n beans in woolworths cafe (12p) tramps,revoulution records.

Nsiebert [Nadine], I remember Sexy Rexy with the unisex changing rooms where people would try on their Levi Sta Press, Ben Sherman shirts etc. I also remember Colvins [always having a clear out sale of Brutus, Ben Sherman gear etc], and Tramps. Redgates was the big toy store, which I think closed down in the late 80s due to competition from Toyz r US. Also worthy of mention; Top Rank Saturday morning "Disco" sessions where it was possible to "get off with" girls. Every girl seemed to wear Monkey boots and sport the Feather cut around 1972 [when I was 11], and Harringtons and Crombies were fashionable for lads.There seemed to be more support for United than for Wednesday around 71-73 amongst my age group, with Woodward and Currie seen as Gods. Maybe this is just the case in the East Sheffield areas like Wincobank, Shiregreen and Firth Park. I do remember Concord Middle School being Blades enclave though, and the Head [Mr Roch] expressing surprise as the Shiregreen area is nearer to Hillsborough than the [beloved] Lane.

Originally posted by timo

Redgates was the big toy store, which I think closed down in the late 80s due to competition from Toyz r US.

I think it was Hamley's that mostly did for Redgates - mid-80s would be about right - then they chuffed off along with Habitat and left The Moor to rot. LOL, can you believe there was a Hamley's in Sheffield??:o

got the book - paid the prise.

it's bin a long road, getting from there too here, it's bin a long time.

yes remember it all.

those black crombie's with tie tacs,

monkey boots.

or if you thought you were really hard it was doc martins- the girls i mean.

remember the skinbird little skirts with big diamond patterns.

or was it some kind of tartan, they were mostly like a mauve and white.

going to vallances on chapel walk to buy records.downstairs listening to records in the little booths....pop ex singles from the newsagents...going to the lane on sats with me dad..crying when we sold TC to leeds...

I remember when it was Cann's the music mans.

How about Bradley's Records on Fargate? Didn't the staff used to wear nylon jacket/overall things, rather like dinner ladies or something??!!

A few of my memories

Hole in the road

The fish tank

Pippy's

Harringtons

Fine Fare(now theres a blast from the past)

The Lido

The all new Sheaf Market!!

Bradleys

Violet Mays

The Original Virgin Records

The building of the Manpower Services Building,

The New Town Hall (RIP)

The Wedding Cake (Registry Office)

Taggy's Ice Cream

and dont forget Original Skateboards - used to spend my life in the old Heeley Pictures - that was converted into a Skate park.