Allotment Waiting Lists...

Just been reading through some of the messages here, and I can't help notice that a number of you are a bit confused as to the whereabouts of Longley Allotment site.

The crumbling shed that can be seen from Herries Road is actually part of Norwood Allotments. The LEAF plots back onto them and are deemed unreclaimable according to the people I've spoken to.

Regarding the Longley Site: If my memory serves me correctly, then the two garages that are next to eachother were not there originally, it was a group of garages set back from the road, like thwe ones you sometimes find around blocks of flats, and I'm almost certain that access to the area of what is now woodland could be gained through the garages. If I am right then could this mean that whoever owns the two garages that are now there built them unlawfully? Or is it more likely that the council sold of the land and hoped no one would ever question it?

I would appreciate any further information on this, as I really can't see anywhere else that these allotments could be, and I've been living around Southey/Longley all my life.

Keep Digging

Paul

The Longley allotments back onto the houses the other side of wood corridor from the Norwood site. They are basically unreachable and are parts of the house's back gardens. This was all looked into last summer and the Allotment people are well aware of it and were removing them from their lists as they are not available. Its like plaiting sand with these people. For more info speak to Kim from the allotment fed....it was her partner who was part of the expedition last summer.

If you travel up Herries Road, to its junction with LOngley Avenue you will see three shops set back off Herries Road, just 20/30 yards past the shops is the entrance to Herries Allotments

I've got a plot at Hagg Hill which is taking an age to clear. 30 odd tress on it after being left for 40 years. But thats another story.....

Its a 7 mile trip for me, whereas my nearest allotments are at Burncross, less than half a mile from home. I'm number 30 odd on the list there, for a site with 34 (ish ) plots. Having had a look around 2 months ago, 7 of those plots where unused.

I've let the allotment office know this weeks ago but haven't had an acknowledgement.:mad:

Jim

If you travel up Herries Road, to its junction with LOngley Avenue you will see three shops set back off Herries Road, just 20/30 yards past the shops is the entrance to Herries Allotments

Thats not correct, it is actually Norwood allotments mate.

I emailed the allotment office at the weekend about my frustration re waiting lists and long term unworked plots! Still waiting on a reply...........................

Absolutely outrageous!

I've just been on the phone to have my name added to Hagg Hill.

The nice lady in the office explained the procedure for waiting list allocation etc..

She said that notice to evict can only be served if the tenant fails to pay their annual rent!!

So basically, a tenant can keep a plot, neglected, unworked, a bramble thicket - as long as they pay the rent on it. :mad: How unfair! I am writing to our councillor and Mary Bagley to complain. That's just ridiculous. They are not obliged to work the plot! How stupid ... ooooh, quite cross now! :mad: So wasteful :mad:

Henrietta,

What you have been told is not true which is worrying given that it has come form the allotment office itself. Failure to pay rent will lead to an automatic eviction notice but it is not the only reason for a notice to quit to be issued. If a plot is unworked then unless there are extenuating circumstances the notice to improve/quit letters should be issued.

There are clearly big problems with the eviction system but you have been given duff info I'm afraid.

Ooooh now that outrages me even further! :mad:

How do you know this?

Where can I find out more, or find it printed/online?

Do people have something in their tenancy agreements to the effect of "look after it or risk being evicted"..?

I was also fed up with the level of neglect at our allotment site (Heeley and District) when we did a survey in May 2008 so I went to the Sheffield allotment federation meetings and was elected as one of the fed representatives. We are now working with the allotment office, parks and countryside dept. and councillors to try and improve various aspects of the system: one of which is the eviction process. People are basically taking the p*** but hopefully not for long...

Forgot to say that my recollection is that the tenancy agreement says something like 'tenants should keep their plot free of weeds'. This is rather draconian but it is the current tenancy agreement. Another aspect we're working on is 'what is a suitable use of an allotment'. That will be a tricky one...