Insurance for sorn car in garage?

I have declared my mini offroad and have it locked up in a friends garage, have just spoken to my insurance company and they have said the best thing to do would be cancel it. Is this true or is there a company out there who insures garaged vehicles for fire & theft?

any info would be gratefully received.

I would certainly still insure it. You shouldn't need to cancel your insurance you could just reduce the cover to fire and theft only whilst off the road. This way the calculations are done pro-rata - if you cancel your insurance the return premium won't necessarily be calculated this way unless you have had the policy for 1+ year.

I think the insurance company have given you bad advice!

:)

What Sheish said.

If you want to keep it insured, do so. You can probably get a limited cover policy (i.e. to cover storage rather than actually driving it about, if that's what you intend to do - or a limited mileage policy if you'll have it back on the road during the term of the policy) and save yourself some money.

I have declared my mini offroad and have it locked up in a friends garage, have just spoken to my insurance company and they have said the best thing to do would be cancel it. Is this true or is there a company out there who insures garaged vehicles for fire & theft?

any info would be gratefully received.

You can ask your insurance company to give you a laid up cover. They removed the comp and third party cover from the policy, continue to insure it for fire and theft in the locked up garage and SHOULD give you a refund for the percentage of time it was laid up less F+theft

Thats what norwich union direct do anyway!

Try Adrian Flux for laid up insurance they are dirt cheap.

Try Adrian Flux for laid up insurance they are dirt cheap.

Good Advice.:)

If you want more quotes loads of insurers advertise in Classic Car Weekly or Practical Classics.

Keep it insured !

Also Footman James. Our XR4i cost £135 for fully comp insurance.

Or Chris Knott with reference number 694 ;)

You can ask your insurance company to give you a laid up cover. They removed the comp and third party cover from the policy, continue to insure it for fire and theft in the locked up garage and SHOULD give you a refund for the percentage of time it was laid up less F+theft

Thats what norwich union direct do anyway!

u should be on commision lol, x

Definitely have it insured - we have an X reg Fiat X19 in storage and we insure it under a classical car policy, I believe its just for fire and theft cover.

Better to be safe than sorry.

It appears to be a case of matching up the insurance and tax database to make sure that car's that aren't insured basically aren't being used on the road.

So no changes, as long as the car is declared SORN'd you don't need insurance. Basically they're enforcing a penalties for those who don't have insurance on their vehicles and haven't declared their car's off the road.

Yep - get it insured under 'Laid up' cover and check the small print - what would happen if the garage shed a tile or joist on your car in storm weather.