Liverpool Street

A chap called George Hodge worked with us,in the 60s and he came off Liverpool Street.

We lived on Liverpool St after moving from Clay St due to William Wilds Foundry wanted the houses demolished.The family at 87 moved too Tinsley and we moved in their house, I moved out in 1964 and my parents eventually died there.

Liverpool Street was down Newhall Road just before the bridge that runs over the Don there was a firm called Monagram that made cutlery on that street

---------- Post added 23-02-2013 at 15:22 ----------

is mick grayson related to marolyn grayson.

i knew a marolyn grayson melvin, steven,paul all lived near huntsmans garden school

I knew 16 Liverpool St,I met my late wife in1955 and she lived there,Siddall was her maiden name, her Dad was called Edward Ted her Mum was called Frances,as to when they moved into the house I am not sure.Liverpool St was just before the bridge coming from Attercliffe Rd on Newhall road,there is a building on top of the bridge which was The Lodge Inn

Siddalls lived on the corner of Swallow Place and Liverpool St opposite where Monograms either is or was. Near neighbours were the Williamsons and further down the Finches who ran trips too Blackpool Illuminations

Edited by macstewart
wrong names

Hiya

Does anyone have any memories about living in Liverpool Street in the 30's & 40's please.

My dad was born & grew up down there,his surname his Grayson.His mum was called Beatrice & his grandad was called Israel.

Thanks

Hi chocoholic and everyone, click on this http://www.picturesheffield.co.uk and type in Liverpool Street and you should get some mid 1960's photos of Liverpool Street showing the old properties prior to demolishion, and also some around 2005.

Regards, Peter.

Edited by PeterR

My cousin kept the Beer-Off on the corner of Clay St and in that same yard was Brenda Northedge the Houlston the Taylors and in the next yard Hazel Dickinson The Hodges a lad called Ron but I can't remember his surname Val Beech and a bit further up a girl called Norma. On the other side were the Ramsdens,Powdrills or East,O'connors,Stevensons,Midlanes. Further up the Wisemans, Marie Persivals,the Towers and I think Mottroms.

My father used to be the manager at Jack Flaherty's steel works on Liverpool Street in the mid to late 70's. I'm relatively sure it was the white building on the left in the streetview picture here:

http://goo.gl/maps/3H0Je

I remember going there many times as a teenager and seeing the flattened areas opposite where the housing used to be. I think there may have been one or two houses still standing but the rest was derelict.

re post from simonjay, the white buidling on the left of the picture was the Monogram Cutlery Works in the 1960's and still was in 1977/78. After that I have no idea what it became. I remember the houses opposite being lived in, but not sure when the were knocked down. I was at monogram from 1963 to 1967. Monogram was in fact I.S.Desarden and Sons Limited, old Isaac Samuel Dearden started manufacturing cuitlery earlier after he retired frokm a career in the Army. He was a Major in the Tenth Royal Hussars - started as a boy soldier. He bought a few smaller firms in the late 50's and early 60's, including F.A.Kirk, and started manufacturing a large range of cutlery, penknives, scissors etc. I understand manufacturing ceased in the late 60's and they were taken over by a firm named Installex. I remember some of the girls who worked there, but many did not livbe near to Liverpool Street. The only one I remember, she will be about 60/61 years of age now, was Elaine Stevens who lived on Newhall Road. In the houses on the right hand side before Liverpool Street, when approaching from Attercliffe. I also remember there was a pub and a fish and chip shop at the top of Liverpool Street/Newhall Road where we used to go some lunchtimes. Down Liverpool Street opposite Monogram was a corner shop where we could get hot and cold sandwiches - I remember that they were quite good.

Mmmm lot of years ago now - Grey Eminence - Subang Jaya - Malaysia

The firm you remember was originally Hadfields Heckla Works and the upstairs part was actually the canteen. It then became Millspaugh and workstaff used to arrive on a back-loader double decker bus for their lunch and while they were having lunch we used to play on the buses.

Edited by macstewart
Mistake

Hi chocoholic

Arthur your dad is my cousin I think. Was his mum called Beat and does he have a sister called Joan? I was a bridesmaid at Joan's wedding.

i am doing my family tree and found that in 1885 Lillie Oates Nortcliffe lived at 123 Liverpool St Attercliffe Sheffield to another nortcliffe called teddy oats any information on Attercliffe and Liverpool street would be lovely :)

Hi mtnortcliff- welcome to the Forum! :) There are a few photos of Liverpool Street and the surrounding area on the picturesheffield.com website. Here is a link to one of the photos, and a link to a map on the sheffieldhistory.co.uk site - Liverpool Street is in the upper left corner. Click on the map to enlarge - the location of No 123 is shown. Here is an "overlay" map - there is a blue dot towards the left-hand side. Click on this and drag it to the left to see a modern aerial view.