Catalogue fraud attempts using your address?

also happened to 2 friends where this bloke moved in to their flats and before doing so took out loads of credit using their addresses for very substantial sums. I advised them to write to these companies under s77 Consumer Credit Act 1974 to obtain copies of the contract and related info. The really great thing about this is that the companies must reply within seven days and, if after 30 days they havent replied then they've committed an offence which can be referred to trading standards. :) I can assure you that after doing that my friends have never heard from these companies again. :D

also happened to 2 friends where this bloke moved in to their flats and before doing so took out loads of credit using their addresses for very substantial sums. I advised them to write to these companies under s77 Consumer Credit Act 1974 to obtain copies of the contract and related info. The really great thing about this is that the companies must reply within seven days and, if after 30 days they havent replied then they've committed an offence which can be referred to trading standards. :) I can assure you that after doing that my friends have never heard from these companies again. :D

That's a really useful thing to know. Thanks

Credit is now done against a person, and not an address, but there are 3 reference agencies that are used by companies for credit checks - Experian, Equifax and Callcredit

The Consumer Credit Act 1974 gives you a statutory right to see your credit reference files by simply writing to them, with a £2 cheque, and detailing your past addresses. To do this write a letter and enclose a £2 cheque/ postal order.

From MoneySavingExpert

This is why I was so concerned when I started getting Npower correspondence addressed to "The Occupier" at my address; letter thanking me for mycustomer, contract, payment card, and then a statement of account. They have assured me it's nothing sinister and that it's an error on their system, but since then I've had yet another letter addressed to "The Occupier"!