Commuting from Dore station to the city

I was thinking about commuting from Dore into the city but coming back at night seems ridiculous with a 2 hour gap between trains from Sheffield to Dore between 17.14 and 19.14 !! Is this really true ? BR tell me so but yet there are 3 trains in the morning in quick proximty to the city...........so why so little coming back at night !?!?

Also it it true that the trams up towards the Meadowhall direction only run from 9am to 6pm at night ? What about those people who would like to use it early or late ??! Are there any good alternatives like buses, etc.

Thank you in advance for any advice, hints, etc. offered

• 5 months later...
Guest Mr BusDriver

Hello Ted.

Yes Iam afride that the Sheffield Midland - Manchester Picc (SLOW ) train service is not very good to say the least.

A new First Northwestern timetable comes out on the 4th of Jan 2004 if you call 0845 600 1159 and ask for number 5 timetable they will send you one.

There are plans to have 4 platforms at Dore insted on 1.

this would mean connecting trains to Chesterfield, Derby, London

Manchester and Sheffield Midland.

However this is in the hands of Network Rail so you WILL be waiting a long time.

It's true there is a 2 hour gap in the evening peak, First Northwestern has been trying to fill that by putting on an 18:15 train from Sheffield for a couple of years now but they cannot get the path as EWS freight have snaffled them all and won't give them up. There is hope that the new Transpennine Express company might stop a fast train at Dore around 6ish.

Trams run on the Yellow route to Meadowhall up to about 23:45, you've probably looked at the timetable for the purple Herdings-City route which is extended through to Meadowhall during shopping hours.

LINKS:

http://www.firstnorthwestern.co.uk

http://www.tpexpress.co.uk

http://www.supertram.com

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mr BusDriver
Originally posted by Jess

Just as a matter of interest, Dore Station did have 4 platforms once.There is a picture of it on the wall at Fox House.

Thats right Jess:thumbsup:

It went to 1 platform in about 1980-81 now we have the biggest bottleneck of trains outside of London around Dore Station:loopy:

• 5 years later...
I was thinking about commuting from Dore into the city but coming back at night seems ridiculous with a 2 hour gap between trains from Sheffield to Dore between 17.14 and 19.14 !! Is this really true ? BR tell me so but yet there are 3 trains in the morning in quick proximty to the city...........so why so little coming back at night !?!?

Also it it true that the trams up towards the Meadowhall direction only run from 9am to 6pm at night ? What about those people who would like to use it early or late ??! Are there any good alternatives like buses, etc.

Thank you in advance for any advice, hints, etc. offered

i wonder if he ever did get the train from dore to town:huh::hihi:9i'll wait for andyC the resident forum train announcer to update me on the times):hihi:

• 1 month later...

Archived