United & Wednesday-The nickname Pig

Hi,

After moving to Sheffield a few years ago I always wondered why both teams called the others Pigs.

I asked loads of Sheffield Wednesday fans why they called it United and the answer I always got was:

'I dunno, cos they do us!' Mighty intelligent I thought! :hihi:

So I asked United fans, and was told why they call It wednesday!

'Wednesday ground used to be a pig farm years and years ago!

I looked into the history of it and they are right!

I then asked a few Wednesday fans if they knew about it and they said they didnt!

Im gobsmacked that fans call one another names and dont even know why! Its such a long standing nickname that I thought you should all know why!

Apparently the original nickname 'pig' did actually come from Sheffield United to Sheffield Wednesday in respect of where the ground was built.

and Sheffield Wednesdays response.....................well the red and white of your shirts remind us of streaky bacon!

So for all you Wednesday fans out there, you are officially the first ever pigs and know you know why. And also Sheffield United fans know why wednesday call them pigs. (although abit of a rubbish come back is the bacon excuse I think!)

You may be right about the farm and its the first time ive heard this but to all united fans that look at this and think its funny at least we wednesday didnt use a second hand name Blades or should i say cutlers and if you dont know what im on about wednesday used to be the blades before united and you were the cutlers but we decided to move to owlerton therefore becoming the owls dropping the name blades but then united thought ooooo we like that second rate name we will now be named the blades, so we may be pigs but at least we can make our own nick name up

Load of codswallop about a farm at Hillsborough, there are no records showing of one in that area. If there is I'd like proof.

United are called the pigs cos they are red and white stripes like bacon. :nod:

All of which is childish really, but what the hell, it's fun! :)

Load of codswallop about a farm at Hillsborough, there are no records showing of one in that area. If there is I'd like proof.

United are called the pigs cos they are red and white stripes like bacon. :nod:

All of which is childish really, but what the hell, it's fun! :)

Read any Sheffield history book. I have one at home at the moment where it states it and have many more, showing old plans etc............Cant argue with fact pal (pig) lol.

I followed United for 20 years before emigrating and never heard "pigs" in reference to either team.

I was back in 1977 and 1984 and attended the Lane and still never heard it then.

First time I heard it was by my brother referring to Wednesday when he visited here in the 90's.

Wasn't impressed then and am not impressed now.

Don't know when it started but I suppose that I wish in vain that it would die the death.

That's my opinion anyway. :(

You may be right about the farm and its the first time ive heard this but to all united fans that look at this and think its funny at least we wednesday didnt use a second hand name Blades or should i say cutlers and if you dont know what im on about wednesday used to be the blades before united and you were the cutlers but we decided to move to owlerton therefore becoming the owls dropping the name blades but then united thought ooooo we like that second rate name we will now be named the blades, so we may be pigs but at least we can make our own nick name up

Try again. The nickname Owls was bestowed on Wednesday by a newspaper.

Fans had nothing to do with it except accept it,which they did.

You're right about the Blades nickname but, again, this was probably bestowed by an outsider and the fans just picked up on it. :suspect:

QUOTE]

Sheffield Archives have all the information on this ou may need to know. The land that was bought to build on was 10acres. Part of which was a pig farm. Im sure if you go to the Sheffield Archives they will be more than happy to help you.

I find pigs quite old fashioned and a bit crap now lol.

Im sure we all know what we'd rather call each other.

I heard the old pig farm rumour aswell for Hillsborough.

Theres other ones such as 'what colour is a butchers apron' 'what colour is bacon' blah blah blah

Ive also heard that The Owls used to be called the Blades, many years ago.

utd are pigs because there ground is the sty! lol , we are owls because we are very very wise you see !!! lol oh you got to have a laff all:hihi::):hihi::):cool::P:clap::clap:

This thread reminds me - I've been living in Sheffield for 3 years now and I'm yet to meet a single Wednesday fan that is able to tell me why they are called the Owls! I'm guessing that it's because the stadium is technically in Owlerton but I'll happily be proved wrong if there is another reason for it.

Anybody?

Try again. The nickname Owls was bestowed on Wednesday by a newspaper.

Fans had nothing to do with it except accept it,which they did.

You're right about the Blades nickname but, again, this was probably bestowed by an outsider and the fans just picked up on it. :suspect:

Owls simply came from the fact that they played near Owlerton, which as we all know is pronounced "' 'ole-erton".

The nearest I can find, is that once upon a time, a Day Before Thursdayite director/owner had a piggery.

I haven't got a link, but I do have a copy of a tape from Talk Radio (yes, when it was still called that), which in interference rendered recording, says as such.

It was from the 94/95 season.

It is interesting to note though, that in none of the official histories of Sheffield United, no mention of pigs are made.

Maybe we kept it clean.