Newfield School History

Gotcha'..... 'P Adshead'... Thanks for interest... I actually left Newfield way back in 1960 so I would not know you...or any of the other names you post. (Mr Wilson.. perhaps)

Just out of interest.. a couple of years ago I met a group of pupils with their teachers from 'Newfield' on some kind of educational trip... whilst way out in 'Estapona' Spain. I recognised their Sheffield accents and their fleeces with ''Newfield school'' print... we had a brief chat.

Quite a coincidence I thought... Cheers from Dj

Edited by oscar2157

Well do I remember Newfield Secondary Modern. Was there 1961 to 1965.Mention of the soap box derby brings back one of the funniest memories, the steep hill down to the sports pitch. One of the entrants went fast fast fast towardsthe turn , only didnt turn,the kart hit the kerb head on,came to a sudden and complete stop. The driver unfortunately didnt. The best superman impersonation i have ever seen. He flew head first and dropped out of sight over the hill.The fact that he came out ok was a miracle, but was he a star that day.

The lad in question was Ian Richardson (Flitch to his mates ). He was in form 4.3 and I think he was disqualified for having four class mates push him to get started instead of the official 1. Was the best crash of the day and scared Mr Pye ( who I believe got it all on camera ) to death thinking that Richardson had managed to kill himself, but when the crowd parted there was Ian with a beaming grin on his face crawling up from the wreckage left on the rugby pitch. Smashing Event

Ian never had any intention of making that turn! He was a born stuntman and would sumersalt down and off the old slate toilet outhouse roof.

He certainly had an older brother but I thought his name was Tony (could be wrong he was a different generation/gang to us).

He certainly had an older brother but I thought his name was Tony (could be wrong he was a different generation/gang to us).

Ian had 2 older brothers George, and Paul the eldest and you're right there never was any intention of taking the bend, it was always going to be a spectacular crash and by heck it was.

Must be different Richardsons. The ones I knew lived on club st. On the subject of brothers I remember Phillip and Michael Hunt. We were in the old 139th together.

Must be different Richardsons. The ones I knew lived on club st. On the subject of brothers I remember Phillip and Michael Hunt. We were in the old 139th together.

I too was in the 139th. I played drum along with the 'Hunts' - Peter Mosley - John Woodthorpe on bass drum followed by Roy Ratherham..- Mick Grayson and John Wildsmith on bugle / others of course who's names I don't remember.. am going back 45 years...Cheers from Dj.

Do you remember the great times at Hesley Wood campground. Did you go to Buckmore Park for the 10 day camp. ? I remember the names you mentioned ,do you remember Alan Hardy who used to play the bugle.

I have an old copy of a photo from the 60s of all of us on stage at the gang show we did one year. A veritable who,s who .I wonder how many of us are left. (sorry, lost a few friends this year.)

Do you remember the great times at Hesley Wood campground. Did you go to Buckmore Park for the 10 day camp. ? I remember the names you mentioned ,do you remember Alan Hardy who used to play the bugle.

I have an old copy of a photo from the 60s of all of us on stage at the gang show we did one year. A veritable who,s who .I wonder how many of us are left. (sorry, lost a few friends this year.)

Gotcha'.. sharrowyank'... Yes we had great times at Hesley wood camp on regular weekends..slept in a wooden cabin.. we were 'Fitzwilliam crew' and we did maintenance work around the grounds.. in between supping ale !../... I didn't visit 'Buckmore park' but I recall one near 'Ashbourne' with 'Bod' the leader../.. Re. the band.. I remember an 'Alan Vardy' on bugle.. did you mean him ?...he worked the ambulances... yes I did the 'Gang show' too....It seems now that I must know you... /.. keep in touch.. Cheers from Dj.

Further to above message.... looking back.. I think .. it was ''Alan Varley''...not 'Vardy'../... Some other names from the band...(1960s)../.. Ian Wade../..Roger Wade../..Graham Carpendale../..Barry Watsnidge../..Peter Screwton../..David Peate../..Peter and Stewart Mosley../..and myself Dj.

Edited by oscar2157

My husband played football for Jim Withefords private football team, he was also a member of the winning team which won the Clegg shield 1960?

My husband played football for Jim Withefords private football team, he was also a member of the winning team which won the Clegg shield 1960?

Hi smary, not sure what you mean by Jim Withefords PRIVATE team.

School first team yes, not very private.

By the way I played in the 1962 side that beat Beaver Hill 3-0