Newfield School History

I went to Newfield Girls 1962 - 1966. amongst the teachers I remember are:- Mrs Hughes, Mrs Compton, Mrs Fletcher, Mrs Warburton, Mrs Quinlan, Miss Wilson, Mrs Dewsnap, Miss Topliss was the Head, at Newfield. We were told that the girls school which was blue should really have been the boys, makes sense if you think about it blue for boys and red for girls, never knew why they changed it though. The girls used to start 10 mins before the boys at 8.50 and finish 10 mins earlier 3.50ish i think, so that the boys and girls wouldn't meet. It worked at night but not in the morning. The houses were rivelyn, loxley, porter and sheaf, Loxley was Red, sheaf yellow, I think rivelyn was green so porter may have been blue. We were taught in rows of desks - 2 to a desk and we were not allowed to talk at all. Prefects would stand at stgrategic points before registration and after breaktimes, to tell us to stop talking or running etc. and woe betide us if we were not wearing the correct uniform, the girls was bottle green skirt, blazer, raincoat, beret and tie with a white blouse. We had assembly everfy morning where we said prayers and sang hymns. If you need to know any more specific questions, p.m. me and I will do my best to answer.

Hi,Hazel i was there from 64-68 our paths must have crossed at some point i remember all the things you have stated,but what about the name tags we had to wear in the colour of your house,I remember i was in rivelin so therefore it was green.

Cathy

Hi,Hazel i was there from 64-68 our paths must have crossed at some point i remember all the things you have stated,but what about the name tags we had to wear in the colour of your house,I remember i was in rivelin so therefore it was green.

Cathy

Yes I'd forgotten the dreaded name tags, as Mrs Fletcher used to say' Woe betide you if you forgot to put it on, do your homework or even if yhou drew a wobbly line in maths she would chastise you for not using your ruler' I was in Loxley so mine was red. Do you remember the flat, 4 girls at a time, in the fourth year went in and had to clean, cook and wash, then at the end of the week we had to invite teacher to lunch. As I went in almost at the end of term and my leaving the teachers didn't have time to come so we got away with that one.

Yes I'd forgotten the dreaded name tags, as Mrs Fletcher used to say' Woe betide you if you forgot to put it on, do your homework or even if yhou drew a wobbly line in maths she would chastise you for not using your ruler' I was in Loxley so mine was red. Do you remember the flat, 4 girls at a time, in the fourth year went in and had to clean, cook and wash, then at the end of the week we had to invite teacher to lunch. As I went in almost at the end of term and my leaving the teachers didn't have time to come so we got away with that one.

Yes, remember that too,we had mrs quinlan i know she was,nt the most poular teacher but i quite liked her. Oh happy days.

Yes, remember that too,we had mrs quinlan i know she was,nt the most poular teacher but i quite liked her. Oh happy days.

Mrs Quinlan taught PE, she was the one who told us about the birds and the bees, I remeber being in the gym when she was explaining something or other and another teacher came in,she stopped straight away.

Do you remember the French teacher, she was a Miss can't remember her name, she used to go to the domestic science rooms every morning break, the older kids used to tell us she drank blood and was a witch, because the drink she came out with was red. I was later told that she had anemia and had to take this medication, I only had her for french once I think everyone was scared of her, one girl didn't know the franch for cat and she kept all the class in until 4.30, mum was going frantic when I got home.

My husband Robert Winter attended Newfield until 1961 leaving Heeley Bank when Newfield opened in 1958- he was Head boy, won the Victor Ludorum and was also a member of the team that won Clegg Shield along side Peter Wragg, David Staley and others. He played left back. The match took place at the old United training ground at Ball Inn.

Mrs Quinlan taught PE, she was the one who told us about the birds and the bees, I remeber being in the gym when she was explaining something or other and another teacher came in,she stopped straight away.

Do you remember the French teacher, she was a Miss can't remember her name, she used to go to the domestic science rooms every morning break, the older kids used to tell us she drank blood and was a witch, because the drink she came out with was red. I was later told that she had anemia and had to take this medication, I only had her for french once I think everyone was scared of her, one girl didn't know the franch for cat and she kept all the class in until 4.30, mum was going frantic when I got home.

Know cannot recall her name, but i was just thinking ,my sister went to newfeild the same time as you her form teacher was miss fletcher. her name is Jean Kelly do you remember her ?

Hi Smary

I remember Bob, although he was a couple of years older than me.Think I'm right in saying he was a keen cyclist. I was at the Ball Inn that day when we won the Clegg Shield. Think the score was 1-0, but I can't remember who we played.

I played in 1962 when we beat Beaver Hill in the final at the Ball Inn 3-0

The team that day was Joe Mallinson, John Millington, John Osborne, Graham Leesley, Roger Stevenson, Mick Smith, David Sendall, Mick Harrity, Graham Wild, Jimmy Finney and John Naylor. Reserves were Brian Kay and Roy Goodinson.

Joe Mallinson and John Millington have unfortunately passed away.

Sad to relate also that 2 other Newfield lads are no longer with us. John Kay, who had a long career with the police and Brian Seggar who once lived on Burcot Road at Meersbrook.

Time moves on and we grow old !

Yes Runningam you have the right Bob he was a keen cylist,but at 50 he decided he preferred running and at 52 won the Jeddah marathon 2 hours 57 minutes in 40 degrees not bad for an oldie. He now lanquishes in Cornwall enjoying hours out at sea in his boat.

Compelling thread this one. Perhaps we are wandering away from helping with the lads assignment.

Those pupils coming to Newfield in 1958, came from Sharrow Lane, Heeley Bank, Anns Road and Meersbrook Bank. Those schools were of course relics of buildings from the Victorian age. What a change awaited us, how exciting it all was. A real mixture of Lads, some who had only just failed the 11 + who would blossom into excellent scholars. Some real rough necks who thought nothing of having a scrap every break time and spending most of their time at school trying to intimidate lads too scared to fight back.

The school produced some real winners. David Storf became a Wednesday player. Mick Harrity played for Rotherham United. Keith Rae excelled at basketball. Lol Harper was a superb runner. One lad, I think his name was Brian Smith, won some major diving trophies.

On reflection the teachers prepared you well for adult life. Mr Houdmont for all his strictness was a motivator and expounded good moral values for later life. Mr Fearneough gave me a life times interest in the History of Sheffield.

Mr Bromyard was an excellent teacher of all aspects of the English Language.

Mr Witheford was a well respected PE teacher. Mr Wilson was another who was strong on values. You may not have liked some of their methods, but they were individuals who left a lasting positive impression.

Mr Dawn constructed an allotment garden and greenhouse, which was unfortunately destroyed in the gale of February 1962. Attending school the morning after was a sad occasion, with the roof ripped off the gymnasium and some of the classrooms.

After school clubs thrived. Mr Smith organised the Geographical Society.

Mr Fineberg supervised the chess club in the library. There was an art club, badminton club and a basketball club. Teachers giving up their own time. Do they do that today? Trips to the Yorkshire Dales, Heathrow Airport, Windsor Castle, London Zoo and the Tower of London. Plenty of advice and information on jobs and careers.

Happy Days, I had better shut up ! You boy at the back, stop talking.

God I don't know why I didn't start this thread earlier, this is exactly the kind of information I have been looking for. Also to thoose who were students during the gale of 1962, I have found some old photos at School from the Star showing the remains of the Gym roof and the upper classrooms.

As an update: The Gym, Hall, Art Rooms, Library, Offices have been demolished. There is a breeze block wall straight through the corridors that led off the first staircase. I managed to film most of this action, so when I have downloaded the film I will upload some pictures to the site. The rest of the building is set to stay for another two years.

I have had a story from and ex-pupil who started in 1959, who can recall the Head Boy ramming the 'School Bully' straight down the condements table in the dining room. Was this anyone in this topic?

I think I may also have found that we recorded photo diary. It has loads of photos of School teams, Beekeepers clubs, Cycling Perfection and more.

Just checked with hubby Bob Winter he wasn't the Head Boy who sent the school bully down the table - he became Head Boy in 1961 the year he left.

Would love to see any photos to see if he is on the pics. Don't have any of him as a youth!

Danny

The incident in the dining room is a fact. Sorry, the names of the individuals must remain a secret ! The bully was a pain to everyone throughout his time at Newfield. His assailant became a Police Officer.

Instead of me rambling on and boring people, if there is any aspect of the schools history around 1958 - 63 you want information on, just ask.