Working mens clubs

:rant: whats a wmc they ask,probably the best nights entertainment you can get for £0.015p per night , beer/lager at the right price,live bands, its all changing though now ,gladly for the better some wmcs even let women onto their commiteee tha knows :clap:

must admit they are a dying breed shame really, as it was a springboard to fame for many

:clap: yup spacehoppers right it was shiregreen working mens club

:o wheres southey says thundercat,southey social club is situated on southey green road tel 2326370 sadly the only wmc to have bouncers,yet its a good club i frequent it most weekends :thumbsup:

they've a great "turn on't stage,on sunday neet called envy"

When working men's club's were in their heyday 1940's-1980's what were the biggest one's in the Sheffield area (Dial House comes to mind) ? I think there was one in Rotherham that was very large too.

I went in the Carlton Working Mens Club on Gleadless Road a couple of weeks ago, what an eye opener that was, children fighting in front of the stage while the turn was on, two of the committee men looked scruffy, one was constantly on his mobile phone. A certain section couldn't stop swearing even though women were sat close by. The glasses were badly stained after months of use, it doesn't take much to bring the sparkle back and to top it all non members were just walking in. This club is dire, the two committee men I've mentioned should at least look the part.

It was Shiregreen Club, some off that filming was taken on open ground

near Skyedge off city rd.

When working men's club's were in their heyday 1940's-1980's what were the biggest one's in the Sheffield area (Dial House comes to mind) ? I think there was one in Rotherham that was very large too.

That would be Greaseboro', saw Acker Bilk, Bobby Vee and a few lesser known acts there.

---------- Post added 29-05-2016 at 10:44 ----------

Shiregreen is where the final scenes were shot, I know someone who was an extra at one of the shoots inside the club.

Always remember Woodhouse Central club ,it had a huge long concert room we arrived too early and were the only ones in so we sat at a table next to the stage,there seemed to be hundreds of empty tables.At the back of the room we saw two dots come in and shuffling along they got bigger and bigger till the old couple came up to our table and promptly informed us we were sitting at their table,we pointed out all the empty tables but they were having none of it and the chairman told us to move.Incredble :)

That would be Greaseboro', saw Acker Bilk, Bobby Vee and a few lesser known acts there.

---------- Post added 29-05-2016 at 10:44 ----------

Shiregreen is where the final scenes were shot, I know someone who was an extra at one of the shoots inside the club.

'Greasboro' ! thank you.

---------- Post added 29-05-2016 at 15:25 ----------

Didn't the film company give them -Shiregreen W.M.C.-only a new stage after promising more ?

Always remember Woodhouse Central club ,it had a huge long concert room we arrived too early and were the only ones in so we sat at a table next to the stage,there seemed to be hundreds of empty tables.At the back of the room we saw two dots come in and shuffling along they got bigger and bigger till the old couple came up to our table and promptly informed us we were sitting at their table,we pointed out all the empty tables but they were having none of it and the chairman told us to move.Incredble :)

There's a care home on the site now. Perhaps the old couple are still moving people off their table. :)

There's a care home on the site now. Perhaps the old couple are still moving people off their table. :)

How old is 'old' ? and in the words of Richie Benuad during the commentary handover 'Thank you Jim'.

We had the same experience one Saturday night in the 60s at Dial House,their concert room was enormous!.A group of us with girl friends arrived early to get good seats for one of the popular turns at the time,I forget which the grey cells are fading I,m afraid!.After at least an hour I received a tap on the shoulder from an ill mannered chappy informing me that I and my girlfriend were sat in their seats,he wouldn,t listen to reason and a nasty scene ensued only ending after I had to persuade him that for health reasons he should look elsewhere for seats!,all totally unessessary the room was as big as a football pitch!.Over the years I witnessed this sort of thing quite a lot in working mens clubs,silly in my opinion if they want a good seat arrive early,simples!.:nod::wave:

We had the same experience one Saturday night in the 60s at Dial House,their concert room was enormous!.A group of us with girl friends arrived early to get good seats for one of the popular turns at the time,I forget which the grey cells are fading I,m afraid!.After at least an hour I received a tap on the shoulder from an ill mannered chappy informing me that I and my girlfriend were sat in their seats,he wouldn,t listen to reason and a nasty scene ensued only ending after I had to persuade him that for health reasons he should look elsewhere for seats!,all totally unessessary the room was as big as a football pitch!.Over the years I witnessed this sort of thing quite a lot in working mens clubs,silly in my opinion if they want a good seat arrive early,simples!.:nod::wave:

Had a similar experience they're were four of us, blokes , at Bellhouse Road W.M.C around 1975, Middle aged couple (head scarf and flat cap) making the same complaint, loudly - a Sunday Lunchtime at that- of course they summoned a committee man and expecting a positive outcome the man told them to find seats elsewhere as 'they only spent "Two bob' every time they came in !"