Charles kirkby and Sons ex employees

Hi I worked for kirkby in 83 to 86 I was a polisher with neil and mark amp and Chris learned a lot in them days remembered philip shirt mavis still see John slater now an again as he lives near me great memories Ron Hudson pete webster and all the lady liners enjoyed the brill Xmas does they used to have and Vera loved Vera the tea lady what a women .in those days there was a lot of kids that came from aslheigh school to work here I would love to meet up with my fellow workers from that era remember so much let me know when the next reunion is Id love to join ya darren oldfield

hi just spotted your bit about kirkbys    worked there for about 6 years from 53 onwards     you are probably from a different era than i am  or should i say i am from a different era than you are   some of the names that i remenber  terry twelvtrees  ron hudson  pete webster  tom sharp in the sanders   i can go back a bit further    spotted ray brown about a year ago    one thing about  the people  who worked there     they all got on well with each other    a lot of the people were settled there and never wanted to leave

I’m so happy to have stumbled across these posts. I worked at Kirkbys from 1962-1970. I remember some of the names & some of the people you have mentioned & they bring back fantastic memories. I also remember going to Myras wedding. 

Apart from the names you have already mentioned, I also remember Gerald Williams, Glynn, Stuart & many more but (can’t remember their surnames). You will see that my married name is Christine Powell, but when I worked at Kirkbys, my name was Christine Harvey. Would be great to hear from others!!  

Just seen your post. I worked there from 1964/1967. Worked in Mr Selbys warehouse. My grandma Emmy Byrne was the errand lady, she used to fetch dinners for everyone. My maiden name was Byrne also. Remember, Mr John Miller, Cliff Robert, John Slater, Terry Twelvetrees, Ingrid Reaney. Sandra Day. Lovely to see your post. Brought back happy memories. 

In particular, a reply refering to Darren Oldfield's post in 2015. My mum worked at Charles Kirkby's for some years running upto mid 1980's. I think anyone who worked there during this period would know her simply as 'Vera - The Tea Lady'. She was a very bubbly, friendly lady and I know she enjoyed her work at Kirkby's. I can't be sure what date she started work here but she was certainly there in 1976 possibly a few years before. She'd often bring my young sister, Tracey, into work during the school holidays. She worked here when the premises were on Arundel Street and then moved down to Sydney Street. I recognise some of the names mentioned over the different posts, some of the people my Mum would talk about. Her friend Audrey worked there aswell in the Liners department, I think. Also Gillian Claxton, another friend who lived close to us, she was there (Arundel Street) probably late 70's and was it Wendy in reception/office at Sydney street.

I remember my Mum collecting sandwiches and drinks etc, from the Sandwich shop on Howard street and I believe there was a Chip Shop aswell. I know they had great Christmas parties, my Mum loved every minute of it!

I got the opportunity to work at Kirkby's in 1978/9 but only for a few months. I worked with an old guy who used to burn all the wood shavings and trimmings in the back furnace. I can't remember his name now (may be Arthur??). Anyway, my (Terry) three month stretch came to an abrupt end when there was a blow back of burning sawdust from the furnace which hit me head on and stuck my Nylon overall to my skin. No compensation or H&S as such those days, I went home never to return with some nasty burns!! Thankfully they healed well but I still have the souvenir scar or two still there. Mum left mid 1980's I believe from Sydney street, I think she got made redundant. She was presented with a beautiful polished cabinet and some lead crystal glasses, which I still have today at home. Mum sadly passed away in 1995, aged 66 with Cancer. She made a lot of good friends at Kirkby's and I know she loved her time there. Be great to know if anyone remembers her from that period. (Terry, her son)

Hi my name is nick.i came across this .I remember Darren old field  Vera The twins Pete Webster John slater  Bernard Saunders. Phil shirt  Mavis and Tim Buxton. Alot of the girls in the liners Lynn Bainbridge  melanie siddall.David Drabble  Warren Bridges in the polishers.i worked in the polishers 1986to1994ish. I left and moved to Coventry to which is where I still live alot older and wiser .had great times there looking back. Ray brown was a grump but when you got to know him he was a great man. Also Sean that worked  with Ray. I doubt this gets updated much but be nice ro hear from anyone. All the best Nick