Getting married abroad - tips please?

Im thinking of just eloping to get married in the summer but could anybody recommend somewhere nice?
Can't offer any recommendations as, like Agent Orange, I've never married abroad ;)

But many congratulations on your engagement and for your future happiness. x

Thanks ruby,

I dont know if i fancy a resort, i dont mind spending a month somewhere and finding a little village. Really unsure of all the legalaties though??

Have a look over in the wedding group. There's a whole thread dedicated to getting married abroad there.

I dont know if i fancy a resort, i dont mind spending a month somewhere and finding a little village. Really unsure of all the legalaties though??

Getting married abroad, you have to spend X amount of time in the country first. For Antigua it was 5 days, but in those 5 days you go to the main "council" office to get the paperwork done which then allows you to be married in that country. Some will vary on process and days to wait but you will more than likely have to spend at least 3 days in the country prior to the wedding day and apply for a marriage license.

Marriages in certain countries, I believe, are not recognised in the UK however most are. This is something you will need to check. To have it recognised in the UK you will take the marriage certificate you obtain at the time to the local city/town council and they process it from there.

If you do it through resort, you get your holiday there and wedding package on top. They take care of music (you would still pick your own songs - Antigua the band played songs we picked), venue, photographs, drinks, buffet, cake, minister, evening meal etc and you have a direct contact for everything you need.

Doing it in a little village will mean you arranging all these things in which case, I would say you need to chose the country you prefer and go there first to look around and find what you like ie venue. Then...find out what you need to do and cost of it.

Basically, we got 2 weeks holiday at Jolly Beach Resort in Antigua with the wedding day planned for 5 days after we arrived. Everything was arrange while we were still in the UK. When we got there, we met the wedding coordinator who talked us through everything, showed us the 2 locations they use for weddings and what will happen. Then arrange for us to be taken to St Johns by taxi to obtain our marriage license. Back in resort, we were given a long song list. We had to pick 5 songs for the DVD we got, song for dance etc. We didnt have to worry about a thing really, it was taken care of so we could enjoy the break with the kids up until the big day.

Bit of a ramble but I think you need to decide where and how you'd like your wedding.

thanks for all the advice. think for finance reasons we are going to do it in this country and just have a small ceremony but a big evening do when we come back from the honeymoon..

I got married in Pathos in Cyprus. Was fantastic. We wree strapped for cash at the time, so opted to get married abroad. Looked at St Lucia/Antigua, but we then wouldn't have had any friends/relatives with us.

Opting for Cyprus we ended up with 30 odd guests. Back to the hotel for champagne/photo's, and then a pool party in the afternoon at a local villa some of the relatives had rented. Did all the food ourselves and had everyone in the pool from grannies to nippers.

In the evening, all got changed again into our wedding gear and had a traditional Mezi reception in a taverna.

Brilliant day.

If you are looking for something really quiet, there is a lovely church in Afandou in Rhodes.

Best of luck

Jim

thanks for all the advice. think for finance reasons we are going to do it in this country and just have a small ceremony but a big evening do when we come back from the honeymoon..

Where did you get engaged?If it was somewhere nice-ish, could you have the wedding there?

have you thought of Gretna Green. there is a hotel called the Mill Forge, with accomodation, gorgeous gardens and a chapel in the grounds. we got married there 7 years ago. weather was gorgeous and you can have reception at the hotel, cost under £1000. beautiful hotel. weddings really popular there too. they have rooms for the bride and groom and other rooms across the grounds for the wedding party you choose to take.

im planning on a small ish ceremony next year and a big reception afterwards but were not having a honeymoon only a couple of nights in a fancy hotel somewhere :D

congrats hun i wish you all the best xxx

Hi all

This is just a general query but can anyone help me find out the best way to go about booking a wedding abroad? It would not be until 2012 at the earliest but I have no clue where to start... it would be for us and our families. I wanted a nice beach do... please, where do I start?! x

I wanted a nice beach do... please, where do I start?! x

Blackpool, Skegness ;)