Newfield School History

Fab, thank you choogling, I’ve sent her a friend request.

On 25/02/2020 at 05:41, Janet Olsen said:

Linda I hope you keep going with your book I am sure if nothing else it will put your life into some kind of perspective for you maybe make you aware of things about yourself you didn't realise. I have read a few fantastic  books by a Sheffield chap (can't think of his name off hand) We're's Me Mam & Wer's me Dad for example, really enjoyed them & brought lots of memories back. I think we were so lucky to have been born into the era we were. The 60's were just unbeatable wern't they? the music the fashion the dancing etc. Nothing beats those days.

Mrs Hughes was a fantastic English teacher & also even made religion interesting didn't she? Wondering if you still keep in touch with Shirley F?

sent your face book page link to coyote5.

2 hours ago, choogling said:

sent your face book page link to coyote5.

Thanks, sent you a request xx

Hi,just foundthis page by browsing. 

I was in class 4B and left around 1968 

joined the army as a boy soldier 

I remember messers Bromyard  ,houdmont,Wilson thraves 

Regards to anyone who was there at the time 

14 hours ago, ray6 said:

Hi,just foundthis page by browsing. 

I was in class 4B and left around 1968 

joined the army as a boy soldier 

I remember messers Bromyard  ,houdmont,Wilson thraves 

Regards to anyone who was there at the time 

I left in 65 to join the army as  a junior leader r.a.c, transferred to r.e.m.e as an apprentice mechanic. The forms were named after year and stream when I left ie.1.1  2.1 etc,  because my parents could not afford to keep me on at school I went from 1.1, 2.1, 3.1 down to 4.3 in the last year effectively wasting a quarter of my time there .never liked the place especially the splitting up of boys and girls into separate schools.

On 27/05/2007 at 17:36, Runningman said:

Hi Danny

Yes, Mr Houdmont was the Head of Maths. He was a Belguim by birth. When we visited Belguim with the school in 1960, I remember him calling at the family home in Bruges.

More memories - Failing the 11 plus was a real blow, but once we had visited Newfield for a look round prior to starting in Sep '58, WOW !! The location, what a view over the city. Sports pitches all around the school. A gymnasium and science labs. Woodwork and Metalwork areas, the large dining room and what I considered to be very enjoyable dinners. Cross country running and an athletics track. Art classes with Peter Owen Jones and memories of sitting and sketching at the side of the old farm. Music lessons with Mr Kirk, an obsessed Wednesdayite ! Jim Witheford was the PE Teacher, a really decent fellow and a Unitedite ! I remember the first Harvest Festival I had ever attended and the official opening in March 1959. I think the girls appeared in Sep 1959. Winning the Clegg Shield at the Ball Inn ground in 1962 after a memorable semi final victory, when after being 1 - 3 down at half time against Shirecliffe, we came back and won 5-3. Graham Wild who lived somewhere around Alderson Road had a brilliant game that day.

I will put the thinking cap on again and come back later with some more memories. Are there any former pupils reading this the same age as me ( 60 )

Hi TezzaG, please expand on why you have posted the above

Thanks !

Runningman

We last spoke on here about 5 years ago. to be honest I,d forgotten all about this forum till just now when I came across it again quite by accident. I could not believe you were still here after all this time. I have been going over the thread again and the memories of Newfield came flooding back. I live in Bournemouth so I don't get to Sheffield now at all so these trips down memory lane mean alot. I know we exchanged real names by pm but sorry i've lost all that info. I see from one of your posts even more Newfield boys have now left. I will now keep following this forum and keep in touch with all the new threads.

Best Regards

C---- S---

AKA   XC60

1 hour ago, XC60 said:

Runningman

We last spoke on here about 5 years ago. to be honest I,d forgotten all about this forum till just now when I came across it again quite by accident. I could not believe you were still here after all this time. I have been going over the thread again and the memories of Newfield came flooding back. I live in Bournemouth so I don't get to Sheffield now at all so these trips down memory lane mean alot. I know we exchanged real names by pm but sorry i've lost all that info. I see from one of your posts even more Newfield boys have now left. I will now keep following this forum and keep in touch with all the new threads.

Best Regards

C---- S---

AKA   XC60

Hi  XC60  Will send you a private message

I was at Newfield School from 1964 to 1969. At that time it was an all boys school but in our last year girls started to come across for lessons.

Iam trying  to remember all the teachers we had including their nicknames.

Mr Ring Ringo, French.  Mr Fulbrook Foo Foo Geography,  Mr Wilson Chinney deputy headmaster, Mr Thraves Throbber  headmaster, Mr Pye Jack Music,  Mr Davis PoP Art, Mr Philips Testube Physics, Mr Bromyard Colin English, Mr Houdmont Monty maths, Mr Kyme hammers  in cupboard Woodwork, Mr Lindley Eric Economics, Mr Kenwood Nooka Geography, Mr Woods Forest Geography, Mr Hurst beaded one Metalwork, Mr Mickinney Jock PE, Mr  Gillard  Woodwork, Mr Williams Biology, Mr Broadhead Tech drawing,  Mr Turner Ted Maths,  Mr Hedley PE, Mr Asquith Moses RE, Mr Bullock Dudley Maths, 

I know Mr Ring and Mr Philips are still with us, I wonder If there are any others. They were great teachers and have fond memories of Newfield.

Come on you ex Newfield lads, keep this thread going.

Some information for those of you who remember that rogue of  a lad, Tommy Justice

He passed away earlier this year

On 15/10/2021 at 23:06, Runningman said:

Come on you ex Newfield lads, keep this thread going.

Some information for those of you who remember that rogue of  a lad, Tommy Justice

He passed away earlier this year

Well Runningman, I thought that I had already posted on this thread but seemingly haven't, it must be another one. I was a Carfield intake at Newfield from 61 to 63, Paul Renshaw  went there together and were in the same class, we were close friend both at and out of school, he became head boy and I deputy. I remember the white ribbons sawn around the blazer sleeve cuffs to identify as a prefect; also remember we had the authority to issue lines to misbehavers. The bicycle sheds, if I remember was the best place for catching smokers and don't think the confiscated fags ever got turned in. 

Many of the names I remember, particularly John Nailer, I played in the same football side as he and thought him to be one of the most gifted natural players. I also played in the first 11 cricket side, spent too much time in the nets, and tried out for Yorkshire Colts at Bramhall lane. You had mentioned to me in a PM that Roy Waring had passed away, he too was a good friend, we started an engineering apprenticeships together at Laycock Engineering in September 63. I remember at the time he was madly in love with a girl called Angie from NGS. Brian(?) Jones also started with us and also like Roy joined the police force.

The two books for either GCE or RSA's for English literature were Animal Farm and the Merchant of Venice, I remember all having to learn and recite Portia's speech. Strangely enough having had quite a successful career, I never once had to recite it again.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone from that year.