Newfield School History

Know cannot recall her name, but i was just thinking ,my sister went to newfeild the same time as you her form teacher was miss fletcher. her name is Jean Kelly do you remember her ?

No, but i've just remembered the names of some of my teachers and form mistresses, Newfield Girls 1962 - 1966. amongst the teachers I remember are:- Mrs Hughes - English and 1st Year form mistress, Mrs Compton - science, Mrs Fletcher- Maths, Mrs Warburton - Maths and 4th year form mistress, Mrs Quinlan - P.E, Miss Wilson Religious education and 3rd year form mistress, Mrs Dewsnap - Cooking, Miss Topliss was the Head, at Newfield.

Can any of you original students remember if there were two bungalows on site?

Danny

Your query re 2 bungalows on site. I presume you are referring to the 2 bungalows provided for the school caretakers.

When you crossed the bridge, on the left, near the small drive that turned right up to the school was the residence of Archie Sockett, caretaker of the boys school. I used to work with his son Dave.

The bungalow for the girls school caretaker was located at the side of the drive in front of the girls school.

Sorry, but time and memory don't allow me to recollect their size and shape !

Have you heard the story relating to the Deputy Head, John Wilson ?

He parked his car outside the main doors. Unfortunately he once left the doors unlocked and somebody ( I don't know who ) released the hand brake. The car rolled down the drive, across the main drive and down the field, finishing up badly damaged !

Obviously the pupils found this amusing, but the poor guy must have been

extremely upset at the loss of his car, which I think was a right off !

Danny

Some serious historical info for you !

Mention is made of Newfield in an Indenture of Bargain and Sale on 2nd of December 1622, between Francis Parker of London ( formerly of Norton Lees ) and John Bullock of Norton, where about 40 field names are given.

Newfield is one of them along with Upper Cockshutt which is the site of the school.

Well I didn't know of that! I found this really old map which has the area of Newfield School listed as Upper Cockshutt farm.

Can any of you original students remember if there were two bungalows on site?

The caretaker who occupied the blue building bungalow during the 70s, was called Mr Stanley, who was well known in his ealier years as a race walker in the Sheffield area (Star Walk etc). He was part of / and organised the race walking club, at the school.

Hi Hazel, I was at Newfield 64 -69. Miss Whitham was deputy head, taught History & Miss French was the French teacher. We also used to have Miss Crookes for English. Our year was the last as a Girls only school, it became a comp that September. We were the last to use the flat, in fact after our exams we spent most of the summer in there. Do you remember Mr Stanley, the caretaker? Nice old guy. Said he was dreading the school becoming mixed after the summer holidays.

How long were the lessons in the Girl's School?

They were termed double and single lessons,eg single half an hour,double 1 hour.We had time tables with which lessons we had on certain days.

So was a lesson in the house flat a double or single lesson?

So was a lesson in the house flat a double or single lesson?

The House flat was an a weekly excercise for fourth years, I think 4 pupils at a time went in and stayed all week. No other lessons were taken. and we didn't have to wear uniform either.

Hello again,

I am nearing the end of creating the text part of the written booklet, and I will very soon be starting the documentary. At the moment I am at the stage of writing between the period of 1970 - 1990.

My question is towards thoose in the era of the Blue and Red building. Did students of the upper and lower School ever swith buildings, for cooking and woodwork for example?