Cyclists and the supertram

I can't think of many road situations that are more dangerous than an impatient tram driver following a cyclist. Crossing the line to get out of the way is dangerous as it is without the tram up your backside, personally if I were a cyclist (which I'm not) I'd probably make him stop before I crossed the line.

For all you know the tram driver could have only been alerting the cyclist of the tram's presence.

As there are so many aggressive and bad drivers these days, the problem is when a professional driver activates his/her audible warning device (i.e. horn) in a normal manner, people presume this is aggressive.

The trams have a nice ding-ding bell for when they want to alert someone to their presence and a massive hear-it-in-Halifax horn when they want to scare the crap out of somebody.

If they want to be treated equally, they need to brush up on the highway code. They should also be taxed and insured, like "any other vehicle on the road".

Maybe you should raise the whole taxed and insured issue with your local MP. Until cyclists are required to do this then they are breaking no law and deserve to be treated equally.

You also say that they should brush up on the highway code. The same could be said for many people who use different sorts of vehicles, it's not something that is just associated with cyclists.

That's a disappointment that one cyclist could give the rest of us a bad rep. I cycle along a tram route, and it is difficult to give them way sometimes, but I always try to, either by speeding up until there is somewhere to pull in, or by heading up the pavement for bit. I often get a friendly wave from the tram driver.

If they want to be treated equally, they need to brush up on the highway code. They should also be taxed and insured, like "any other vehicle on the road".

Yawn. The same old rubbish argument about tax and insurance that never stands up to scrutiny. Ever thought of thinking an argument through before embarrassing yourself?

Yawn. The same old rubbish argument about tax and insurance that never stands up to scrutiny. Ever thought of thinking an argument through before embarrassing yourself?

I second that.

I second that.

and so do I

besides, I have insurance

Quite a lot of push-bikers sometimes ask for all they get. They do not observe the Highway Code and treat red lights as obstacles to get through any way they can.

I can always spot a 'rogue' cyclist... He invariably wears a woolly hat!

I always find it easy to spot a rogue tram driver. They are invariably sat at the front of the tram honking their horn aggressively.

The tram driver was an idiot, the cyclist was perfectly within his rights.

Tony said:

I always find it easy to spot a rogue tram driver. They are invariably sat at the front of the tram

Where else would they be?