Forgot where you come from

Just sat reading some posts and why do people forget where they come from and what they was like as children ? It really winds me up how many of you actually remember your roots

I remember my roots. They were dark brown, now most of them are silver:( :(

I certainly remember when I was a kid. Im proud to say I was a little turd too :D

i came from sheffield

thats why im here :D

Not sure what's meant here but I remember my roots very clearly.

I had hard working parents who expected me to work hard at school and do my best, respect my elders and generally behave.

It's something I've carried with me the rest of my life. My parents wanted me to do better than they'd done - which I again hope I've one.

I don't think you can ever forget your roots, even though you might want to. Larkin's 'This Be The Verse' pretty much sums it up for me. On a more positive note, if you've had to struggle somewhat to get to the place you are now, it's likely that those roots will make you appreciate the journey and the destination more than you might if it had been simply handed to you with minimal effort.

Actually, that didn't sound much more positive did it? :hihi: .

How can one ever forget their roots. My sister lives in America and would never forget that she was born in Sheffield.

I'm just thankful that I woke up in my own bed.

Where I came from to get here? ..... isn't so important just now!

Not sure what's meant here but I remember my roots very clearly.

I had hard working parents who expected me to work hard at school and do my best, respect my elders and generally behave.

It's something I've carried with me the rest of my life. My parents wanted me to do better than they'd done - which I again hope I've one.

Well said JoeP.

I think my parents had the same aspirations for me, I hope I lived up to their expectations.

I think it's true that you appreciate where you are now if you've come along, so to say.

I used to stay with an aunt and uncle most weekends and my uncle worked for a while in mines rescue - it was only as an adult that I realised that there was a finite chance of him not coming back from work. My dad spent his working life doing manual labour, frequently messing with chemicals and materials that I found out when I went to university were carcinogens. Only the other day I remembered him coming home with a smashed up thumb after it was hit with a sledgehammer. My mum stayed working for as long as she could to see me through to university - I realised that a lot of what my parents did was to ensure that I didn't have to go and do a job that would be messy and dangerous.

I appreciate my roots because of the efforts my parents put in to get me away from them.

Well my family have sort of gone downhill since the 1920s but I dont care really, I live my life for me, not for the memories of ancestors.

No matter how destiture we get today we`re STILL living like kings when compared to even the richest people of a hundred years ago.

My goodness what terrific parents you had Joe. Lots of our dads were in dangerous jobs, in the steelworks, and down the mines, and they did not want us following in their footsteps. You dont realise until you get older what risks they took just to bring home a weekly wage.