Newfield School History

This thread was started in May 2007 by S8Danny, a lad I did meet.

He is no longer registered on here and I would like to make contact with him again.

Anyone know him who could pm me contact details.

Thanks !

Further to the above

Does anyone know contact details for Danny Wallace, lived in the Norton Lees area

Please pm me

Thanks

I went to Newfield Girls 1962 - 1966. amongst the teachers I remember are:- Mrs Hughes, Mrs Compton, Mrs Fletcher, Mrs Warburton, Mrs Quinlan, Miss Wilson, Mrs Dewsnap, Miss Topliss was the Head, at Newfield. We were told that the girls school which was blue should really have been the boys, makes sense if you think about it blue for boys and red for girls, never knew why they changed it though. The girls used to start 10 mins before the boys at 8.50 and finish 10 mins earlier 3.50ish i think, so that the boys and girls wouldn't meet. It worked at night but not in the morning. The houses were rivelyn, loxley, porter and sheaf, Loxley was Red, sheaf yellow, I think rivelyn was green so porter may have been blue. We were taught in rows of desks - 2 to a desk and we were not allowed to talk at all. Prefects would stand at stgrategic points before registration and after breaktimes, to tell us to stop talking or running etc. and woe betide us if we were not wearing the correct uniform, the girls was bottle green skirt, blazer, raincoat, beret and tie with a white blouse. We had assembly everfy morning where we said prayers and sang hymns. If you need to know any more specific questions, p.m. me and I will do my best to answer.

My nannan attended around about then. I am trying to find a few of her old school friends.

Christine newbold

Denise kingwood

Jacqueline Rodis

Dorothy ( can’t remember her last name everyone used to call her dodo)

Hey all, I attended Newfield from around '62 - 66 ish and happened across this thread finding it fascinating and bringing back memories. Among the comments made I can relate to many of the incidents, Caramac had an unfortunate time of it I expect. There were a few Afro- Carribeans during the time I was there and for anyone feeling some comments un-PC you have to remember they were different times back then and these new incomers were then a bit of a novelty.

I remember the Grudges, Adolphus Bonswell, Trevor Sharpe and Vinroy Ennis ( who could well be Dad/Grand-dad of Jessica Ennis). They were all decent lads as far as I was concerned.

Teachers were Thraves (head), Chinny Wilson (deputy) Houdemont, Scattergood, Phillips, Pye, Gears, Longden, Snape (snippet), Williams, Davison,

Russon and many more. Miss Fry was the sercetary.

A typical day might include English, art, Geography, P.E, music, woodwork/metalwork and the rest is history! (sorry, couldn't resist).

Boys/girls school were separate in my day I seem to remember some fraternizing walking up and down that long drive.

Happy days?

Cheers, 4x2

OK all you old Newfielders who are still alive out there wherever you may be....expose yourselves! (Not literally that is) 

Running man you mentioned that you played with Mick  Harrity, he eventually went on to play for Bradford P.A. I played against him on a couple of occasions, I went to Rowlinson and don't think we played in the same comp as Newfield, but did play against him for Stocksbridge in the F.A  cup I can't remember the score but I do remember they beat us. He was quite a decent player. He also went to work as a car salesman with Bentley bros. at St Mary's gate. My father was a salesman at the wicker branch. My sister also went to Newfield from about 1960  to 1965. also Dennis Ashton who was related to me and was a friend of mine, he would have played in the same team as you, a speedy winger.

10 hours ago, Aussie man said:

Running man you mentioned that you played with Mick  Harrity, he eventually went on to play for Bradford P.A. I played against him on a couple of occasions, I went to Rowlinson and don't think we played in the same comp as Newfield, but did play against him for Stocksbridge in the F.A  cup I can't remember the score but I do remember they beat us. He was quite a decent player. He also went to work as a car salesman with Bentley bros. at St Mary's gate. My father was a salesman at the wicker branch. My sister also went to Newfield from about 1960  to 1965. also Dennis Ashton who was related to me and was a friend of mine, he would have played in the same team as you, a speedy winger.

Good evening Aussie man !

Yes, did play with Mick, nothing fancy about him, but a strong lad.

He was captain when we won the Clegg Shield at the Ball Inn in 1962. Beat Beaver Hill 3-0

I always thought that Mick went to Rotherham when Tommy Docherty was their manager. Docherty unfortunately released Mick.

Last saw Mick in 1991 when most of that 1962 team played against the Newfield boys first 11. We put on a good show and drew 4-4.

Remember most of that team were in their mid forties.

In 1991 Mick had travelled up from Torquay I think where he had a newsagents shop.

Dennis Ashton I remember lived on Staveley Road, am I right ?

If so, I bought a ticket from him for the semi final at Elland Road, Leeds, in 1961 when the Blades drew 0-0 with Leicester

Happy days, lovely memories of some great lads !!

Edited by Runningman
added date

Yes you are correct about Dennis. I played for Rotherham when Docherty came only in the lower teams, he released us all without even a glance. I can't remember Mick Harrity being there.

15 hours ago, Aussie man said:

Yes you are correct about Dennis. I played for Rotherham when Docherty came only in the lower teams, he released us all without even a glance. I can't remember Mick Harrity being there.

Hi Aussie man and thanks for your reply

Obviously mistaken about Mick

On 27/10/2019 at 07:18, Stevewm said:

OK all you old Newfielders who are still alive out there wherever you may be....expose yourselves! (Not literally that is) 

It seems no-one wants to admit to being at Newfield but I'm prepared to stick my neck out.

I WAS THERE AROUND EARLY SIXTIES!

There, I've done it

4x2

2 hours ago, Fourbytwo said:

It seems no-one wants to admit to being at Newfield but I'm prepared to stick my neck out.

There, I've done it

4x2

Hi Fourbytwo

I am beginning to wonder that a large proportion of lads that attended Newfield don't have any interest in the internet!

Would be nice to hear from more of them.

I'm sad to think that a lot of lads my age will no doubt be no longer with us.

Some  ex Newfield lads who I know have passed away are John  Millington, Bryan Segger, John Kay and Roy Waring

Teachers no longer with us, Colin Bromyard, Maurice Houdmont and Jim Witheford

On 20/11/2019 at 13:09, Fourbytwo said:

There, I've done it

4x2

yeah, I was there then, squirrel (Paul Beatson), banger (Johnny Hill), Wilf Myers were all in my year, chinny was deputy head.

Was there from 63 to 68. Best memory's the trolley race each year

fave lessons metalwork wIth mr Brian Hurst and science with mr Philips

throbber thrives was head and chinney Wilson dept head.