Newfield School History

I was at Newfield 1966 - 1970. I remember the Teachers mentioned and the Trolley race.  Other Teachers I recall , Mr Kyme ,Woodwork, Mr McKinley PE, Mr Ring, English

Mr Kyme who took over from Mr Hawley (who left after a bout of illness) used to take us rambling. Only in later life did I find out he was a published author with a book on rambling. ((Look it up on google)

13 hours ago, TimeBandit52 said:

Mr Kyme who took over from Mr Hawley (who left after a bout of illness) used to take us rambling. Only in later life did I find out he was a published author with a book on rambling. ((Look it up on google)

Yeah. I'd forgotten about that.

On 27/10/2019 at 07:18, Stevewm said:

OK all you old Newfielders who are still alive out there wherever you may be....expose yourselves! (Not literally that is) 

I’m still here and have just re-read the whole thread, recognising a lot of the pupils and teachers names. Wow, what memories it evoked!  I went to the girls school 1961 to 1965 and would love to hear from anyone with more memories from this era as I am currently writing my autobiography about my life in the 1950’s - 60’s.  Has anyone got any group class photos as I don’t have any.

My name then was Linda C and my best friend was Shirley F.

Regards

Coyote5

Edited by Coyote5

Linda C  I was in the same class as you & Shirley F. My cousin was also in the same class we had the same surname?  (Janet & Susan) My best friend was also in that class Jean P who is still my best friend & who is visiting me here in Oz in May we are celebrating her 70th & mine which I had in October last year. Jean was here for her 60th & we had a fantastic time with our husbands & my family. So we are repaeting it for our 70th. I wanted to do a parachute jump but Jean settled for a hot air balloon flight haha. I have had a little contact with Ann A (twin). Lovely girl, lovely lady. Her friend Rita J died a few years ago very sad.  Unfortunatly I don't have any photos from that era Linda can't remember having class photos taken at Newfield to be honest.

On 20/11/2019 at 13:09, Fourbytwo said:

It seems no-one wants to admit to being at Newfield but I'm prepared to stick my neck out.

I WAS THERE AROUND EARLY SIXTIES!

There, I've done it

4x2

I was there 61-65 my favourite teacher was Mr. Houdmont  I didn't find out till the other day  that he was the headmaster at Meersbrook Bank at one time , Mr Pye was a strange fellow but he got me into music ,he used to play us Gilbert and Sullivan from records while explaining the plot etc.

On 14/02/2020 at 10:46, Janet Olsen said:

Linda C  I was in the same class as you & Shirley F. My cousin was also in the same class we had the same surname?  (Janet & Susan) My best friend was also in that class Jean P who is still my best friend & who is visiting me here in Oz in May we are celebrating her 70th & mine which I had in October last year. Jean was here for her 60th & we had a fantastic time with our husbands & my family. So we are repaeting it for our 70th. I wanted to do a parachute jump but Jean settled for a hot air balloon flight haha. I have had a little contact with Ann A (twin). Lovely girl, lovely lady. Her friend Rita J died a few years ago very sad.  Unfortunatly I don't have any photos from that era Linda can't remember having class photos taken at Newfield to be honest.

Hi Janet, yes I remember you, your surname began with D. I also remember Susan, Jean and Anne too. I'm sorry to hear about Rita. Glad to hear you're fine and having fun over in Oz, I had my 70th last December. Jumping out of a plane eh! Wow, steady on girl! I had a trip to Florida for my 70th, courtesy of my partner. No, I don't recall having single or class photos taken at Newfield either, I was beginning to think it must have slipped my memory which is usually pretty good, so if you also can't remember them I will asume they never happened. My book is coming along nicely and I'm determined to finish it before my next birthday. 

Best wishes to you Janet xx

Good on ya Linda as we say in Oz. Yes you have the correct surname. Our Sue still lives locally  & when we have previously visited the UK Sue Jean & I visited the school when it was still there, it was a weekend so we just had a bit of a walk around & a trip down memory lane. Memories stay with us for ever don't they & some of those teachers are as fresh in my mind as they were back then. Terrified of Mrs Fletcher (Guess what my daughters surname is now she is married??? yep Fletcher). Loved Mrs Hughes Mrs Payling & even Mrs Warburton in the end.    Atrip to Florida sounds great Linda hope you enjoyed it. Jean & Andy reckon their trip while they were with us,  to  Frazer Island was the highlight of their Queensland experience. Frazer is the largest Sand Island in the world. They had a trip in a very small 9 seater plane over the island as well which is very memorable.  Hope we enjoy the hot air balloon experience as much (tame as it is haha).   Good luck with your book Linda I often think about putting pen to paper & I suppose I should do that to some extent for the grandkids because it's too late to aske the questions when we are gone isn't it? I know I regret not asking my parents more while I had the chance. My life has had so many twists & turns Linda it might take another life time to write it all down though haha.  I don't think your memory is faulty, I am sure we never had any class photos at Newfield but I will check with Jean & Anne. Stay well & safe. Great chatting.

On 22/02/2020 at 10:11, Janet Olsen said:

Good on ya Linda as we say in Oz. Yes you have the correct surname. Our Sue still lives locally  & when we have previously visited the UK Sue Jean & I visited the school when it was still there, it was a weekend so we just had a bit of a walk around & a trip down memory lane. Memories stay with us for ever don't they & some of those teachers are as fresh in my mind as they were back then. Terrified of Mrs Fletcher (Guess what my daughters surname is now she is married??? yep Fletcher). Loved Mrs Hughes Mrs Payling & even Mrs Warburton in the end.    Atrip to Florida sounds great Linda hope you enjoyed it. Jean & Andy reckon their trip while they were with us,  to  Frazer Island was the highlight of their Queensland experience. Frazer is the largest Sand Island in the world. They had a trip in a very small 9 seater plane over the island as well which is very memorable.  Hope we enjoy the hot air balloon experience as much (tame as it is haha).   Good luck with your book Linda I often think about putting pen to paper & I suppose I should do that to some extent for the grandkids because it's too late to aske the questions when we are gone isn't it? I know I regret not asking my parents more while I had the chance. My life has had so many twists & turns Linda it might take another life time to write it all down though haha.  I don't think your memory is faulty, I am sure we never had any class photos at Newfield but I will check with Jean & Anne. Stay well & safe. Great chatting.

Bless you Janet, yes I remember many of the teachers and I was scared of Mrs Fletcher too (or piggy on stilts, as we called her when she was out of earshot, haha). I've done quite a bit of writing in the past, Mrs Hughes's English lessons standing me in good stead, I really liked her, and I've been wanting to crack on with my story for over 20 years but never thought I could actually do it. I started jotting down memories in a notebook as they came to me then decided to take the bull by the horns and make a start last October. It's surprising how the memories come flooding back.  Whether or not I can actually get it published as a memoir is a different matter, but at least my son will have something to look back on, a record of what his Mum's life was like growing up. I'd say do it, Janet, give it a go, it might be something you regret later on if you don't.  xx

Linda I hope you keep going with your book I am sure if nothing else it will put your life into some kind of perspective for you maybe make you aware of things about yourself you didn't realise. I have read a few fantastic  books by a Sheffield chap (can't think of his name off hand) We're's Me Mam & Wer's me Dad for example, really enjoyed them & brought lots of memories back. I think we were so lucky to have been born into the era we were. The 60's were just unbeatable wern't they? the music the fashion the dancing etc. Nothing beats those days.

Mrs Hughes was a fantastic English teacher & also even made religion interesting didn't she? Wondering if you still keep in touch with Shirley F?

Hi Janet, yes I'm keeping going with it, doing some writing most days when I get time and I'm determined to finish it. If I give up now, I will always regret it. I'm over half way through it now, so a lot to lose. I can't recall who wrote both of those books you mentioned but I've got copies of both and, like you, I enjoyed them immensely. I think it was the most fabulous time and we were very lucky to have been born when we did, we knew harship but we were always happy and able to play out in the streets without our parents worrying. I'm not in contact now with Shirley for personal reasons but we did stay in touch for quite a lot of years after we both married, going out regularly with our husbands and enjoying spending time together. Janet, I wondered if you could remember if we went swimming with the class when we were at Newfield? I know I did with one school but can't recall whether it was my junior school or the latter. I also tried to find you on Facebook without luck.

8 hours ago, Coyote5 said:

Hi Janet, yes I'm keeping going with it, doing some writing most days when I get time and I'm determined to finish it. If I give up now, I will always regret it. I'm over half way through it now, so a lot to lose. I can't recall who wrote both of those books you mentioned but I've got copies of both and, like you, I enjoyed them immensely. I think it was the most fabulous time and we were very lucky to have been born when we did, we knew harship but we were always happy and able to play out in the streets without our parents worrying. I'm not in contact now with Shirley for personal reasons but we did stay in touch for quite a lot of years after we both married, going out regularly with our husbands and enjoying spending time together. Janet, I wondered if you could remember if we went swimming with the class when we were at Newfield? I know I did with one school but can't recall whether it was my junior school or the latter. I also tried to find you on Facebook without luck.

I will send you pm with Janet's face book link .

Edited by choogling
removed link