Am I in the right here?

:D we had this trouble,we bought my daughter a 10ft trampoline last xmas,put it up in spring when the good old english weather was a bit better:rolleyes: ,anyway when we went out we noticed it was either open/closed differentley to what we had left it,anyway other neighbours on our road told us that our next door neighbour had been using it whilst we was out!!!:o ,i started closing it and leaving certian clips open so id know if some1 had been on and low and behold when we came home it had been fasted up different to what i had left it!!!:mad: ,i confronted our neighbours to which they at first denied it but after a while admitted it had only been the once:nono: (we know different),anyway i told them in no uncertain terms what i would do if i found out they had been on it again.They went and got there own little trampoline:D :D

Havn't you got a gate you can lock with a padlock to keep them out of the back garden, the little girl can knock to be let in at the front door then?

We live in a little row of terraced houses where the gardens are separated from the houses by a 'service/access road'. We are on about having new fencing put up though 6ft high ones including the gate!

deffo padlock it, they shouldn't go into your garden, would they pay for any damage, if it got damaged i think not.

Thats just petty.

I think spyro has a wee bit of a point - on the one hand, yes you're perfectly within your rights to decide who uses your garden and it's amenities, but would it not be better to just speak to your neighbour and tell them that you don't appreciate your property being used without your permission? It strikes me as being a bit previous to start locking things up when a chat with folks might do the trick.

Some people don't understand property rights. Anyway, that young man is trespassing. Tell him to keep his big, muddy feet off your trampoline or next time you'll call the police. Hopefully, he won't do it again.

:) Sierra

Sierra, these are neighbours we're talking about here - do you not think it might be a bit inflammatory to be suggesting calling the cops because someone's been on a trampoline without permission? I think a more sensible route would be to politely ask the neighbours children and their parents not to do this, rather than involve the law?

Besides, I'm damn sure the police have got better things to do than investigate misuse of trampolines, don't you think?

Sierra, these are neighbours we're talking about here - do you not think it might be a bit inflammatory to be suggesting calling the cops because someone's been on a trampoline without permission? I think a more sensible route would be to politely ask the neighbours children and their parents not to do this, rather than involve the law?

Besides, I'm damn sure the police have got better things to do than investigate misuse of trampolines, don't you think?

Well said Halibut:thumbsup:

I think spyro has a wee bit of a point - on the one hand, yes you're perfectly within your rights to decide who uses your garden and it's amenities, but would it not be better to just speak to your neighbour and tell them that you don't appreciate your property being used without your permission? It strikes me as being a bit previous to start locking things up when a chat with folks might do the trick.

Well, a chat doesn't seem to have achieved much so far:

"the little girl next door came running down and said her 15 year old brother had gone on it. At that point obviously I got a bit angry and spoke to their mum and said I would appreciate it if her teenage lads would stay off it (I don't mind the little girl next door going on it as she's the same age as my daughter). Anyway her mum started being a bit funny with me saying her son hadn't been on it (basically calling her own daughter a liar). "

And why on earth should people need to explain to others that they "don't appreciate ... property being used without ... permission"?

Surely you wouldn't just assume that anything in your neighbour's garden was there for you to use (without permission) if you felt like it? So why should the OP's neighbour's son make this assumption?

Dozy

I'm not suggesting the neighbours son was in the right, far from it. I just feel that talking about phoning the cops and padlocking stuff up is hardly likely to help in terms of good relations with the people next door. Surely it makes sense to try a little dialogue and diplomacy before throwing a strop and getting the law involved?

You know the padlock you've got, well, get some heavy chain ( Heppenstalls do some lovely links) wrap it round his neck and padlock him to the trampoline for a week ;) sorry, I hope you're soon sorted

This may have been a one time thing. Which is why, if you had taken the time to read what I wrote, I said:

Some people don't understand property rights. Anyway, that young man is trespassing. Tell him to keep his big, muddy feet off your trampoline or next time you'll call the police. Hopefully, he won't do it again.

What part of next time do you not understand? Next time, means you're giving him a free pass this once, and asking him to keep off your stuff in the future. If he doesn't, then you'll call the police.

I'm all for getting along with the neighbors. But I'd say, if you're forced to padlock your belongings in your own garden, it's pretty safe to assume your neighbor's first priority isn't good relations.

:) Sierra

He won't if I have a word with his dad lol. His mum is one of the types that thinks her kids can do no wrong and that the sun shines out of their behinds. But his dad on the other hand....well he can be pretty scary! lol

So why did you speak to her about it if you knew this? Wouldn`t it have made more sense to have a word with the dad in the first place. Then the matter would be sorted, with no need for padlocks or police etc!