CCTV To be Installed at Hillsborough Corner

It removes confusion. Theres lots of busy junctions in the city. If youre in a hurry avoid them

You mean avoid them by going miles out of your way and thereby clogging up another junction? Still confused I'm afraid.:huh:

Lets get a few things straight here.The problem has always been that the correct infrastructure wasn't built in the first place. For a start;

1/ Hillsborough desperately needs a by-pass.With Penistone Road becoming a single carriageway in the near future due to the proposal for a dedicated bus lane to be built(which I am in favour of),the widening of Club Mill Road, which runs at the side of the River Don past Wardsend Cemetary and below Parkwood Springs exiting at Neepsend, to create a dual carriageway is vital in relieving traffic on both Penistone Road and Hillsborough corner. This would tie in well with the proposed new bridge over the River Don linking Middlewood Road with Claywheels Lane taking more traffic away from Hillsborough shopping centre!

2/When originally built Supertram should have been in a dedicated bus and tram lane from the Langsett estate to Hillsborough corner thereby widening this part of Langsett Road to 3 lanes,2 towards Hillsborough corner and 1 towards town. There would also be a short section of 4 lanes (2 in each direction) between Ripley Street and the Deep End to facilitate the right turn of traffic up Ripley Street from Hillsborough corner. This would enable Hillsborough corner to operate successfully without restrictions for both public transport and cars!

3/Cars heading down Ripley Street,from Walkley,would be allowed to turn left (as well as right) towards Hillsborough corner to either Middlewood Road or Holme Lane therefore allowing the bottom of Walkley Lane (Freemasons pub and bridge) to be closed off to all traffic. There would be no right turn from Langsett Road into Bradfield Road.

4/Taplin road between Hillsborough Place and Hawthorn Road would also be closed to all traffic with cars travelling down Hillsborough Place towards Holme Lane able to turn both left and right into Holme Lane with traffic lights controlling the junction.

NB. These proposals will only work in conjunction with the 'Hillsborough bypass'!

I'd love to know where you get your information Surg ;)

I've heard talk about a dedicated bus lane (or even guided bus system) along Penistone Road before - but as far as I know no proposals have been submitted to Council, and I will be making lots of noise about it if and when they are!

Would be very interested to see the route you're proposing for Club Mill Road. As for the Claywheels bypass, I personally think it's a great idea that's long overdue.

As far as Taplin Road is concerned, I understand there was a report to cabinet last year asking for possible traffic calming solutions - but unfortunately they've put it on ice until the Hillsborough Corner modifications are finished. It is an accident black spot though, and will definitely need something doing about it!

Personally I think the new cameras are welcome - but it seems silly that they've spent all this money before looking at cheaper solutions such as:

• Remodelling junctions in the surrounding area so that traffic flows more naturally onto Penistone Road
  • Altering kerbs and road markings to make it more obvious where the bus/tram gates are
  • Clearer signage in the surrounding area

People ignoring bus lanes is a problem city-wide, although there are plenty of bus lanes in the city that don't suffer nearly as much - I'm certain that part of the reason is that they look a lot more like bus lanes!

You mean avoid them by going miles out of your way and thereby clogging up another junction? Still confused I'm afraid.:huh:

May I suggest therapy:)

I dont think the council are attempting to reduce congestion going on their efforts and plans elsewhere.

I'd love to know where you get your information Surg ;)

I've heard talk about a dedicated bus lane (or even guided bus system) along Penistone Road before - but as far as I know no proposals have been submitted to Council, and I will be making lots of noise about it if and when they are!

Would be very interested to see the route you're proposing for Club Mill Road. As for the Claywheels bypass, I personally think it's a great idea that's long overdue.

As far as Taplin Road is concerned, I understand there was a report to cabinet last year asking for possible traffic calming solutions - but unfortunately they've put it on ice until the Hillsborough Corner modifications are finished. It is an accident black spot though, and will definitely need something doing about it!

Personally I think the new cameras are welcome - but it seems silly that they've spent all this money before looking at cheaper solutions such as:

• Remodelling junctions in the surrounding area so that traffic flows more naturally onto Penistone Road
  • Altering kerbs and road markings to make it more obvious where the bus/tram gates are
  • Clearer signage in the surrounding area

People ignoring bus lanes is a problem city-wide, although there are plenty of bus lanes in the city that don't suffer nearly as much - I'm certain that part of the reason is that they look a lot more like bus lanes!

I try and come up with solutions (albeit some are expensive solutions) by simply spending time around Hillsborough corner, looking at the traffic flow, coming up with a range of options and ideas, making a judgement on how traffic flow further afield might be affected (such as Malin Bridge/Herries Rd/New Inner Ring Road etc) and then coming up with a final solution of what needs to be done irrespective of cost.

As for Club Mill Road, the route is already there. The road just needs widening and a couple of companies (one's a scrap yard?) between Herries Road and the existing Club Mill Road need relocating. This area running past Wardsend Cemetary out to Neepsend has been economically defunct for years. It is the perfect place for a bypass as it is far away from housing but at the same time it would help in the regeneration of industry in the Upper Don Valley!

I try and come up with solutions (albeit some are expensive solutions) by simply spending time around Hillsborough corner, looking at the traffic flow, coming up with a range of options and ideas, making a judgement on how traffic flow further afield might be affected (such as Malin Bridge/Herries Rd/New Inner Ring Road etc) and then coming up with a final solution of what needs to be done irrespective of cost.

!

Do you do this for a job or just have a lot of time on your hands, or maybe just love a leo sayer in Legends?

If its not your job then I suggest you are wasting your time, as the council wont be up for suggestions from laymen

Turning left or right on to Bradfield Rd from Hillsborough is illegal.

Well done, you've won a cookie.

the council wont be up for suggestions from laymen

Even though it is the "layman" who, invariably, suffers when they ignore our thoughts (until election results force a rethink:hihi: - :P to the ex labour councillor for Hillsborough:clap:).

The trams screwed Hillsborough corner up short and simple. They need relocating onto Penistone Rd (dream I know)

About time. They've been promising this for years. Let's have it on West St/Glossop Road too please.

About time. They've been promising this for years. Let's have it on West St/Glossop Road too please.

Next site on the list I believe.

The trams screwed Hillsborough corner up short and simple. They need relocating onto Penistone Rd (dream I know)

Why would putting the trams on the road away from all the residential and shopping areas (i.e. the people that use them) be good for the city?

The rest of the restrictions though are nonesensical, hence why 500 vehicles/hr ignore them.

The reason they are ignored is because they are not enforced.