Newfield School History

Sorry to double post here but this thread was burried way below. I have now finished the sample booklet and will soon be presenting it to the head to try and pursuade her to get a proper copy.

For thoose in the Secondary modern era:

Did you have to buy your own books?

What did you do at breaktimes?

What were the School meals?

What equipment did you use in general to write with?

What kind of events were there?

Who made and typed the School magazine?

Was cinefilm used at the time. (I am asking this because I have just unearthed a large pile of cinefilm of which I cannot currently date)

What sort of books were in the library?

oh no not the cinefilm !!!!!!!!!!!!!

does it it involve a bus and a german guard trying to rugby tackle a prisoner in a field ?????????????

I was in the 6th form then(1978) and part of a film project - the shame, the shame...........

anyway,

- don't recall buying our own books

- breaktimes easy - football or cricket

- school meals were sarnies to eat while playing football

- equipment - the usual school stuff

- events : can remember staff v teachers football games and inter school matches. The 6th form disco, our own rock band played one gig!

- can remember the school mag but nothing more

- remember it being a decent library

I think I actually have pictures of that 6th form disco with the band playing!

Sorry to double post here but this thread was burried way below. I have now finished the sample booklet and will soon be presenting it to the head to try and pursuade her to get a proper copy.

For thoose in the Secondary modern era:

Did you have to buy your own books?

What did you do at breaktimes?

What were the School meals?

What equipment did you use in general to write with?

What kind of events were there?

Who made and typed the School magazine?

Was cinefilm used at the time. (I am asking this because I have just unearthed a large pile of cinefilm of which I cannot currently date)

What sort of books were in the library?

No we didn't buy our own books, but we were charged 6d - 2.5p if we lost an excercise book.

Breaktimes were spent in the yard, I can remember racing games, but I think we aimlessy walked around talking, some went behind the bicycle sheds to smoke.

School meals - never chips, always mashed potatoe, frsh veg. i remeber cheese pie, braised steak. Choc pudding and custard. we had a 2 weekly menu to alternate the choices. Sorry I can't remember exactly what was on them though.

We had to use a fountain pen, which we had to refill at the back of the classsroom so we didn't spill the ink on our books.

Each yearf the fourth year would put o n a production of a musical. In my year we did Mikado.

We didn't have a school magazine.

Can't remember any cinefilm.

TGHe library - I onoly remember as being educational books, but I could be wrong.

Hope your project goes well. Let us know how you get on, I would be very interested i n reading it when it's finished.

My husband was at Newfield from 1962-65, he was transferred with the Carfield Secondary School pupils which had closed.

The ironical thing is that some Newfield pupils came into Carfield because Newfield was overcrowded then all the Carfield pupils plus the ex-Newfield pupils were all sent to finish their education at Newfield!

I think my husband has a photo of a production of one of the Shakespeare plays which they did, he looked good in tights, I'll see if he'll let me use it for your research!

He'll be extremely interested in this thread when I tell him about it.

Incidentally, someone mentioned Richard Atkinson, he was a neighbour of ours when we lived on Alexandra Road, Heeley. He was a smashing lad and so funny.

Regards,

Marlene

Hi Danny

I have been reading your thread with great interest. I was at Newfield From 1989 which is nearing the end of the era of your interest so isn't probably relevant but my mum attended the school from 1962-1966 i think! She still works there today and has seen many changes.

Thank you for more comments people! Also nuts77, it is a time of which I am missing information, so anything you can tell me would be very useful! I have a very large box of photos of which some of the events are not clear.

hi danny

i don't know where to start! what sort of info you wanting?

the year i started, 1989 was the year that mr threlfall left and mr cockburn started as head teacher. i was in the east wing, though the 2 buildings were very much integrated as 1 school. we were allowed to eat lunch in both buildings and had lessons in both. in 1990 when i went into y8 (new as it was previously known as second year but changed this year) the timetable changed from 4 long lessons per day to 5 shorter lessons with breaks and lunchtimes changed. it was in this year that fundraising for the school minibus started and some time later a bright red bus was bought (don't suppose it's still there?). mr pryce was my head of year. in 1993 i was the first year to go on the work experience exchange to germany.

what else do you need to know and will try to rack my brains!

Hello again,

I know it's ages since I made a post in this topic but I thought it would be better than making a new one. As an update there will now be a published book available around September time for anyone that is interested.

At the moment I am trying to identify as many photos and films as possible to make it more interesting to browse through. If anyone would be interested in helping me name a few please contact me at newfieldhistory@aol.com and I again I would be grateful of any more information or photos.

Thanks,

Danny

Hey Hazel

I also went to Newfield, I thinkI was in the same class as you. I recalled the name of the french teacher you were talking about it was Miss Wood. Do you remember our PT days down on that bloody field in our bottlegreen knickers & t shirts in the snow playing hockey? No wonder I ended up in Australia after being treated like that as a kid haha. I am pretty sure your surname would have begun with a W if I remember correctly.

Do you also remember a lovely teacher who was in a wheelchair Miss Payling? she took us for english before Mrs Hughes who also took us for music & RE I think. Gee it was all more than 40 years ago & sometimes doesnt seem all that long ago when you start talking about it. I had nightmares about the maths teacher Mrs Fletcher until I was about 50 (only joking) imagine my flashbacks though when my daughter brought home her intended & his name is Fletcher & my daughter is now Mrs Fletcher haha.

Danny, I went to Newfield between 1958 - 63 and recall a lot of the names mentioned in many of the treads, particularly Lawrence Harper and Albert Meryill. On leaving school in 63 I became an apprentice mechanic and in 71 I joined the Police Service. Now retired and enjoying life on holidays particularly cruising the Caribbean. Others I particularly remember we're Michael Bracey, Michael Criche (murdered) Paul Gillott. Favourite teacher had got to be Mr Houdmont, strict but fare, you knew where you stood. Went on the school trip to Switzerland and received the record number of 'slipperings' fron, I believe Mr Snaith. There was one other teacher I recall who had a Scottish name who was renowned for throwing the blackboard rubber, chalk, or hitting you across the knuckles with a ruler - imagine today! At school I was very much into cross country running and did represent the school and did win points for my house (can't remember the name, but it was green) at the school sports day. Prior to attending Newfield I was at Sharrow Lane, my last teacher being Mr Buxton. Strangely there is no mention of him on their site for such an iconic teacher who was a legend in his own day.

My husband remembers Mr Houdmont - he thinks he was deputy head. He asks if anyone can remember the legend that was Mr Withyford(PE) and can anyone remember the team that won the Clegg Shield in 1960/61