Gleadless, where did it go wrong?

Myself B1 And Valley Mob have all spoken to councillor R Telfor And Gary Weatheral so have the youths. We attended meetings with them in the hope we could get a youth club started. We have also had talks with the Headteacher at a local school to see if we could use their premises in the holidays or at night to run playschemes with the children but i have to admit NOT because we have any trouble with youths simply because we no they are bored and there is nothing around here for the kids to do

wright as you can see ZEBRA =original,me,b1 have tryed and tryed to do what we can till were blue in the face

there is know one like us lot that have gone to meetings ,writ to people ,we are forever trying to get things for the youths but all we get is brick walls as we need to go by this rule and that rule in other words pxxxoff we not botherd what you lot would like to do

we have all been on know end of courses been polices checked hoping that it mint help us to get some where

the kids try to play football and the polices came telled them if they did'nt stop it they would take the ball of them ,and yes i was there when it happend cos i nelly got locked up meshelf cos i ripped in to them and gave them wot for ,i can understand why theys kids get mad with them cos they think there it with the powers they have now they just get me :mad: :mad:

but yes we will not give up and we will keep trying as the kids around here are not bad kids if you get to know them :love:

Cant beleieve some of these threads i live on overend and couldnt tell you the last time i can remember any trouble !! And like been stated it no good everyone saying this that and other join in with the rest and do something about it

I also live on Overend...lived here 3 years next week. I moved off Longley, which also has a bad rep. I aint had one tiny bit of trouble, or anything to moan or rant about....Friends that have come to visit me have commented on how quiet it is in the evenings.

For the house prices....I paid £76,000 for this house....In the state it was in, it needed some work, so wonder how much it would sell for now?

Myself B1 And Valley Mob have all spoken to councillor R Telfor And Gary Weatheral so have the youths. We attended meetings with them in the hope we could get a youth club started. We have also had talks with the Headteacher at a local school to see if we could use their premises in the holidays or at night to run playschemes with the children but i have to admit NOT because we have any trouble with youths simply because we no they are bored and there is nothing around here for the kids to do

So living in an area surrounded by loads of open green spaces huge woodlands great parks with good amenities and on the edge of Derbyshire isn't good enough for the young people you know on Gleadless valley? probably free courtesy of the council?

Why cant people just be respectful and more appreciative of what they've got? instead of wanting everything provided for them all the time?

Don't call me a liar, there are plenty of HOUSES for under 94k and if you insist on quoting me try to get it right. I never said there were NONE above 94k.

You're jus tbeing argumentative and frankly it makes you look silly.

Most other people have said 'ok, I'm up for a meeting', you insist on picking spots and trying to make me wrong.

I'm not, all my facts are sourced.

Grow up. Or do you need a youth club to give you something better to do with your time :D

Tut tut tut.

Valley, I'd really like to know more. Not quite sure how to transfer the info around but I'd really like to know who has refused you, which groups and on what grounds?

If I can't do it then I can't but if I'm armed with facts to being with then perhaps I might succeed with help. Looks like you tried hard and that info is really useful so please let's not lose it - I don't want to just repeat all the same work.

So living in an area surrounded by loads of open green spaces huge woodlands great parks with good amenities and on the edge of Derbyshire isn't good enough for the young people you know on Gleadless valley? probably free courtesy of the council?

Why cant people just be respectful and more appreciative of what they've got? instead of wanting everything provided for them all the time?

As that been said some how i dont think so !!! thought it said had been moved off open fields were they was playing and who as asked for things free apart from help is that so wrong what are council taxes paid for ? The newfield tenants hall fine for tea dances,bingo night etc why not rent it to zebra and them to run a youth club ? WITH THEIR OWN FUNDS.:rant: :rant:

Ok, I wasn't going to get drawn into the debate but here goes nothing ...

I came to live on Callow flats with ex- in 1994. I accept it's gone downhill now from what I've heard but when we were there, we had no real issues (one broken car window, which could happen anywhere and neighbour's grandkids had a loud party one night). There were a few occasional broken communal windows and the Police came to visit in the wee small hours but they weren't coming for us and we weren't affected personally. In 2001 we moved across on to the Plowright maisonettes where I still live. When I was first on my own here in 2003, some kids set an old sofa alight in the stairwell and there was a lot of smoke damage but nobody died and I can't recall anything that serious since. I'm not aware that anyone on here has ever been burgled or anything like that. As I said in my original first-page post, I have uninterrupted views of greenery right out to the Peak District (eveyrone comments on the view and there are a lot more expensive properties out there with much worse views), on a sunny day I can lounge on my balcony for hours without anyone really seeing me, I have good close neighbours and the rest appear to be ok - kids are a bit loud in the summer but they're kids. The Police whizz past at regular intervals but for the most part they're always going past (yep, there goes one now). I know the JOG and immediately surrounding area has a reputation but looking at the houses up that part of Blackstock to the roundabout, most appear to be privately owned and well-maintained - if it was that bad, I'm not convinced that people would pay to buy their house and then spend that kind of money on nice windows and block-paved drives with decent cars stood on them.

My car has been parked outside for the 3 years since I bought it without getting more than a scuff from an incompetent driver or a scratch (and the worst scratches happened at work, on the leafy part of Collegiate Crescent where houses are currently selling for £500k). I use the shops at Newfield Green without feeling particularly intimidated, I keep myself to myself and mind my own business. I find it sad when I see kids playing on the precinct who think they're having a day out while their parents get drunk on a sunny afternoon outside The Blackstock, but that's the life some people have. I was brought up by great parents, who took us out on day trips and yes, to pubs, but only occasionally for birthdays or other special treats. I went to Girls' Brigade and a swimming club and did my Duke of Edinburgh Award. We had a large group of friends who would congregate in the local park to play rounders, footie, or just hang out without causing anyone any trouble. None of us as I recall went to a youth club or any other type of club but amazingly, way back in the 1980s, we had other trouble-free ways of occupying ourselves.

Ok, kids hang out on our stairs but again they're not bothering me or my property and if that's their idea of excitement then so be it. There are the idiots on motorbikes which are dangerous and annoying but show me an area where that doesn't happen; it's not just around G.V. I'd rather they were on the green space behind the tip than on the pavements around where I live but then that annoys other people. I don't know that there are any asylum seekers around my side of G.V. although I've heard there are some in the Callow blocks now. Yes, personally I do consider this to be the better side of the Valley but that's my opinion and no doubt others will disagree.

I have a good job, I pay full rent and council tax, all my own bills, my car is taxed, tested, insured and paid for. As I said before, I don't personally like the Manor but I don't tar all its residents with the same brush as the few who spoil it for the majority and I resent being tarred with that same brush when it comes to G.V. A friend of mine lives on the Ashleigh estate which, let's face it, is next to part of the Arbourthorne. For £165k or whatever her house is worth now, I'd want better neighbours than that. I like living here on G.V., but maybe that's because I'm a little too insular and mind no one's business but my own, or maybe because I don't have any kids to be concerned about.

Don't call me a liar, there are plenty of HOUSES for under 94k and if you insist on quoting me try to get it right. I never said there were NONE above 94k.

You're jus tbeing argumentative and frankly it makes you look silly.

hmmmm i'll think you find you did...you were implying that no houses on G.V go for any more than 95k :loopy:

None go for more than 95k even with the adaptations to 4 beds and porches or conservatories.

coming home from work last night at herdings terminus two trucks where pulling out a burnt out astra from the black path at side of woods.

yet again, car crime. hopefully the idiots hurt themselves as the front end was damaged :hihi:

hmmmm i'll think you find you did...you were implying that no houses on G.V go for any more than 95k :loopy:

None where I live! That's a certainty.

The rest of GV might be different but even then it's not a high price area.

The houses around me never go over 95k.

yeah, that's right, the council have a specific "department of child-gates..."

also, I never knew that anyone had sought asylum in sheffield from the USA. that must be a first.

This family came from Sou St Marie in Michigan, her father works at Milden Hall U.S.A.F. base, his Grangfather is a very rich man in Jorden. The only thing they had to pay for outof their money that we the tax payer gave them was the telephone bill everything else was provided including child gates. He had a car which he should not have till he was accepted by the Home Office, this man was also let off for not paying tax on money he illegally earned. They were re-housed in two days and freinds of mine have been stuck in a one bedroom flat for over ten years and all they are told is "you have to bid for properties" but this family didnt irespective of any trouble they had.

This family came from Sou St Marie in Michigan, her father works at Milden Hall U.S.A.F. base, his Grangfather is a very rich man in Jorden. The only thing they had to pay for outof their money that we the tax payer gave them was the telephone bill everything else was provided including child gates. He had a car which he should not have till he was accepted by the Home Office, this man was also let off for not paying tax on money he illegally earned. They were re-housed in two days and freinds of mine have been stuck in a one bedroom flat for over ten years and all they are told is "you have to bid for properties" but this family didnt irespective of any trouble they had.

are people really :o by this (no)cos we all know they get everything even thow were being told that they dont ,can we say or do anything about it nooooooooooo cos its there human rights ,well i want to know what rights are kids have to look forward to in this country cos all i see is us english are now the under dogs of this country

did'nt want to have to get on this subject but most english people have got to the point were there pxxxoff with the wrights and wrongs in this country ,1 rule for them and another for us sorry had to get it of my chest ,all we can do is :) and get on with things :love:

the reason the estate is in the state it is, is because of the youths that dont have an ounce of respect for anything anymore and therefore proceed to graffitti, rob, damage and generally turn the estate into a ****hole... it's also become rife with immigrants and such which doesn't help, i for one have lived here all my life and i cant wait to move off the estate! :(:mad:

You have hit the nail right on the head cant agree more ive lived at gleadless all my life and the last few years have gone downhill very fast due to the undisiplined and rude youths.