CCTV To be Installed at Hillsborough Corner

The restrictions will be from 7am to 7pm on Langsett Road from after the Ripley Street junction northbound and on Middlewood Road from after the Hillsborough Road junction southbound. The ban on right turning traffic (except buses, trams and authorised vehicles) from Holme Lane into Langsett Road will remain 24 hour. The banned left turn for all vehicles from Middlewood Road into Bradfield Road will remain. All these restrictions apply every day of the week.

You will be able to turn both left and right out of Rudyard Road at any time.

The background to the decision is given in this report to the March 2006 Area Planning Board http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/?pgid=77929&fs=s

Stupid, why should there be so many restrictions when the traffic is light, it increases journey times, frustrates drivers, confuses anyone not local and will probably generate a lot of fines (which probably means the council loves the idea).

Authorise the commencement of detailed design of traffic calming measures for Taplin Road, Hillsborough Road and Hillsborough Place, subject to further consultation. The possible implementation of a Residents Parking Scheme in this area was also discussed in the report.

Traffic calming. If it was any slower during the rush hour it would be stationary, and the only lack of calm is amongst drivers having to take stupid detours around residential streets to get where they are going

· Endorse the appointment of Police staff dedicated to enforcing South Yorkshire’s public transport priority measures such as bus lanes and tram gates, and authorize a financial contribution to the funding from the Local Transport Plan (LTP) Programme.

All subject to further reports to the Area Planning and Highways Board.

And if that's not a great big waste of money and police time then I don't know what is.

We have a thread running about a spate of recent burglaries in Hillsborough, but the council would rather spend money and police time enforcing ill thought out traffic restrictions. Shows what there priorities are though!

I particularly like this bit.

I expect the residents of Rudyard road consider it a stroke of genius

Following advice from the DfT, exemption from the Bus / Tram Gate restriction is not possible for residents in the Rudyard Road area. However, the proposals will provide legal access for half of the day.

So legal access for half the day (or rather, for the night).

Come on Cyclone, you might as well give up. It doesn't matter how much we moan, or point out how stupid it is, or what proportion of the population doesn't want it, the council knows best and will move heaven and earth to make sure that it happens.

As for traffic calming measures on Taplin Road, words fail me.

I feel a broken van stuck in the middle of the road coming on

This makes me annoyed but I haven't got an answer. My car got nicked in June and I took the bus and tram for almost a year until someone took pity on me and gave their old one becasue I need one for work. I live in Hillsborough and spent years watching cars go through the gates, including police cars (apparently they can even if they are not attending an emergency). For years I have cut down side roads, streets where kids are playing and houses are in order to get in and out of Hillsborough while the main road (designed for heavier traffic) and with shops on where people are meant to stop - is not supposed to be used - thereby using more petrol every journey. I have lived in Hillsborough for 23 years and the new traffic system is not better. I agree we should use public transport and I use it where I can but a) never have any change so have to buy something or suffer the scorn - making my journey cost about £4 becasue I don't want to make the shop keeper take 20p for chewing gum and have to give me the change and b) Sheffield bus drivers are truly the most miserable bunch I have come across (with some exceptions I agree). Does anyone remember the Monty Python sketch? Its so true.

I keep reading threads regarding these Tram gates. Anyone care to explain where they are?...I dont visit Hillsborough very often so it would be good to know before i receive a £60 fine......

If it helps, i know where the Deep End is :hihi:

Stupid, why should there be so many restrictions when the traffic is light, it increases journey times, frustrates drivers, confuses anyone not local and will probably generate a lot of fines (which probably means the council loves the idea).

You've clearly not looked at the junction then. If you had, you'd know that anyone that tries to turn left on to Bradfield Road (ignoring the Ahead Only restriction) blocks the junction as it is a) not physically possible to get anything longer than a Fiat round the 90 degree bend b) extremely dangerous as the current phasing means that pedestrians will be crossing Bradfield Road as they turn in.

Turning right from Holme Lane probably causes fewer problems, other than severely affecting the public transport systems.

I keep reading threads regarding these Tram gates. Anyone care to explain where they are?...I dont visit Hillsborough very often so it would be good to know before i receive a £60 fine......

They're at the Deep End (as used to be called). If you drive with your eyes open, you'll spot the signs/restrictions.

18 June eh? Which year? Haven't we been repeatedly told of various deadlines going back many years now? I'll believe it when I see it.

I'll be pleased if/when it does happen. Particularly as someone who nearly got knocked of their bike there the other day by a selfish motorist who shouldn't even have been in the junction (and then the nutcase man decided to go and park in the parent & child only space at Tesco).

I'll be very interested to see the results, I suspect it will dramatically improve peak-hour flow around that junction as it won't be constantly blocked by/phased in favour of the traffic coming along Langsett/Middlewood. Time will tell.

Turning left onto bradfield is a problem, but wasn't the corner redesigned to make it deliberately so? The rest of the restrictions though are nonesensical, hence why 500 vehicles/hr ignore them.

There is an area panel meeting at Hillsborough Sports Arena tonight at 6pm if anyone is interested and wants to either find out more, or have a say. As requested by the Hillsborough residents' association (HRA), traffic issues is an agenda item, and council officers will be there. The general feeling of the HRA is that although the tram gates are necessary, they should only be operational at peak times, similar to bus lanes in other parts of the city.

Turning left onto bradfield is a problem, but wasn't the corner redesigned to make it deliberately so? The rest of the restrictions though are nonesensical, hence why 500 vehicles/hr ignore them.

Turning left or right on to Bradfield Rd from Hillsborough is illegal.