Newfield School History

I came across Jim Witheford in Launceston, Tasmania, where he resided

---------- Post added 18-05-2017 at 11:15 ----------

I remember poor old "Caramac"" too. He was a West Indian boy in my year who I think had what is called Albinism. Albino.

Reading some of the nicknames reminded me of one, sorry about what would be P C incorrect today, but because of his parentage was called 'caramac '. I hope no offence is taken by this post.

Yeah, I remember caramac, I think he got the nickname from the chocolate bar that was around at that time.

I think Caramac lived over the wall from Carfield Schools playground as we often used to talk to him at break time .

Another nickname I just remembered was a short guy called "mouse".He was short but no one dared pick on him.Bit of a scrapper.

Reading some of the nicknames reminded me of one, sorry about what would be P C incorrect today, but because of his parentage was called 'caramac '. I hope no offence is taken by this post.

caramac was an albino, I can remember him facing the bullies firing squad not bullets but spit, dirty ********.

I was there during the big storm in 1962 and during the time of Mr wilsons big red "Fire Engine" going for a tu tu down the drive under its own steam without a pilot. I think that someone letting the handbreak off was a bit of school mythology.

I was there during the big storm in 1962 and during the time of Mr wilsons big red "Fire Engine" going for a tu tu down the drive under its own steam without a pilot. I think that someone letting the handbreak off was a bit of school mythology.

i remember that well, the pupil releasing my handbrake story, was a good excuse for forgetting to put it on of course.

I remember the the storm of Feb 1962. Did a lot of damage to the school. My form were temporarily rehoused in science lab 2 on the bottom floor for quite a while. We had to provide a lockable box or case to keep our books and equipment in, until we could return.

Lab 2 was run by Mr Williams, an ex Carfield teacher. He was a lovely man and an excellent teacher. Its a pity I didn't take too much notice at the time.

He always had pearls of wisdom to share and I was saddened to hear he had died not too long after I left Newfield.

RE , The gales of ;62. and Newfield. Was anyone in the classroom when they were fixing the roof and hot pitch poured in and hit a boy on the shoulder. he moved just before a sizeable amount followed. I thing it was a Religeous Ed class.

Ha ha. In that class it was probably Divine Intervention.

This thread was started in May 2007 by S8Danny, a lad I did meet.

He is no longer registered on here and I would like to make contact with him again.

Anyone know him who could pm me contact details.

Thanks !

I remember going on a school skiing holiday for 10 days to Champery in Switzerland. 20 boys, 20 girls and 4 teachers. Bill Booth, Jack Gear and I don't remember the female teachers names.

We were told to apply sun screen on day one. Sun burn from the snow etc etc. But we knew better. At the end of the first day a half dozen of we boys had severe sunburn on our faces and huge blisters which were oozing all the time. We knew that only pansies and shirtlifters wore sunscreen. We didn't go back on the slopes again. Some skiing holiday!!!!

A couple of nights later the same group of us went out to the local hostelry for a few dandelion and burdocks. Well a few too many. I was violently sick. Puked all over my bed and was forced to apologise in French to the owners of the place we were staying in.

I was glad to get back home after that.