Free Genealogy advice

Tomorrow, Cannon Hall museum, Cawthorne, near Barnsley, have a genealogist from Researching Relatives on site all day (11am -4pm) who is able to give advice on your family tree. If you have any brick walls with your family tree research, then now is your chance to get help free of charge :)

Tomorrow, Cannon Hall museum, Cawthorne, near Barnsley, have a genealogist from Researching Relatives on site all day (11am -4pm) who is able to give advice on your family tree. If you have any brick walls with your family tree research, then now is your chance to get help free of charge :)

Hello Hennypenny

I missed this event. :( or rather I didnt know about it, but I read on another post that you are a professional genealogist. Could you throw any light on where I should look for a marriage? I have tried the BMD registers without success and even cheekily tried to get sheffield registry office to find it by giving a 5yr estimate of when it was likely to have taken place but they were unsuccessful too.

The missing relative is

Willam Henry Wall born c1860 in Sheffield. Have found him on the 1861, 1891 & 1901 census's and have his death cert 23 oct 1909.

He married Rose Antcliffe (born 30 sept 1873) and their 1st child William Henry was born jan 1894.

He lived in the Hollis croft area and so did Rose so their marriage would likely have been local to that area, and around 1893-give or take.

I am stumped as to where to look next. Can you advise?

Many thanks for your help

On the Family search it only shows that William Henry Wall was born circa 1860, to Thomas Wall and Sarah (Hughes).

Is the geneaology meeting at Cannon Hall Friday or Saturday?

Thanking you.

Hi Pop

I'm afraid it has gone now, it was back in May.

I am always happy to look at any brick walls here though :)

On the Family search it only shows that William Henry Wall was born circa 1860, to Thomas Wall and Sarah (Hughes).

I submitted that info! Willam Henry wall was my husbands gt grandfather, married to Rose Antcliffe. He is on the census's but I have not been able to find either his birth certifiate/registry or their marriage.

His mother Sarah nee Hughes was born around 1837 in Ireland and I was led to believe that Thomas Wall his father was catholic, although either he or his son William Henry abandoned catholicism at some point.

Does anyone know where/how to look up catholic marriage registers, or which Catholic churches were in the Hollis croft area around 1850's - 1900 where they may have married? :help:

Hi Pop

I am always happy to look at any brick walls here though :)

Could you look at the info on William Henry Wall that I have put in the two previous posts as I am stumped? Pretty please....:confused:

If you could point me in the right direction I will love you forever!! :D

How much do you charge to search for ppl?

Hello Halfpenny

Hi Genhouhgt

Not sure I like this new nickname :suspect::hihi:

I missed this event. :( or rather I didnt know about it, but I read on another post that you are a professional genealogist. Could you throw any light on where I should look for a marriage? I have tried the BMD registers without success and even cheekily tried to get sheffield registry office to find it by giving a 5yr estimate of when it was likely to have taken place but they were unsuccessful too.

The missing relative is

Willam Henry Wall born c1860 in Sheffield. Have found him on the 1861, 1901 census's and have his death cert 23 oct 1909.

He married Rose Antcliffe (born 30 sept 1873) and their 1st child William Henry was born jan 1894.

He lived in the Hollis croft area and so did Rose so their marriage would likely have been local to that area, and around 1893-give or take.

I am stumped as to where to look next. Can you advise?

Many thanks for your help

I have had a good look and also can't find them in BMD. Do you have William Henry Wall b. 1894's birth certificate? Does it definitely give Rose Antcliffe as the mother? The age gap between the parents makes me wonder if it is a second marriage for William Henry Wall snr. It is quite common for men to "lose" a few years on their second marriage, so I would be looking for a possible earlier date of birth for William Henry Wall snr too.

There are lots of occasions in the past where people live together as man and wife without the benefit of marriage, but this was less common at this late period as "Victorian Values" were becoming more prevalent. Often an apprentice would not be able to marry until his apprenticeship was ended, so you have scenarios of a man marrying at the end of his apprenticeship, when he already has a thriving family. I doubt if that is the case here though, as William Henry snr is well past apprentice age. It is possible that they haven't married because he already has a wife and family elsewhere.

Catholic marriages were legal from 1837 so it is possible they married in a catholic church, but it would still have been recorded in the GRO. The main catholic church in Sheffield was St Marie's on Norfolk Row, there is an index of grooms and brides on the shelves at Sheffield Archives. There was St Vincent's church on Whitecroft which is near to Hollis Croft which opened in the 1850's. The records are at Sheffield Archives on film, and there is an index of marriages at St Vincent's from around 1857 onwards.

There is a fascinating book at Sheffield Archives (whose title I have forgotten :|) about St Vincents, which describes how when the Irish Catholics arrived in Sheffield in the 1840's after the potato famine and all started going to St Marie's, the Sheffield Catholics were upset and made them most unwelcome. They would not let them sit in the church and made them stand in a roped off area. The Crofts area (Hollis Croft, Whitecroft, etc) was known as Little Ireland. A mission was sent from Rome after pleas from St Marie's church who claimed they could not cope with the influx, which set up a school and eventually set up a new church, St Vincent's, in Whitecroft. The book also contains excerpts from diaries of the priests who came to the area at the time, detailing the dreadful living conditions.

However, the first step to unravelling the mystery is getting the birth certificate for William Henry Wall jnr if you don't already have it.

Hennypenny

Could you look at the info on William Henry Wall that I have put in the two previous posts as I am stumped? Pretty please....:confused:

If you could point me in the right direction I will love you forever!! :D

How much do you charge to search for ppl?

I was busy looking as you wrote :)

We charge £10 per hour - much cheaper than a plumber ;)

I also drew a blank with the marriage, checking indexes from 1891 to 1901 for William Henry Wall and Rose Antcliffe/Antcliff/Antliff. William Henry junior's birth entry is there (Jan-Mar 1894, Vol. 9c Page 500) as is his father's (Jan-Mar 1860, Vol. 9c Page 401). I agree it would be worth obtaining the 1894 birth certificate (cost £7 Via http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificate/index.asp#0) to see if the parents were definitely married.

By the way, in regard to "losing" a few years for the second marriage, I recently got married (for the first time) at 59. I reckon I could do with "losing" a few years....

I also drew a blank with the marriage, checking indexes from 1891 to 1901 for William Henry Wall and Rose Antcliffe/Antcliff/Antliff. William Henry junior's birth entry is there (Jan-Mar 1894, Vol. 9c Page 500) as is his father's (Jan-Mar 1860, Vol. 9c Page 401). I agree it would be worth obtaining the 1894 birth certificate (cost £7 Via http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificate/index.asp#0) to see if the parents were definitely married.

By the way, in regard to "losing" a few years for the second marriage, I recently got married (for the first time) at 59. I reckon I could do with "losing" a few years....

Congratulations hilsbro, but you're as young as any of us. We are all 21 and a bit!!! :D

Thank you for the info. I do have Wm Hy Wall Jr's birth certif. He was born 10 jan 1894. They lived at Ellis street and (Claimed at least!) thay were married

at the time. Hmmm!!

I am grateful for the info on the location of Wm Hy Sr's birth certificate though. Cheers! :D ...but I remain befuddled over their marriage. Still, maybe I have a few more ideas on where to look.

Oh by the way, had you looked this up for yourself (your family link) or just to help me out???

Thanks

Gen

Well, I suppose I'm a kindly old soul and just thought I'd try to help you out. I've traced most of my own roots back a couple of hundred years (and found a few skeletons in the cupboard...) and I quite enjoy the "thrill of the hunt" - especially when it brings results. I recently discovered that my Sheffield-born great-grandmother (who was illegitimate until her parents wed) was descended from Huguenots who came to North Lincolnshire in the 1620s to drain the fens. Her maiden name was Egarr (that is, after her dad William Egarr married her mother Sarah North). William was born at Keadby, and so after arriving from Flanders my Egarr forebears had lived and died a stone's throw from where I now live. Fascinating...