Roadrunner at the Cricket Club Aston

yo.technicAl, recognise some names on here, specially hobby, have just found this thread & am sad to read bout Nev Banks, he was in our year at school & also at dinnington tech, him being an electrician down't pit.if you were in the same year as the guys you mention,you must have left swall' school in 68-69 along with the brinny crew:- paul curley -phil bratley - pete jordan -les smethhurst-etc etc. i'v also seen Benji kray mentioned on here,do you know him,is he ok?. if you see him ask him he remembers the 1950s zephyr zodiac he had in 1976 & the night he lent it to me & my mate Al in Treeton [big trouble-lol]& yes we still owe him the money for the massive fines we got-lol.back to the roadrunner, i was back at swall' club for an NUM medical a couple 'o' years back & it brought back memories of my trips there with Curley & the gang back in the 60s,happy days.

Yep, went to school with that lot. Curley is dead, cancer Im told. Still regularly see Andy Fitzmaurice and Pete Rhodes.

Benjy is always in the Black Bull at Aughton, well, when hes not "elsewhere".

Vaguely remember that old Ford. I think I know the Al you are talking about. Struggling with his second name though. Was he about 5foot 8" and blond. Was it Waddington ?

RiffRaff.........yes Trev is Capn Beefheart mad

Yep, went to school with that lot. Curley is dead, cancer Im told. Still regularly see Andy Fitzmaurice and Pete Rhodes.

Vaguely remember that old Ford. I think I know the Al you are talking about. Struggling with his second name though. Was he about 5foot 8" and blond. Was it Waddington ?

That's OK then...

I've heard that Captain Beefheart is Mad Trev mad, too....

I was there. Well not when it happened but we were in Skeggy when he got done. Grassy Meadows was also there.

My lot are a couple of years younger. Ally Mayfield, Mad Trev Williamson, Wink Watson, Dick Fearn, Eric Gough, David Thompson, Frank Brocklehurst, Kevin Hobby Hobson.

Just joined to say that I'm "one of your gang" now all the lads you've mentioned, still see some of them in the black bull and robin.

dick is still knocking about and still as daft as ever massive owls fan he lives up handsworth you will see him in most of the pubs up there

thanks for info on site. don't be late tomorrow

thanks for info on site. don't be late tomorrow

not a problem c u later

no it was hillyard & hes ginger, hows rhodesy & fitztzy gettin on,rhodesy 's' a brinney lad, fitzys a canklow w**k*r-lol. heard about paul [curley] GUTTED! saw him about 6months before he died when we visited sheff [i'm an expat] thought he was in remission,got a midnight phone call from les smethurst telling me he was in a bad way, then a call next day saying he was dead.totally gutted! me & curls grew up together,we were always into scooters from being about 9 years old,he was 6 months older than me & we'd driven all sorts of cars/bikes any thing that moved from that age on the 8 foot lane in brinney.when we came up to the legal age to actually drive on the road paul waited 6 months for my birthday so we could do it together.he was my first best friend & mentor & a great guy.looking at the names on this thread takes me back i remember just about all of them, draycot was from brinny origianally [i think bawtry rd] porrit -star geezer - once caught me as he he was running upstairs & said -quick hide this! [tocacco & stuff] which i promptly slipped down the lining of my barathea only to be jumped on 3mins later & frisked by the teacher that was chasing him[mr bletchley]did'nt find owt just said i smelt like a tobacco factory -lol -top memories, any 'o' you guys out there P.M. me lets start a swall' thread.

Rhodesy is just a pith head. Hes in the 3 horseshoes Wickersley every night. If I go in I greeted like a long long brother and he only saw me the day before. He still lives with his Mum and Dad. Andy I havent seen him for about a year, hes got 3 boys oldest is about 30. Last time I saw him he was fine, never changes, as cool as a cucumber.

Hillyard, any realtion to Ron and Sheila (was it?)

If you know Les and Curly that well Id be surprised if you dont know me. You go to Aston woodhouse?

:) yo,technicAl, yep al is ronnie & sheilas brother, i did go to aston w.h. me & al left in 1970 & went down treeton pit. never figured rhodesy for a p**s head,all our lot that went in the magpies in brinny in the 70s deffo p**s heads -lol, not him though.do you know any of the catcliffe crew -dave radford-pete allen-reg cutts- scotties - etc-etc. apologies in advance for hijackin this thread & turnin it into friends reunited-lol.

Just joined to say that I'm "one of your gang" now all the lads you've mentioned, still see some of them in the black bull and robin.

Well I never

It didnt register who you are. Now I know

Can Bloggs still not pass a mirror without patting his hair?

Blond and quite long when I last saw him, but I'm going back 35 years and more!

John Draycott's parents used to run a little corner (grocery?) shop on a side road virtually opposite your school (from memory...)

Steve Aspinall left home and got himself a small ground floor flat in Broomhill for a while - a long, long time ago now - but then left the area completely as far as I can recall.

Still remember his girlfriend of the time - Sally Ro(d)gers, who lived in Treeton... a beautiful lass.

Wonder how life went on to treat her....?

Bloggs is now as bald as a coot!

Saw him last at my mums funeral - Still with Anita after all these years!

John is still teaching (Deputy Head) at Aston Comprehensive!!

I remember the Roadrunner. Went there loads during the 60s.The only one I remember was a bloke called Richard Porritt cos my friend had a crush on him

Didn't Malcolm Beaumont work with Ray as well?

Malcolm Beaumont I remember him. He lived on Wesley Ave just up from Ray Banks.

He had a nickname but I cant remember it. I think most people knew him by his nickname.