Leam Hall Youth Hostel

Leam Hall stands in parkland above the River Derwent and on the opposite hillside to the Surprise view point between Hathersage and Grindleford.

I first stayed overnight at Leam Hall on a Youth Hostel rambling weekend whilst attending Colley Sec Modern in the early 1950s. Miss Marsh and Mr Ken Thompson being the teachers responsible.

Though this may not be correct. I believe Alderman J.G.Graves. bought Leam Hall and surrounding park land prior to donating it to the National Trust. They subsequently allowed Leam Hall to be used by the Youth Hostel Association as a Youth Hostel.

When the hostel was fully booked those Y.H.A. Members unfortunate but having a tent were allowed to camp in the grounds under the rules and regulations applicable to those who were using the Hostel building.

It would be of interest to know if other Forum members first Y.H.A. night out was at Leam Hall

Can anyone confirm what has now happened to it and/or what happened to the Y.H.A.Shop on Gibralter Street, West Bar, Sheffield?

I understand that the Y.H.A. now have a smaller hostel at Hathersage.

Yha moved out of Leam Hall mid 60's (End of Lease i think).

Currently YHA centres close to Sheffield are at Bretton, Edale, Eyam,Hathersage, Ravenstor( Miller's Dale)Youlgreave. Bakewell,Langsett,Matlock are due to close at the end of the 2007 Season.

The shop also closed mid 60's and relocated to Manchester.It did open a shop on Rockingham Street in the 80's/90's however the YHA has since sold off the chain off shops it operated to the private sector.

How Leam Hall became a Youth Hostel in 1939.

The latest development January (39), again solely due to the well-placed and spare cash of Ald. J. G. Graves (as he did at Ravenstor, in 1937), is the arrangement for the furnishing, and the renting out of income-at a nominal figure-of the old yeoman's farm of Leam Hall, now occupied by the recently widowed Mrs. Gregory Rose Innes, whose family have occupied it for generations. There will be accommodation for 80 persons, and about 100 acres of moor and woodland are attached to the Hall, which is situated about a mile south of Leadmill Bridge, near Hathersage.

Does anyone have memory's of staying at Leam Hall Youth Hostel? Was the Wardens name Mr & Mrs Gregory or were they wardens at Ravenstor?

After your stay where did you walk to, and did it persuade you to join the Y.H.A.?

The first time I stayed at Leam Hall was in 1952. After a group sing-a-long, singing the songs from the YHA song book. I went to bed and after breakfast my job was cleaning the Staircase, after which our ramble started.

The route being: Over Eyam Moor to the Sir William then onto Mompessons Well, Eyam village, up hillside path to Bretton Inn, down Bretton Clough to join Stoke ford and eventually the lane running down to the Pub ( The Plough Inn? ) which is situated on the main Hathersage to Grindleford road, then up the road to Hathersage Station and back through Totley Tunnel on the Steam Train to, the then, Smoke filled gritty sooty air, of Sheffield.

A great week-end. Though I did not know it then, Alderman J.G.Graves had made it possible.

----------

Edited by chris w

Hi chris

have seen your message

how far does your history go back for leam hall. I believe it was owned by the athorpe family in 19 century who also owned dinnington hall in dinnington near worksop. My connection is my ggg grandfather thomas outram lived there at leam on the 1871 census at there or at leam-if there is a village of leam i think it may be a collection of houses. My ggg grandfather had a son called robert outram who was a gamekeeper at leam and was buried at leam in 1906. I wonder if he could be buried at leam hall or is there a cemetery at leam itself. So any information you have regarding the hall would be appreciated.

Regards

neil williams

please email me about this!

so strange. i wen on walks on the surrounding hills and down the fields there. remember hearing the train hooting as well. we only moved with my parents a few years ago.

so wierd!

anyway please email me!

Sorry to say Chris but Albert, who started this thread, passed away last year. He was a great character and regular in the walking group.

Taxman

got your reply. Do not understand this.i wrote to chris-you now say it is albert.

Any more details please?

Thanks

neil williams

Taxman

got your reply. Do not understand this.i wrote to chris-you now say it is albert.

Any more details please?

Thanks

neil williams

Albert started this thread. Chris asked Albert to email him. I replied to Chris telling him Albert had died. I was replying to Chris, hence the reason I quoted him.

you do not understand this i wrote to chris about leam hall as his grandparents live there. so your albert has nothing to do with it.

i am hoping to hear from chris.

regards

neil williams

you do not understand this i wrote to chris about leam hall as his grandparents live there. so your albert has nothing to do with it.

i am hoping to hear from chris.

regards

neil williams

Hi Neil,

Taxman's message was directed at Chrisw, who posted before you. Chrisw wanted Albert to get in touch, so Taxman was letting Chris know that Albert has sadly passed away. Although you had posted a message after Chrisw, the posts are shown in time order, which is why your message appears in between the one from Chris and the one from taxman.

I hope this clears up any confusion.

Basically i am trying to get a reply from chris to my email. Hope he replies.

Thanks

neil williams

Basically i am trying to get a reply from chris to my email. Hope he replies.

Thanks

neil williams

I think it will be very unlikely that you get a response from Chris, since he has only ever made that one post & according to his profile hasn't been on since, sorry :(