Free Genealogy advice

Hi Genhouhgt

Not sure I like this new nickname

Sorry HENNYPENNY :hihi: I read it wrong! I think I must be dyslexic or something because I do sometimes get my worms wrong!!! :huh:

Thanks for the info.

I do have William Henry Wall Jr's birth cert. Born 10 Jan 1894 at 4ct Ellis Street. Wm Hy Wall Sr. and Rose claim to be married on the cert although as I suspected before that someone might be 'fibbing', I did look for years either side of the birth of their children but still to no avail. Hmmm!!

Auntie Sheila was HORRIFIED at the suggestion that they didnt bother as her grandparents were 'respectable people' but......

I will look into the theory that he may have had a previous marriage and have another go at it.

How many hours do you think you might take to find this out because I might 'pass the buck' if it isnt going to damage my little wallet too much.:|

I also cant find much on Rose's parents, Zackariah Antcliffe of Sheffield and Elizabeth nee Williams of Coalbrook dale, except the census's and her father's death in Sheffield union workhouse where he ended up after leaving his family.

I cant seem to get that far on this particular line for some reason although I have forged ahead on the others!

Oh well

Thanks

Gen

Well thank you Kind soul!!

Yes I agree, family history is fascinating. I am hooked, and learning far more about history than I ever did at school. It actually becomes REAL when you think in terms of your own heritage. I am not as far back on any of my 'lines' as you are tho....yet!!

Gen

I submitted that info! Willam Henry wall was my husbands gt grandfather, married to Rose Antcliffe. He is on the census's but I have not been able to find either his birth certifiate/registry or their marriage.

His mother Sarah nee Hughes was born around 1837 in Ireland and I was led to believe that Thomas Wall his father was catholic, although either he or his son William Henry abandoned catholicism at some point.

Does anyone know where/how to look up catholic marriage registers, or which Catholic churches were in the Hollis croft area around 1850's - 1900 where they may have married? :help:

Could this be Thomas Wall's burial? Found at

http://sheff-indexers.thewholeshebang.org/BurialIndex.html

WALL, THOMAS (buried St Patrick's section, age 52yr).

Died at JERICHO STREET; Buried on January 15, 1888 in Roman Catholic ground;

Grave Number 20, Section G of St Michaels RC Cemetery, Rivelin.

and Sarah Wall:-

WALL, SARAH (buried St Patrick's section, age 55yr).

Died at JERICHO STREET; Buried on April 3, 1892 in Roman Catholic ground;

Grave Number 14, Section R of St Michaels RC Cemetery, Rivelin.

And this looks like William Henry Wall:-

WALL, WILLIAM H (buried St Vincent's section, age 49yr).

Died at UNION; Buried on October 30, 1909 in Roman Catholic ground;

Grave Number 280, Section A of St Michaels RC Cemetery, Rivelin.

Could this be Thomas Wall's burial? Found at

http://sheff-indexers.thewholeshebang.org/BurialIndex.html

WALL, THOMAS (buried St Patrick's section, age 52yr).

Died at JERICHO STREET; Buried on January 15, 1888 in Roman Catholic ground;

Grave Number 20, Section G of St Michaels RC Cemetery, Rivelin.

and Sarah Wall:-

WALL, SARAH (buried St Patrick's section, age 55yr).

Died at JERICHO STREET; Buried on April 3, 1892 in Roman Catholic ground;

Grave Number 14, Section R of St Michaels RC Cemetery, Rivelin.

And this looks like William Henry Wall:-

WALL, WILLIAM H (buried St Vincent's section, age 49yr).

Died at UNION; Buried on October 30, 1909 in Roman Catholic ground;

Grave Number 280, Section A of St Michaels RC Cemetery, Rivelin.

It is William H for sure. He died 23 oct 1909 age 49 and all the details fit.

Sarah and Thomas DID live in Jericho Street too and I know thos died 1888, so YES!!

Gosh you are good!!!! :D

Many thanks Thats amazing.

Gen

I also cant find much on Rose's parents, Zackariah Antcliffe of Sheffield ...Gen

The Mormon website (http://www.familysearch.org) has a Zacariah Antcliffe born c. 1833 in Sheffield, died 1898. His parents were John and Mary Antcliffe.

The Mormon website (http://www.familysearch.org) has a Zacariah Antcliffe born c. 1833 in Sheffield, died 1898. His parents were John and Mary Antcliffe.

Yup! I submitted it from the little I have found up to now! :D

I just looked on that link you sent Henny and have also found the burial of Thos and Sarah Wall's son Martin. Great stuff.

Again many thanks!!

Hi Genhouhgt

Thanks for the info.

I do have William Henry Wall Jr's birth cert. Born 10 Jan 1894 at 4ct Ellis Street. Wm Hy Wall Sr. and Rose claim to be married on the cert although as I suspected before that someone might be 'fibbing', I did look for years either side of the birth of their children but still to no avail. Hmmm!!

Auntie Sheila was HORRIFIED at the suggestion that they didnt bother as her grandparents were 'respectable people' but......

I will look into the theory that he may have had a previous marriage and have another go at it.

How many hours do you think you might take to find this out because I might 'pass the buck' if it isnt going to damage my little wallet too much.:|

I also cant find much on Rose's parents, Zackariah Antcliffe of Sheffield and Elizabeth nee Williams of Coalbrook dale, except the census's and her father's death in Sheffield union workhouse where he ended up after leaving his family.

I cant seem to get that far on this particular line for some reason although I have forged ahead on the others!

Oh well

Thanks

Gen

It shouldn't take too long to find the marriage *if* it is at St Vincent's or St Marie's ;)

Do you have a definite link to Zackariah and Elizabeth Antcliffe? I noticed another Rose Antcliffe on the 1891 census who could have been a possible wife for William Henry Wall.

There is also the possibility that in 1891 she had another name and then married an Antcliffe before marrying William Henry, or conversely, she could have been called Antcliffe as her maiden name, but had another marriage first so that when she married William Henry it was under another name, which could explain the lack of success in searching for the marriage. Many possibilities.

Most workhouses had an infirmary attached, so Zackariah hadn't necessarily left his family, he may have been a patient there.

It shouldn't take too long to find the marriage *if* it is at St Vincent's or St Marie's ;)

Do you have a definite link to Zackariah and Elizabeth Antcliffe? I noticed another Rose Antcliffe on the 1891 census who could have been a possible wife for William Henry Wall.

There is also the possibility that in 1891 she had another name and then married an Antcliffe before marrying William Henry, or conversely, she could have been called Antcliffe as her maiden name, but had another marriage first so that when she married William Henry it was under another name, which could explain the lack of success in searching for the marriage. Many possibilities.

Most workhouses had an infirmary attached, so Zackariah hadn't necessarily left his family, he may have been a patient there.

Thanks again.

To be honest I need the marriage cert to DEFINITELY distinguish between the two Rose's but I have strong suspicions that this IS the one as the dates match more closely (Though not always a true indicator) and they lived very close (Think without looking that it was the same street or just around the corner- but again a hopeful guess). That is why I am desperate for the marriage cert before I go much further back just in case I am barking up the wrong family tree - so to speak. Trust there to be 2 of them!

I will try looking at St Maries & Vincents records first, which I assume will be at sheffield archives?

Hope its not all in latin tho as some catholic records are. :|

Cheers

Gen

Hi genhought

Only the christian names are in latin...so you'll be ok...:hihi::hihi:

Tuppie

Hi genhought

Only the christian names are in latin...so you'll be ok...:hihi::hihi:

Tuppie

There's always gotta be one! Doh.:loopy:

D'you fancy comming along to translate them for me then???

Just had a quick look on freebmd... the best I can come up with is a William Hall and Rose Hall on the same index number (9c 884) married quarter June 1894 - in Rotherham!!! May be worth a look...???!!