Penguin pub early 1980s?

Can anyone remember the penguin pub shiregreen in the early 80s. heard some great rock music there from and saw some really good live bands...many good nights out.

Not the easiest place for me to get to but I did go quite often. Could never understand why the owners suddenly stopped putting rock bands on as their profits must of dropped drastically. If you missed the bus back into the city centre though it was a hell of a long walk so I was grateful that I'd got friends living on Parson Cross so could be offered a floor to sleep on.

You guys obviously never saw Phillys on the piano. She hit the keys so hard the piano rocked!!

Harry the waiter's rendition of 'Rawhide' was not to be missed at the end of the night. Those were the days at the Penguin round about 1959/1960!!!

Used to go in quite often think it was Thursday nights they usually had rock bands on I remember a really good band called FireClown they were from Manchester I think they played quite often wonder what happened to them.

My ex boyfriends mates also had a band called Black Mariah they played there too they went down really well but split up soon after!

We were the promoters up at the Penguin back then. Me and a guy called Cliff. It seems such a long time ago now. The landlord then was a guy called Alan. The biggest act we had up there were John Ottoway and Wild Willy Barrett who had a top ten hit with a song called 'really free'. Is there still a stage in there does anyone know?

One of my best friends from school lived in the Penguin in the 80's, Michelle Parker.

We were the promoters up at the Penguin back then. Me and a guy called Cliff. It seems such a long time ago now. The landlord then was a guy called Alan. The biggest act we had up there were John Ottoway and Wild Willy Barrett who had a top ten hit with a song called 'really free'. Is there still a stage in there does anyone know?

i remember cliff he was also the dj played some great music. what is your name wonder if i can remember you

One of my best friends from school lived in the Penguin in the 80's, Michelle Parker.

yes michelle was just a young girl back then. believe she lives in norich now.

i remember cliff he was also the dj played some great music. what is your name wonder if i can remember you

Yes, he also had a mobile disco, 'the cliff s*** roadshow'. I'm not posting any surnames on here. I'm Andy. Back then I was a 6'5" beanpole with curly hair. I knew most of the regulars up there back then, but its so long ago I forget names. What I do remember is that there was never any trouble and the place had no bouncers. Cliff lived close to the Penguin and had a big dulux dog, soft as a brush it was, can't remember the dogs name either.

Yes, he also had a mobile disco, 'the cliff s*** roadshow'. I'm not posting any surnames on here. I'm Andy. Back then I was a 6'5" beanpole with curly hair. I knew most of the regulars up there back then, but its so long ago I forget names. What I do remember is that there was never any trouble and the place had no bouncers. Cliff lived close to the Penguin and had a big dulux dog, soft as a brush it was, can't remember the dogs name either.

yes i remember you, you both did a lot for local rock bands bet it was never appreciated though.

still i had some of the best times up there , thanks

We started off promoting the bands at the Penguin, then managed a couple of local bands and eventually set up a record label, and put out Geddes Axes first EP. Wasn't really in it for the money, I was 20 in 1980 and I just loved the music and being involved in it all. I have brilliant memories from this period. My mother bumped into Cliff some months ago in town, so I know he's still around somewhere. Any forum members in a band/play the Penguin back then?

my parents now run the penguin, last year they had a stage built to have different bands on they tried for quite a few months but couldnt get enough people in, the regulars down there dont like change im afraid.One of the bands to play there was def leppord i think that was in the 70s.