Doing up property before completion

Is it common for house buyers to request access to an empty for building work before completion (but after exchange of contracts)?

no, don't do it, and don't let anyone do it to you if you're selling your house.

that's like asking whether it's normal to go around to a complete stranger's house and start changing their decor to your tastes. until the house is yours/you've sold the house to them, you shouldn't ask and shouldn't let anyone do work to a house that isn't theirs.

we were distinctly put out that the house we bought had work done to it after we'd had an offer accepted on it. wouldn't mind so muhc, but bodgit and scarper were involved.

I agree with babychickens. I wouldnt do anything until after completion, you never know what is going to happen. If it all falls through you will have lost out on whatever you have spent / done on the property. Plus if you let someone do something to yours and the sale falls through you are stuck with whatever changes they have made.

I did on both my previous houses. After exchange i got the keys and started work. I had no problems with it.

Do not do it. It is not your property untill the sale has compleated. Any thing can still happen. if you have any doubts just ask your solicitor i am sure they will tell you horror stories on both sides of this.

i started work 4 weeks before completion of sale each case is diffrent

If the property is empty and in a state (like ours was) then I think it makes sense to do it before you have to move in, but there is risk involved incase sale don't go through etc.

You may find that the house insurance is invalid if you do this!

If the sale falls through after exchange then you retain a deposit usually 10% as the solicitor should request at least 10% deposit from the buyer before he exchanges.

Exchanging is pretty final and the only was out is as I have said before to forefit your deposit. So your buyers must be serious if they have exchanged. Would 10% cover any botched work if you let them in and it goes wrong?

Normally people exchange and complete on the same day. A completion date should have been set before you exchanged.

If the sale falls through after exchange then you retain a deposit usually 10% as the solicitor should request at least 10% deposit from the buyer before he exchanges.

Exchanging is pretty final and the only was out is as I have said before to forefit your deposit. So your buyers must be serious if they have exchanged. Would 10% cover any botched work if you let them in and it goes wrong?

Normally people exchange and complete on the same day. A completion date should have been set before you exchanged.

Exchange of contracts is usually done 1-2 weeks before completion. You set your completion/move in date at exchange of contracts.

Is it common for house buyers to request access to an empty for building work before completion (but after exchange of contracts)?

I am a developer and do this a lot but ONLY when contracts have been exchanged.

I am a developer and do this a lot but ONLY when contracts have been exchanged.

but would you do work after exchange and before completion?