Killamarsh Empire Picture House

Did anyone used to go to the old picture house. It was the last one in the area and people used to come from Kiveton, Wales, Eckington, Beighton, Mosborough especially on Friday night. The owner used to be known as Maigret as he used to stand in the shadows at the back smoking his pipe. He used to turn on the house lights if the crowd got too rowdy. I remember it being front page news on the Star that "Spud gun gangs close Killamarsh Picture House". Anybody else remember the old flea pit?

used to go every saturday morning with kids from beighton,last film i saw there was dambusters...how sad is that

The back row had double seats and was part of the learning experience :o:hihi:

I may be wrong on this one, but wasn't it owned by the Ward family who owned the Rex at Intake?

Gosh, that brings back memories, used to go there on a Friday night, never used to bother what the film was, but we all used to go from Eckington. Do you remember Fag Ash Lill, who used to weild the torch.!!

was this the one that stood where the doctors surgery is now. Think they have a print in the surgery of it?

The Empire was located where the Doctors is now. The attendants were called Nellie and Queenie I beleive. Thursday nights they used to show the old Hammer Horror films or something else for the 18 market, you really felt grown up if you managed to get in.

Queenie, thats right, I think Fag Ash Lill, was the Rex at Intake.

Did anyone used to go to the old picture house. It was the last one in the area and people used to come from Kiveton, Wales, Eckington, Beighton, Mosborough especially on Friday night. The owner used to be known as Maigret as he used to stand in the shadows at the back smoking his pipe. He used to turn on the house lights if the crowd got too rowdy. I remember it being front page news on the Star that "Spud gun gangs close Killamarsh Picture House". Anybody else remember the old flea pit?

I was there that particular Friday Evening at The Empire Cinema, Killamarsh and had a Spud Gun! I was so worried after they closed it down early and called the Police, that I threw my Spud Gun into a garden along Kirkcroft Lane on my way home to Norwood. I thought better of it the next morning though and went back early to retrieve it. The Sheffield Star did run with the story as their Main Headline soon after the event. I kept a copy of the front page as a Souvenier for years, but don't know where it is now. Nelly and Queenie were the names of the two Attendants and it was owned by the same family who operated the Rex at Intake. 'Fag Ash Lil' was not at Killamarsh Cinema. I remember the gent - 'Maigret', who used to smoke his pipe standing at the back sometimes on Friday Evenings, he may have been part of the Ward family. It was often so rowdy on Friday Evenings, that the lights were left on for most of the performance. I remember sago balls fired from pea-shooters going through the projection light and the odd egg flying about! The local village Policeman would also sometimes call in and stand at the back as well. If anyone wants to search The Star Archives for the front page, ... I think that it happened sometime between 1963-66.

Edited by KILLAMAROY

The Empire was located where the Doctors is now. The attendants were called Nellie and Queenie I beleive. Thursday nights they used to show the old Hammer Horror films or something else for the 18 market, you really felt grown up if you managed to get in.

That was easy really,all you needed was one who looked 18/grown up..and they would open the fire doors where the toilets were located behind the thick curtains..then us "younger un's" would creep in..only trouble was "Nellie and Queenie" new most of us off the "White City" by first names,but i did see quite a few Dracula etc, films this way...I also had a well used spud gun..bought from Ralph Rivingtons more than likely.....friday nights...great times..and then the morning matinee on Saturday....magic

Check out Killamarsh.org I think you will it of great interest