Gleadless, where did it go wrong?

We lived on Ironside Road for three years in the early 90's. Our only problems were car related, stolen three times, broken into four. Other than that we really liked it. We met some wonderful people during that time and made a lot of friends (although I never went in the John O'Gaunt!). I'd heard Gleadless had gone downhill since, but so have other areas of Sheffield. Chavs, drugs and lowlifes aren't area specific, I'm afraid.

that sums up ironside road actually. most people are friendly, and any anti-social problems are definately car related

I've just driven through Gleadless and it's depressing. What's happening up there?

It seems that every time I see this place it's looking more and more like a problem area. I can remember a good few years back it wasn't that bad, in fact some areas were pretty decent, but these days all I see is an area falling more and more in to a depressing state and becoming a troubled area.

Can anything be left alone up there without beind destroyed or vandalised?

It's probably only a small group of people causing the problems, but it's starting to look bad for everyone. Shouldn't something be done to clean the place up before it's too late?

I know there was a thread on here recently where people expressed their concerns about the Manor, but I really can't see the difference between the two areas now. It's like a dark cloud expanding over parts of Sheffield and thanks to these small groups of people it's making some areas less desirable and giving a bad name for residents unfairly.

How did it come to this and where will it end?

how many roads will the AA refuse to enter in gleadless compared to the manor???

i can't recall Gleadless Valley ever having any decent parts?

Potentially the area could be fantastic place to live with all its woods, parks and green spaces but this obviously isnt good enough or appreciated by most.

Gleadless townend and Charnock have a overall better clientele though just a shame theyre so close to all the neanderthalic specimens living in Gleadless Valley.

I've lived around Newfield Green for the last 13 years now without any major problems. I've got unbroken view of fields, trees and greenery right out to the Peak District.

Personally I'm not keen on the Manor but I know that decent people live there while there is a minority of chavs, lowlifes and idiots that ruin it for everyone else and G.V. is no different.

The decline of a lot of sheffield areas started when they demolished Kelvin Flats. They moved the troublesome families out of there into other council estates and the decline started. Dont get me wrong Ex kelviners not all of you are to blame, im not out on a mission here just an observation. That and the general decline in social attitudes has ruined a lot of areas in Sheffield. Luckily i dont live there.

add to this the demolition of the Norfolk Park tower blocks and now park hill and you see a picture emerging and not a very pleasant one I no there were decent people in all the above but it only takes one problem family to attract all the scum on an estate my vision for the future is a nice big compound with electric 12ft fences chuck them on there and let them rob off each other whilst decent people get to live without fear of being mugged by the little s***s think the council will listen?

:rolleyes: well i have not been on here for along time ,my god same old threads, same people still saying the same old things ,but guess wot they still live on gleadless or sorry the poor things cant move of here cos the council will not move them or they can't buy a houses in the place were they wish to go

well i do feel so sorry for you(not)

wake up its the same every where gleadless is still a good estate and has alot of good people on it

so please stop picking on gleadless all the time and give us all a break please because its getting boring thank you

Gleadless is not a good estate, statistically the crime rate and levels of domestic problems are rivalling the Manor and Pitsmoor, anyone who chooses to glorify it and say it's still a nice place to live are either A) deluded, B) a drug dealer C) a car thief, D)stupid.

I don't live here because I like it, I live here because I needed a house this size and this is all I could afford. It depresses me to come home each day. I hate even driving through the area to get home.

Frankly it embarasses me to tell people where I live, there are some good people here but they are swamped and tainted by the walking nightmares who unfortunately have the right to be here too.

The top part of Gleadless, as previously mentioned, is a much better place to be. Tragically some of us are stuck here due to lack of finances but I can assure you, we'll be gone as soon as possible and those of you who love it can all rot in Gleadless together if you like it so much.

For those families who are suffering the crime, the noise, the vandalism and so on, I sympathise with you and I urge you to continue calling the police. Eventually something will be done, though I suspect a carpet bomb might be the only chance.

Gleadless is not a good estate, statistically the crime rate and levels of domestic problems are rivalling the Manor and Pitsmoor, anyone who chooses to glorify it and say it's still a nice place to live are either A) deluded, B) a drug dealer C) a car thief, D)stupid.

I don't live here because I like it, I live here because I needed a house this size and this is all I could afford. It depresses me to come home each day. I hate even driving through the area to get home.

The top part of Gleadless, as previously mentioned, is a much better place to be. Tragically some of us are stuck here due to lack of finances but I can assure you, we'll be gone as soon as possible and those of you who love it can all rot in Gleadless together if you like it so much.

For those families who are suffering the crime, the noise, the vandalism and so on, I sympathise with you and I urge you to continue calling the police. Eventually something will be done, though I suspect a carpet bomb might be the only chance.

:o well thank you for sharing your views with us ,guess wot iam non off the above thank you very much ,just cos this is your view dont expected everyone to be the same thank you very much,

so tell me were that makes me a drug dealer ,car thief ect ect ect dont juged every book by its cover ok i will leave it at that goodnite

i can't recall Gleadless Valley ever having any decent parts?

Potentially the area could be fantastic place to live with all its woods, parks and green spaces but this obviously isnt good enough or appreciated by most.

Gleadless townend and Charnock have a overall better clientele though just a shame theyre so close to all the neanderthalic specimens living in Gleadless Valley.

Can i just say, on behalf of all the decent, hard-working, law-abiding citizens of Gleadless Valley, who, despite all the ****e spouted on this forum by people who couldn't point our area out on a map, are very much in the majority; can i just say **** right off?

when they demolished the Kelvin flats, the last people to move out were mainly the 'difficult to re-home' tenants, guess where they ended up, in the tower blocks on Norfolk Park, i'm not going to say that we did not have problems before then, because we did, however it became a lot worse once Kelvin had been cleared, we also had a lot of temp acom in the tower blocks which also caused major problems, however since the tower blocks have been demolished the estate is a much better place. (I have lived here for 17 years and used to live in a tower block)

We still have problems with kids who have got nothing to do as there is little provision for them and at the moment we have no shops or community facilities but eventually the re-development of the area will be complete (not sure if it will be in my life time :hihi: but we can dream!)

Can i just say, on behalf of all the decent, hard-working, law-abiding citizens of Gleadless Valley, who, despite all the ****e spouted on this forum by people who couldn't point our area out on a map, are very much in the majority, can i just say **** right off?

:hihi: well said gabby nice to see there is same understanding people out there who stand up for were they live thank you

Im neither deluded, nor a drug dealer, nor a car thief, nor stupid. I've lived in Woodseats, Meersbrook and Nether Edge, supposedly 'better' areas of Sheffield, and i'd rather live on Gleadless Valley than any of em. I've certainly experienced less crime on GV than, say, Woodseats.

Example for you: I lived on Woodseats for 18 months, burgled twice. Lived on GV for 5 years, nowt. Went abroad on holiday in 2004, left car on street, UNLOCKED! Nobody touched it...

What does all this prove? Nowt really, except crime happens anywhere and everywhere in Sheffield. Its a big city after all.....

Gleadless isnt the best place to live in the world but it certainly isnt the worst.

Anyone who buys a house there and then whines about it is (and im sorry if this offends) pretty silly really and they should have researched the area a bit more beofre making such a major purchase.