Forgot where you come from

I was brought up to try and see the best in people. I don't judge people by where they live, how much money they have or their background. I was brought up to have good manners and consideration for others. I was encouraged to think for myself, work as hard as I could, read for pleasure and generally try to do a good deed rather than a bad one.

I moved away from my geographical roots nearly 40 years ago, but the foundations that my parents gave me will always be there. I may have adapted to suit changing times and situations, but thats necessary for survival. I think I've passed some of my values on to my children - they are caring and responsible people, and I'm proud of them both.

I dislike inverse snobbery, where people resent anyone's success, just as much as the other type, where people take a superior attitude because they have more money, or have been more successful. Snobbery when its accompanied by ostentation always makes me want to laugh! (mental picture - Harry Enfield's - 'considerably richer than yow' character)

I know my (very short) roots only too well, born illegitimately & not knowing anything about my mother or father & after many years of heartbreaking searching, the pain & expense getting worse by the minute, eventually finding I had a cousin, who knew at least my mothers family & could give me loads of photo's & info about them, which would have helped me to extend my roots even further, but the sad fact is, after he found out my father was a black GI, he didn't give a toss & totally blanked me, I sometimes feel i could easily wring his neck.

ROOTS....!!! Think yourself lucky if you have any, as i have jack sh*t!!!

I know my (very short) roots only too well, born illegitimately & not knowing anything about my mother or father & after many years of heartbreaking searching, the pain & expense getting worse by the minute, eventually finding I had a cousin, who knew at least my mothers family & could give me loads of photo's & info about them, which would have helped me to extend my roots even further, but the sad fact is, after he found out my father was a black GI, he didn't give a toss & totally blanked me, I sometimes feel i could easily wring his neck.

On the other hand, if the rest of the family's like the moronic cousin, do you really want roots like that?

Dozy

Just sat reading some posts and why do people forget where they come from and what they was like as children ? It really winds me up how many of you actually remember your roots

I've not forgotten where I come from cos, a) I don't suffer from amnesia and, b) I'm now living back in the same village I grew up in. I'm proud of my working class roots, so much so I've even started my family tree to discover more about my ancestors and I will eventually pass that down to my children so they too will know where they come from and also be proud.

On the other hand, if the rest of the family's like the moronic cousin, do you really want roots like that?

Dozy

Definitely not!!! It was his daughter who first contacted me over the net' telling me her family was related to me & that her father was my cousin, I did get photo's of her & her family, all nice & tidy & looking solvent'ish, but she had to relay messages to him because he couldn't be bothered to talk to me, when i sent pic's of me & my family, my daughters being both beautiful & affluent, that was it, the door was slammed reyt in my mush.

So much for racial harmony eh?

I'll never forget my roots or where I come from, that doesn't mean I wan't to revisit the past or pretend I'm still where I was. I've moved on and so have alot of people and most of those people (me included) have a very good reason.

That doesn't mean I'm ashamed of my roots, it means I have my life to lead now.

I'll never forget my roots or where I come from, that doesn't mean I wan't to revisit the past or pretend I'm still where I was. I've moved on and so have alot of people and most of those people (me included) have a very good reason.

That doesn't mean I'm ashamed of my roots, it means I have my life to lead now.

I'll never forget where I came from, its Rotherham :hihi: :hihi:

The rest they say is history :D

I think I have two (unrelated points to make).

First, it would be nice if the OP explained a little. Lots of people still think that they remember there roots (me too), so I'm wondering who it is that the OP thinks doesn't, the implication is that it's lots of people.

Secondly, there's a little bit of rose tinted glasses going on about how great people are in Sheffield and working class folk and all that.

If you go out in town on a Saturday night some of the local working class lads will quite happily beat the hell out of you for looking at them funny or wearing the wrong sort of clothing.

There's nice people in every part of the country, and equally there are scum in every part, Sheffield has it's fair share of both.

Just sat reading some posts and why do people forget where they come from and what they was like as children ? It really winds me up how many of you actually remember your roots

I was born in raised in ATTERCLIFFE. I had a bath in front of the fire every Sunday night ready for school next morning.

I was a good girl most of the time cos if I wasn't, I would have been in trouble.

I brought my own children up in a similar way to how I was and I feel nothing but pride in the way that they have turned out and

before anyone says I was lucky...no, it was down to working at it.

I appreciate what I have had over the years and have never pretended to be anything other than what or who I am. What you see is what you get.

that's horrendous, datal. I'm truly sorry that you came up against this prejudiced ee-jit.how heartbreaking for you.

I suppose you could take comfort in the saying "at least you can choose your friends, cos you can't choose your family".

I have a similar situation in my family, but from the opposite stance.

I have a cousin, who was adopted into our family.

She didn't know she was adopted. (god only knows why... :roll: ) she was never told.

It was a sort of open secret. We were told that we littlies (we were only five years old,) couldn't say anything, anything at all about it.. "It'd kill her if she finds out" was what we were told; "What she doesn't know won't hurt her!" now I was only a young child when I was forbidden to mention it. I was scared of the consequences, from both sides, (the recriminations from the older fanmily members, if I let the secret out, and the literal interpretation of the warning that it'd kill her if I told) so I kept schtumm. What a horrible, horrible burden to put on a young child!

When her "mum" died, she discovered the truth, as she was going through some papers. It tore her, and the family apart. She discovered that others knew what she hadn't.

The prediction was right... it did break her heart when she found the truth. She refused to have anything to do with the family again.

There's been no contact from her, in many years.

I wish we could have contact with her. It is so painful, to me, that this secret has divided our family.

I can't understand someone rejecting their "Own",

Good god! I'd love to hear from her. If I was a relative of someone who'd been adopted away, I'd be desperate to be in contact with them:- I'd only be rejecting of them if , eg, they were convicted of something dire....

I was born in raised in ATTERCLIFFE. I had a bath in front of the fire every Sunday night ready for school next morning.

I was a good girl most of the time cos if I wasn't, I would have been in trouble.

I brought my own children up in a similar way to how I was and I feel nothing but pride in the way that they have turned out and

before anyone says I was lucky...no, it was down to working at it.

I appreciate what I have had over the years and have never pretended to be anything other than what or who I am. What you see is what you get.

Joanl,

I was at school with your son and daughter, (as you know!) and I have to say, you are so right. Like my parents did with me, and my sisters, you brought your children up properly, to be well-behaved, and polite.

They are, definitely a credit to you, then and now, you have every right to take pride in that.

It's just such a pity that other people can't or won't put as much care into the raising, and particularly the control, of their children, as our parents did for us.

PT

i remember my roots, im still the same person i used to be, but my sister married into money and shes forgotten hers, so sad really:(