Share the old sayings that your gran used to say.

Do people still use the delicious phrase "pogged out" to mean they have eaten a little more than their fill?

The next one who farts gets the back of me hand

The next one who farts gets the back of me hand

How delightful!

When we asked her how old she was, my granny used to reply : 'As old as me tongue and a bit older than me teeth'. We found this unsatisfactory as an answer.

For years my gran use to tell us that when grandad went to bed for his sunday afternoon nap he was calling down to her pretty buttercup . we only found out years later he was actualy shouting BRING THE BUCKET UP !

My gran made us all laugh once when she saw two smartly-dressed people approaching her house and groaned 'Oh, bloody hell. It's those Hormones at the door again!'

(She meant Mormons).

Edited by aliceBB

When asked what was for tea, my grandad used to say "Fresh air and a run round the table"

And if you left a door open he would tell you to "Put the wood in the hole"

And, strangely, if someone had passed away, he would tell you that they had "upped and died".

---------- Post added 22-05-2014 at 20:19 ----------

Did anyone else's grandparents refer to "Old Nick". I have no idea who he was but he got the blame for a lot of things.

mi mother used to say "ee thy art gormless at times"

on answer to andy question i thinck by old nick they meant the devil. along with my grans saying the devil makes work for idle hands . Another saying i didnt fathom till years later was . if he.s right in the head i know where there.s an house full ( meaning middlewood hospital )

on answer to andy question i thinck by old nick they meant the devil.

That might be right. If I ever denied doing something naughty, my grandad's challenge was "Who did it then? Old Nick?"

Or if I said I didn't want to make the tea... "Who's going to do it then? Old Nick?"

Another one is "Muggins" when talking about yourself having agreed to do something you didn't really want to do. "Muggins has agreed to do the washing up" for example.

Great-grandmother used to say

"Well if it's a quality carpet, the ash will do it good."

Great-grandmother used to say

"Well if it's a quality carpet, the ash will do it good."

Ha! What was it with grandmothers and carpets? Mine used to chuck tea-leaves all over hers 'to clean it'. What was that all about?!

my nan loved her carpet but they didnt have a fitted ones them days .still remmember the bits of lino to fit round the edges .

Hated having to go home in her head scarf on the bus though cos mum had forgot my hat . ha ha!